What to to when you struggle concentrating on a new project?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Shelby-eleizabeth
Currently Reading: Delta
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelby-eleizabeth.html
Latest Review: Delta: In the Middle of the Lake by Nike Izmaylov and Michelle Izmaylov
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

What to to when you struggle concentrating on a new project?

Post by Shelby-eleizabeth »

Hello y'all! So I just wanted to ask what is it that you all do when you have a new writing project your taking on and you just cannot seem to focus on it? How do you guys deal with having issues similar to this? Do y'all struggle concentrating sometimes as well?

If you have read this thank you for taking the time to do so! Your feedback is much appreciated :tiphat:
-Shelby Eleizabeth Bufalo
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Honestly, if it's a new project, and I can't concentrate on it, then it's a project I need to drop. Because obviously it's not actually engaging my mind. If I want the writing project to be good, it has to be something I am thinking about even when I am not writing. It has to be truly engaging.

Sometimes, life makes it so we can't concentrate. I took over two years off from writing fiction because my life got to a point where I couldn't focus on anything except emotionally making it to the next day. I randomly had ideas for new projects during that time, as well as for continuing projects. I ignored them all. Because I did not want to beat myself up about the fact that I was starting things and dropping them.

Other times, it's just the day. And there is the struggle of recognizing that. And for me, that's asking the question, when I am trying to concentrate on this project, what am I thinking about instead? Is it another project? Am I in a loop about a bad experience I had? Is my mind just wandering?

Sometimes I need to shelve an idea I really like for a bit in order to get through whatever else has my attention.
ellisyoung
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ellisyoung »

It is for sure one of the toughest target to concentrate solely over the newly assigned project. Moreover, it is necessary to write unique content as well mainly because it always creates a kind of positive impact over the clients. However, students more often looks for professional assignment writers to write over the unique and quality content for their assignment related tasks.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I sometimes struggle concentrating on new projects as well. The best advice I have for you is to drop it for a few days and, during those days, allow yourself to think about the project. Consider what ideas you have for it and whether or not it's engaging enough for you to continue. Then, after a few days, you can pick it back up again. Sometimes it's just a matter of mood or environment. A fresh mind may also give you better ideas or a new way to look at it that will capture your attention enough to focus on it. Whatever happens, you should never force yourself to go through with it if it's really not working out.
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

Perhaps make it one of the first things you do in the morning. Give yourself a certain amount of time and then stop. This may relax your mind for the rest of the day knowing that you've already done some work on your story. This may also allow your subconscious to come up with ideas while you go through the rest of your day.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

KS Crooks wrote: 07 Sep 2019, 10:40 Perhaps make it one of the first things you do in the morning. Give yourself a certain amount of time and then stop. This may relax your mind for the rest of the day knowing that you've already done some work on your story. This may also allow your subconscious to come up with ideas while you go through the rest of your day.
I agree wholeheartedly with you! I like getting up super early in the morning before anyone in the house woke up. I believe the first thing I do in the morning determines how productive I'll be for the rest of the day. Like when I decide to just watch YouTube in the morning, I won't be as hard-working in the afternoon.

Return to “Writing Discussion”