How do you start a novel?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Elizabeth Gipson
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-gipson.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

How do you start a novel?

Post by Elizabeth Gipson »

I have dabbled with the idea of starting to write a novel. However, I find myself with so many ideas that it is hard to just settle on one, or once I begin my story, I wonder if it is already written, or if I have to worry about copy write infringements because the type of idea. I really wanted to write a story that depicted why the villains in fairy tales were the way they were. Netflix did a great job in doing this in the movie "Once Upon A Time" But personally I don't agree with their background stories for most of them. If there is a series like this already I would very much like to know. My issue, is how to start it?
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

It can be a very difficult process to wrangle all of your ideas into one storyline. Generally, I use lots of spider diagrams to depict ideas about characters, plotlines and places. This helps me to figure out where more research is needed. I usually start on paper and then put it onto my computer, where I will make a timeline for the story events, and separate documents for all characters, places etc. I also often make a 'family tree' (including friends, not just family) just so that I can map out how everything fits in together.
It's quite a long process but basically what I do is get everything down onto paper so it isn't forgotten, and then I sort and organise all the ideas after.

As for the copyrights - I believe if a story is using elements of stories which are in the public domain then there shouldn't be an issue. Usually, once I have my idea set out, I'll try searching online for keywords of the plotline, character names, or places, just to see what sort of thing comes up. If it's out there then hopefully it should pop up! Also, you can try speaking to friends/family about your idea to see if they've read or seen anything similar.
Another commenter may (hopefully) be able to clarify about copyrights better as I am not an expert on this subject

Good luck with your novel!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
Emmanuel ufom
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emmanuel ufom »

U can start a novel
Firstly:knowing the main topic or stories
Secondly:observing the character to know how and when he or she can be place
Thirdly:A proper prepare caution in beginning the first topic
Fourthly: the first chapter should be properly arranged with paragraph and full stop
Finally:make sure it end well
KS Crooks
Favorite Author: Matthew Reilly
Favorite Book: Voyage of the Dawntreader
fav_author_id: 7607

Post by KS Crooks »

First I decide on the general premise if the story and the main characters. I next think about the day before their circumstances change- where are they and what are they doing? I like to know what the characters are like before their lives change. I may not include all of this information in the story, but I think it's important for me as the author to know.
FLAMENCO

Post by FLAMENCO »

Here are a few tips I found useful in my writing: First I composed a plot capsule - listing 10-12 chapters. Each chapter should contain part of the plot, the story line etc. Next, I determined the no. of characters (the few the better). Name them, young or old. After that I worked on weather, temperature, time etc. Once this is established, then I began the draft. Dialog is very important, and should be strong! Lastly, don't forget grammar and punctuation. Now GET STARTED.
jjmainor
Currently Reading: The House Where Evil Dwells...Thirteen Tells
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jjmainor.html
Latest Review: Beyond Cloud Nine (Beyond Saga Book 1) by Greg Spry

Post by jjmainor »

Hollywood steals ideas all the time, so as long as you're not writing the scenario exactly as it appeared on TV or in the movies, you're free to give an idea your own spin.
Asisha Joseph
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-asisha-joseph.html
Latest Review: Andalusian in Jerusalem by Mois benarroch

Post by Asisha Joseph »

When I get an idea, I sit down and mark down the Plot Points. Then I do the Pinch Points. Somewhere along I fill a character questionnaire for each of my main characters. Then I fill in the details of the plot. Then I sit down to write.
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

Three things!
1) There is nothing new under the sun - every idea has already been taken, but that's okay because there's never been a you before. While there are repeat ideas, there is no such thing as a repeat person! What's amazing about this is that you get to take a story that's been told over and over again and add elements to it that no one else could because they simply aren't you!

2) Start plotting your story off with a simple statement, as follows: This story is about ______ who _______, but _____. Identify your main protagonist and what they want. For instance, "This story is about a generally confused detective who wants to find a lifetime partner, but his mom isn't ready to let him move out of her house and start his own life." If you can't boil your story down to this simple statement, then you don't have a plot!

