Do Your Dreams Inspire You?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
boardj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boardj.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Do Your Dreams Inspire You?

Post by boardj »

So I've noticed that majority of my book/story ideas come from my dreams. Does this happen for anyone else? Do you find yourself waking up in the middle of the night from a dream and you just have to write it down?
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

All the time! I've been recording my dreams for some time now and it's very insightful, plus I've been able to use quite a bit of what appears in the dream world in my writing.
Hiprince001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Hiprince001 »

Most times my dreams serve as my inspirations...one thing i discovered earlier is our dreams may not turn us turn up as at the first time
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

When I was younger they did but now they're way too creepy to write. I used to have some pretty weird, creative dreams though.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
JPalomares
Favorite Book: Mother Night
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jpalomares.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by JPalomares »

Howdy, all,

One of my favorite stories about the use of dreams in the writing process comes from none other than Mary Shelley, author of the well-beloved Frankenstein.

The future Mrs. Shelley, on that fateful trip that spawned the novel, fell asleep on the night of a thunderstorm, after an evening of conversation tending towards the macabre. She writes of her dream (of which I include only the barest portion here), "I saw the hideous phantasm of a man stretched out, and then, on the working of some powerful engine, show signs of life, and stir with an uneasy, half-vital motion."

Frankenstein is often published with a full transcription and narrative of the dream and events surrounding, but it can also be found simply enough online. Here is one such telling for your convenience: Shelley.

Happy dreaming,
JPalomares
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Kyrenora »

Some of my best work has been inspired by events or characters that occurred in my dreams. Unfortunately, a lot of my dreams (upon waking) seem to be random snippets that don't really fit together, so it's difficult to make a full narrative out of any of them. I can definitely steal pieces and sew some of them together, though.

---
Nisha Ward wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 08:03 When I was younger they did but now they're way too creepy to write. I used to have some pretty weird, creative dreams though.
^Why not write down the creepy stories? That's actually where Lovecraft got a lot of his horror stories from.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Kyrenora wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 12:06 Some of my best work has been inspired by events or characters that occurred in my dreams. Unfortunately, a lot of my dreams (upon waking) seem to be random snippets that don't really fit together, so it's difficult to make a full narrative out of any of them. I can definitely steal pieces and sew some of them together, though.

---
Nisha Ward wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 08:03 When I was younger they did but now they're way too creepy to write. I used to have some pretty weird, creative dreams though.
^Why not write down the creepy stories? That's actually where Lovecraft got a lot of his horror stories from.
I'd do that, but lately it fades within an hour of waking, so I remember the feeling but not the actual content of the dream.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Kyrenora »

Nisha Ward wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 05:42
Kyrenora wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 12:06 Some of my best work has been inspired by events or characters that occurred in my dreams. Unfortunately, a lot of my dreams (upon waking) seem to be random snippets that don't really fit together, so it's difficult to make a full narrative out of any of them. I can definitely steal pieces and sew some of them together, though.

---
I'd do that, but lately it fades within an hour of waking, so I remember the feeling but not the actual content of the dream.
That makes sense. If something really catches my attention in the dream world, I try to get down as many bullet points as I can before it starts to fade. It goes so fast, though. Something is always going to get lost.
milissamcdaniel1
Currently Reading: The God Debate - Dawkins in Denial
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-milissamcdaniel1.html
Latest Review: Devil Among Us by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 10%

Post by milissamcdaniel1 »

I occasionally have a dream that sparks a story idea. My biggest problem is that often, by the time I get out of bed, I've forgotten all the details! That happened to me just a few weeks ago, and I can't recall enough to actually start writing. I guess I need to keep a pen and notebook by my bed!
clint_csperry-org
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org »

When I can remember them, yes. I keep a journal next to the bed for that purpose. I have several short stories that come from that source. My wife usually has dreams that are ten times more vivid than mine and I have been known to take ideas from them too. (Yes, she knows I do this.)
WhiteLotus
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 1019
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitelotus.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by WhiteLotus »

I have a lot of weird (the good kind of weird), interesting, action-filled dreams; when I was younger I used to try to make them into stories, but they were far too convoluted and strange, and yet vague, to make into something that made sense, so I just stopped trying. I still note down most of my dreams if I remember them and find them interesting, though, so maybe someday one will turn into a story.
TLWoodliff
Currently Reading: No Pit So Deep
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by TLWoodliff »

I hope not. I dreamed lemon juice was oozing from shoulder sores. I don't want to record that in my books. Lol
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

You know, I've never written anything based off of a dream before, but it sounds like fun! There are a handful of dreams that have stuck with me over the years, and there are a few that I've written down... They would make a really fun short story collection!
rubinelli
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rubinelli.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by rubinelli »

Yes! My dreams are usually pretty weird but some parts can lend themselves very well to interesting characters and plots!
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I don’t use my dreams as writing material, though that’s mostly because I can’t remember a lot of my dreams. The ones I do remember are either weird or disturbing. Very few would make a good story so I tend to disregard them.

Return to “Writing Discussion”