Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
eastandalchemy
2019 Reading Goal: 25
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Are you a quiet person? Are most writers quiet?

Post by eastandalchemy » 05 Jun 2019, 13:11

I had a lot of extroverted-type jobs before becoming a full-time writer. I have no idea how I lasted so long in the corporate world because I am an introvert to the core! I feel that the quiet ones are often the most observant, which would make perfect sense that writers fall into that category. I've also noticed that many writers, myself included, shy away from small talk but could sit and discuss books, theory, and certain subjects for hours when in the right company.

Heatholt
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatholt.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Heatholt » 08 Jul 2019, 11:06

I am a person who thinks deeply, is constantly observing my surrounds and keeping notes for my writing. However, I am not a quiet person. I am loud and funny and love to make people laugh. So i have to disagree that writers are all quiet. I am definitely an exception to this.
"We're all born naked and the rest is drag." - RuPaul Charles
:wink:

clint_csperry-org
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 42
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clint-csperry-org.html
Latest Review: Executive Hoodlum by John Costello

Post by clint_csperry-org » 08 Jul 2019, 11:24

I can be a quiet person. Though I tend to thrive better when I am out there doing something with others. My wife and I have volunteered as interpretive hosts at the state parks here in Oregon, we have also volunteered at the Hatfield Science Center in Newport. I realize that when I have spent an afternoon introducing people, mostly children to the marine life that lives off our coast, I seem to have a strong sense of satisfaction. When I am actively writing however, I prefer to keep my head down and focus on the story that is developing on the screen or page in front of me. That too is an adventure that keeps me satisfied. So, to answer the question above I guess my response would have to be ... sometimes. As for others, I do not know.

Inkroverts
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Inkroverts » 28 Sep 2019, 20:15

It's stereotypical that writers are introverted and think by themselves a lot.
I'm a quiet person and I've yet to find someone who breaks this stereotype haha.

DrequaB_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by DrequaB_1 » 07 Oct 2019, 13:06

Yes. I am quite around strangers and even towards my family sometimes. I don't know how to use this website. Can someone please help me?

Ericq7
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ericq7 » 09 Oct 2019, 12:06

Yes I am quite and keep to myself all the time.

Return to “Writing Discussion”