Getting Started: The Writing Roadmap

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
tommytutalo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Getting Started: The Writing Roadmap

Post by tommytutalo »

So you want to write a book? Well, as with most things in life the hardest part is to start, and the question is; where to begin?

1. Visualize.

Before even writing you need to think about a story you want to tell or a character you want to bring to life. You need to visualize both and manifest it in your mind. Spend a good amount of time doing this. This is the fun part where there are no rules, boundaries or regulations. Anything is possible and anything you imagine has the potential to grow and evolve into something great. This is where the seed is planted.

2. Manifest your thoughts.

After thinking about your story and character the next step to do is to now get all those thoughts down on paper. Write it all down. There is really no right or wrong way of doing this but what worked for me was first write out what the plot is in 1 paragraph, next divide the story up into three parts, beginning, middle and end and write a paragraph about each part. From there you can now begin to break the story down into chapters and start outlining the entire book, chapter by chapter. These could be 1-3 sentences, brief descriptions. As for the character/characters don’t put too much thought into who they are at this stage, because they will evolve and change during the writing of the story.

3. Building a frame.

The first two stages will act more like blueprints at this point. They will be your guide as you dive into actually writing the story. What worked for me and what I recommend is to just dive into the story, just start writing without worrying about structure, fancy words, spelling, grammatical errors, or how good or bad it is. Just write because when you finish your first draft by the time you get it published the story will have changed completely. Your job at this stage is to just beat out the entire manuscript. How long this takes is up to you and your life, work, writing balance. Usually a 300 page book could be written in what is the equivalent of a season, 3-4 months.

4. Balance.

The key to successfully writing a book is all about balance, how do you balance your life, work, and writing. If you are serious about writing a book you will have to find and make time to write each day. There are 24 hours in a day so there should be no excuses why you can’t devote at least 1 hour a day writing. Even if you are only able to write one paragraph or one sentence, it is progress and each day it will grow. Set a writing schedule and stick with it.

5. Reflect.

Congratulations, at this point you should have completed your first draft. The next thing to do, is to let your manuscript sit untouched for some time. This could be for 1-2 weeks, a month, or even what I have done before 1 year. Why? It’s a healthy habit to master because as it sits, you can relive the story, think about it, the changes you want to make and it helps clear your mind of all the clutter, so that when you revisit it you’ll see it from a different perspective. How long you sit on it is up to you, but as you leave it alone, you should have someone read it to give you feedback, take notes on things you like, don’t like, want to change, take out, add in, and last what I do is take this time to start thinking about and outlining another story I would like to write.

6. Repeat.

After letting it sit, having someone read it and critique it, and taking notes on all you would like to change, you can now go back, revisit the story and begin doing edits, rewrites and molding the story into something better. I recommend doing this 3 times before sending it off to a professional editor. You want the story to be solidified and most of the grammar to be on par with a final draft.

The final published book being held in your hands should be the big picture you see at the very beginning, this should be your motivation to just start writing. It’s that simple. So don’t be afraid to, you never know what it is you may end up creating and how many lives you could change, entertain and inspire with your words. It all starts with one word so start with just one word, start writing.
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

Nice outline of the process, but I think you need more steps. First draft should sit and ripen in a drawer, then you rewrite, then same thing again. Next you have as many victims as you can find read the manuscript and tell you everything that is wrong with it, then revise, then repeat that process, and then you might just might have something worthwhile. :wink:
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Excellent Tips! This could make a lot to me. Maybe I have to strictly follow a writing schedule. It's really not easy to continue writing until the final draft of a manuscript.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

Once I have the premise I determine the main events that will occur for the story. I decide the order of the main events and come up with a outline of what will occur in each of the first seven or eight chapters. Then I start writing and make notes to myself on what has happened and what should come next. All the small details I write in the moment. Personally I need to be in love with my idea for me to want to make the story come to life.
Marsnikk
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsnikk.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by Marsnikk »

This is so helpful. I have a thousand ideas but never just start. I write it in my head in the shower but never put it on paper.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

This is very helpful. Thank you for listing all the steps. I have so many ideas but I rarely make a note or take time to sit down and write.
AtomicEye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-atomiceye.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by AtomicEye »

I will definitely be using this method the next time I write. I find it hard to keep a story going, so I will gladly take this advice. Thank you for sharing.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

Thank you ! This model is unrestricting of the creative process of individual writing, but sets out step-by-step 'roadmap' that's general and helpful.

Return to “Writing Discussion”