How do we come up with names for fictional characters?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Re: How do we come up with names for fictional characters?

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

L1th3rl+and wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 05:59 Ghoulish, I know, but walking round graveyards is a wonderful source of names. If you see someone walking around your local cemetery with a notebook, it's probably me. I recently came across someone who went through life as Wilhelmina Twaddle - what a great name! Impossible to use outside something like Dickens, of course.
That is so dark and helpful. I find this tip amazing since the names of people who actually lived gives off vibes that are realistic and relatable
Rodel Barnachea
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: The Unfakeable Code®
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodel-barnachea.html
Latest Review: An Accessible Iliad by Emer Jackson
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by Rodel Barnachea »

Ryan wrote: 24 Sep 2014, 11:20 First names often come quickly, but for surnames I usually look at a map of England. You get some real gems! :)
I think this would only be useful if you are creating characters who are British. Still, this is a helpful tip. Thank you!
emidio125
Favorite Book: Tortured in Ashram
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emidio125.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by emidio125 »

Sometimes I just think about a name and use. But most of the times I search for names depending on the nature of the story.
FJCJ55
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by FJCJ55 »

It's usually spontaneous for me. It might change from the beginning. It's never fully concrete.
Black Jewel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-black-jewel.html
Latest Review: The Game by Molly Perry

Post by Black Jewel »

I just go with whatever name I feel suits the character. It's a difficult process to actually describe. I use names that just feel natural to the character. The characters themselves tend to tell me their names themselves.

Return to “Writing Discussion”