What Genre Do You Think Will Be Most Popular this 2019?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
russel_ruth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-russel-ruth.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

What Genre Do You Think Will Be Most Popular this 2019?

Post by russel_ruth » 17 Nov 2018, 19:41

Of course we always have romance as one of the most popular genre, and there are a lot of sub-genres under it like secret pregnancy, love triangles and such... what do you think would be popular this 2019? Or would another genre be more sought after?

ChaosofaMadHatter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chaosofamadhatter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by ChaosofaMadHatter » 18 Jan 2019, 19:29

I have a feeling that post apocalyptic will see another surge, and likely a surge in realistic fantasy. Post apocalyptic due to the extremist notions that are becoming more pervasive in every day life, especially on the political level, and the realistic fantasy because as things get drearier in the real world, more people will look for books that tweak reality just enough to make it seem hopeful.

Letora
2019 Reading Goal: 90
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 28
Favorite Book: The Raptor & the Wren
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by Letora » 31 Jan 2019, 21:11

Romance is always going to be popular, I agree with you there! I think graphic novels and comic books will be another one due to the increased interest in Marvel and DC movies. There's also a surge in popularity with fantasy based TV shows, and I can see that genre becoming more popular.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss

russel_ruth
Currently Reading:

Post by russel_ruth » 09 Feb 2019, 00:06

ChaosofaMadHatter wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 19:29
I have a feeling that post apocalyptic will see another surge, and likely a surge in realistic fantasy. Post apocalyptic due to the extremist notions that are becoming more pervasive in every day life, especially on the political level, and the realistic fantasy because as things get drearier in the real world, more people will look for books that tweak reality just enough to make it seem hopeful.
Ahh, that seems right to me, as someone who reads for escape. Thank you very much for your notion!

Zora C Penter
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 18
Currently Reading: Every Ghost Has Its Story
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zora-c-penter.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Zora C Penter » 12 Feb 2019, 15:59

ChaosofaMadHatter wrote:
18 Jan 2019, 19:29
I agree! I do think that the larger dystopian or bleak science fiction might push through. We also tend to see upticks in those books being written and sold as major elections (i.e. presidential elections) get closer.

russel_ruth
Currently Reading:

Post by russel_ruth » 05 Mar 2019, 22:07

Thank you for all of the feedback ^_^ It is well appreciated~

MarieHarrison
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by MarieHarrison » 08 Mar 2019, 04:19

I also think that post-apocalyptic fiction is going to remain popular for 2019. With all the political upheaval and drama, I don't think many people feel positive about the future and that's seeping into the author's writing. Outside of fiction, reference books are also rising in popularity. I'm so thrilled that it's becoming cool to know stuff :lol:

Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 » 18 Mar 2019, 04:43

As nearly everyone has already mentioned: dystopian novels. But I also have a feeling that YA novels that deal with teens standing up for their beliefs/rights/what is right and changing the world are becoming increasingly popular. Say like The Hate You Give by ‎Angie Thomas. :wink:

Return to “Writing Discussion”