Non-Native English Speakers

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 174
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: Devine Enquiries by Martin Hull

Non-Native English Speakers

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I love writing, but as a non-native English speaker, I struggled a lot with grammar and punctuation when I started out.

It was so bad I didn't have the confidence to show anyone my work, out of fear of been mocked. The one person that saw it laughed at me. After that, I deleted all my drafts and gave up.

I started writing again and while my grammar has improved, I know my punctuation still needs a lot of work.

So non-native speakers like me, how did you start writing, what were/are your struggles, how did you get ahead? Please share with me.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Where are you from? Asking because it makes a differences. People from the Asian countries like me have trouble conjugating verbs and putting plurals (or not putting plurals) on nouns. Also all words have only 1 syllable. Just practicing helps. There is no quick fix. I learned a lot teaching in American schools, where many come from all over. So, explaining to them helps me also.

The person who laughed at you - do they speak another language? I'm guessing not.

What are your experiences?
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

Italian speaker here, I've had the same struggle for a long time! I got better by reading English books - not the classics, and not necessarily English speaking authors. I started by reading English language young-adult novels when I was 18 and I built my way up from there. My writing style improved dramatically because of that. And oh - I also watch a lot of English speaking Youtubers so I'm all caught up with urban/nonformal lingo, which is often on the more accessible end.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

Number one Rule, coming from the Expert? Just write. That's it. If you keep on doing it, day by day, you will be aware of what is right and what is wrong. Then, one day you will become an expert writer and even become expert in grammar.
SMAhmed
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smahmed.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by SMAhmed »

I struggled the most with punctuation and spelling. I got better because I kept writing and I had friends that would point out repeated mistakes I made so I knew what to look out for. Reading a lot of books also helps because you can use them as examples/references. Trust me, you will get better it just takes some time and the person that laughed at you instead of trying to help out, they're a jerk.
alibaba3003
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by alibaba3003 »

I am also non native but i have learn a lots through online english classes
Marsha JJ
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: On the Precipice of the Labyrinth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marsha-jj.html
Latest Review: Tyler's Promised Gift by M. C. Abushar

Post by Marsha JJ »

I am a native English speaker but have found that as I learn other languages, Duolingo is a good free resource as it is helping me with the grammar in those other languages. Perhaps the English version would be helpful for those working on their English grammar.
Shenila Ginabay
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shenila-ginabay.html
Latest Review: That's what Ed said by U A Dumas

Post by Shenila Ginabay »

I am a Portuguese speaker and I struggle to write reviews in English. I don't always know how the punctuation should be or I have problems with adverbs and prepositions.

Return to “Writing Discussion”