How do you plot your books?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

How do you plot your books?

Post by sevencrows »

Do you use the three act structure, or do you go along with whatever you think of without planning? How do you come up with ideas?
adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

I usually just write a rough draft of my story ideas. When I found the one I like, I do an outline. After that, it's writing the prologue to beyond for me. I always try my best to fill in the middle to let it make sense to the overall story. I know how it begins and ends but the middle is always the hard part for me.
gilliansisley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gilliansisley.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by gilliansisley »

I don't do a 3 acts kind of thing... but I certainly try to ensure that there's enough of a climax vs. detailed narration to ensure that there aren't too many slow spots to make readers disengage. I go with what I enjoy when I read in YA as an avid reader myself, and go with that.
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

I usually don't plan out a book completely, as doing so can make me feel like I'm restricted on what to write. However, I always make sure that the story has enough of an idea that I have the climax and important parts already thought out.
davidvan1973
Favorite Author: Isaac Asimov
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2547

Post by davidvan1973 »

I start with a situation and go from there. I generally will have an idea of main characters and let them interact and go from there. I try and steer it towards the situation that I had started with, but it sometimes goes away from it. I can't handle outlines. I do use character sheets though - I find them very helpful in remember specific details about them - especially the minor characters that I dont deal with on a daily basis.
Bookgirl91
Favorite Author: Gregory Maguire
Currently Reading: Kill Creek
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3091

Post by Bookgirl91 »

I usually actually get the ending first, then the characters. From there, it's merely trying to write to the end using the characters. If something isn't going to work, they tend to let me know as their actions feel forced or not in their character design. It has led to me writing and rewriting chapters over and over again trying to sort out plot. But it's the best way I've found to keep my creative flow.
SMAhmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smahmed.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by SMAhmed »

I find it easier to write in a "go with the flow" sort of way, so no planning and just a general idea of what I want and where I want the story to go. For coming up with specific ideas in the story I usually read books from the genre I'm writing or I watch shows that are from a similar/adjacent genre in order to better understand tropes, how to do them, how to not do them.

Return to “Writing Discussion”