3) Figure out your ending! As soon as you have the above statement filled out, decide on your ending so that you can fill in the between space while having a destination in mind. You can decide your ending based off of who you want your protagonist to be by the end of the story or based off of what you want to teach the audience. For instance, following the above example, the ending could be, "The confused detective realizes that he only wanted a lifetime partner because he was too afraid to grow up and live life on his own, so he dumps the obsessive girlfriend, repairs his relationship with his mom, and moves out to start his own life!" Or alternatively, it might look like, "The confused detective marries his girlfriend, moves into a new house, and continues living life exactly as he did at his mom's house which ends up destroying his marriage because he married for personal gain rather than out of mutual respect and love!"
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Kyrenora »

There's no right or wrong way to begin getting your story onto the page. The important part is to just do it. I've had many an instance where I start in the middle, because that's the part I already know. Then I work both backward and forward. Editing can work wonders. Sometimes you actually end up with a completely different narrative than you started with. Start putting the ideas into text because that's what counts.

When it comes to copyright, anything in the public domain is fair game. A quick Google search will be able to tell you if copyrights are owned by a particular party. You'll need to be careful to avoid details that have been added later (for example, if you used something specific to Once Upon a Time's telling of the stories that doesn't appear in the originals).

If you're finding that what you want to write is already owned by someone, then I would suggest that you consider writing it anyway as fan fiction. I often do it just as a practice exercise. It can be a lot of fun, you get to hone your skills, and you may even attract regular readers who enjoy your writing enough to seek out your original works as well.
amal_786
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amal-786.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by amal_786 »

There are lots of series that take inspiration from fairy tales such as The Land of Stories, The Lunar Chronicles, and The School for Good and Evil to name a few. However, what really matters is how you present your characters and backstories for each. Think about how you can put your own spin on it and come up with a plot and agenda for your characters that is unique. The fairy tales are just there as a start off point, not as a template for the entire novel. Depending on how it is executed, the fairy tale theme may overpower the rest of the plot and diminish its originality. Best of luck!
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

Before you start your novel, I think you should also ask yourself how long you want it to be. For experienced writers, it's easy to write (Stephen King writes 2,000 words every day). However, someone who's never written a novel before might find large word counts challenging. I was one of those people. I had so many ideas about what to write and characters to include that it all became overwhelming. I ended up filling only a few pages and stopping because what I wanted to do was too ambitious for my current experience.

Of course, writing comes easy to some people. For others, it may take a little more training.

Just something to consider. I encourage you to write if that would make you happy. Don't let your fears stop you from doing what you want. Like the others said, every work stems from something.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

On some level, the answer to how you start a novel is you simply start writing. As Neil Gaiman says, the way you become a writer is that you write. Plain and simple. The second step is to finish the things you write. That one is a bit harder.

As for copyright, as @ElizaPeaks said, there are no new story ideas. Every idea is a retelling of Romeo & Juliet (which itself was a retelling of older stories) or Rip Van Winkle or something. Ideas cannot be copyrighted. Characters and settings can, so if you want to use characters we are all already familiar with, you have to make sure those are in the public domain. Fairy tale, Shakespearean, or Jane Austen characters - you're good. Star Wars, Harry Potter, or Downton Abbey characters - you're not good. The same kind of goes with settings. You can put anything you want in London (or your version of London), but you can't use the Harry Potter version of London or Hogwarts.

As for how do you start, everyone has a different method. Some people outline. Some people figure out the ending first. Some people only know their characters. A lot will depend on your style of writing and the focus of your writing. Are you focused on the plot? Write out a sketch of the plot, including possible twists and red herrings and where in the novel you think they'll go. Do you have a character in your head that just needs to get on paper? Start by writing a letter from the character, to you, where the character tells you what it is they want you as the author to know about their story. Do you have a cool concept that you want to write about? Start by writing the details of the concept - is it a setting, a piece of technology, a narrative device - and then make notes about what you would need to go with that idea or concept to make a full story.

For me, the hardest part is actually finding the time and space to write. I now get up early on a weekend, before anyone else in the house, and close myself in our office to write for an hour or two before everyone else is up and moving around. Sometimes I get 1000 words written. Sometimes I barely get 100. But I have a dedicated time, because that is what works for me.
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

Novel writing requires a lot of thought and preparation beforehand. I usually map out everything that I am planning on including in the novel in an outline. I make characters and their history, draw out the map, and create the lore of the world. Preparation might be a little dull when all you want to do is get writing, but it will pay off in the end.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

I feel its always very difficult to start a novel but the beginning comes automatically.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

There isn't a universal way to write. For me, I like to keep things organised. So I list out everything I want to write in big points, then chunk them into smaller points.
That way I can easily track my process without feeling the writing task is never-ending.

Return to “Writing Discussion”