Featured Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts

Discuss the October 2013 book of the month "The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Re: Featured Review: The Boy who Lived with Ghosts

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Good review. It sounds like The Boy who Lived with Ghosts is a memoir that includes the author's childhood experiences. The novel is capable of triggering readers emotions through its depth. The storyline includes the lived experiences of a young boy during his age 5-13 years. John had a difficult time as a young boy. This book will be a worthwhile read for teenagers.
Tysoncarlos4
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Tysoncarlos4 »

This book is everything I look for in a book, am glad to have come across john's work
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

Sounds like a powerful read. I appreciate that the author handles issues like child abuse and is able to write a child's perspective well. Thank you for your review.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

I love paranormal tv shows , so I am excited about this book. It has an interesting summary. Thank you for the review!
:tiphat:
Sanyesto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sanyesto.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Sanyesto »

Sounds an interesting read. Being a paranormal fan this would be definitely up my street. Will look forwards to reading it.
Surabhi Rani
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Demonslayer
Bookshelf Size: 1901
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surabhi-rani.html
Latest Review: How To Decorate Cookies With Your Kids in an Afternoon by Micah Rhodes
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Surabhi Rani »

'Official Review: The Boy who Lived with ghosts' pinpoints the main theme of the book. The negative aspects of the story are not neglected in the review! The perfect rating given to the book generates positive ideas about it, in the mind of the readers!
Tracy8_62
Currently Reading: The Right to Nominate
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy8-62.html
Latest Review: Roadmap to the End of Days by Daniel Friedmann

Post by Tracy8_62 »

The Boy Who Lived With Ghosts is an interesting read, particularly as it is written from the perspective of a small boy, trying to understand his place in life. It is dark in some aspects, especially in relation to child abuse and alcoholism, but also has some humour (not to detract from the seriousness of the issues already mentioned). Overall I would be interested to read the complete book
ea_anthony
Favorite Book: Praying successfully
Currently Reading: Prisoners of Geography
Bookshelf Size: 650
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ea-anthony.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ea_anthony »

This looks like a possible emotional wringer. Even though we usually choose what to read, authors choose what to write.
This is a lovely and well written review; good job! I believe I will give this novel a try even though with a little trepidation.
Congrats to the author on #BOTD
Ignorance promotes divisiveness, knowledge encourages diversity. :techie-studyingbrown:
fndirangu20
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: the girl who knew da vinci
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by fndirangu20 »

From the review the book sounds like a good read, especially from the young ones perspective. The title seems scary, but you have lightened up the whole book. Thanks.
cindyr2416
Favorite Book: Ironbark Hill
Currently Reading: Parkhurst tales
Bookshelf Size: 676
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cindyr2416.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by cindyr2416 »

I’m interested in seeing what it’s like through John’s eyes. I love paranormal books and even though it’s just a part of the story it has caught my attention. Good review!
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I like how the author is not only tackling ghosts haunting this young boy but also looks into his life as a whole. Looking forward to reading it. Congrats the great review.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

The Boy Who Lived With Ghosts by John Mitchell is a different kind of horror story as it is a memoir of his childhood. The Amazon summary indicates that during that time, he witnessed how his mother was pushed to the brink of a mental breakdown and insanity. The horror really is in the slow descent to the loss of rational consciousness. Mitchell, just a child, must find a way to help his mother overcome this and also save himself. Great feature review. It says Mitchell's account has touches of humor as it is written from the perspective of a child. The reviewer lauds the unique narrative.
prayz_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by prayz_ »

The books sounds like a nice read. It'll be interesting to know that even at young ages, children go through a lot.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I read all of the sample Amazon had and didn't want to stop reading. It had me hooked from the line about little boys should not see their Nana's hair down b/c that would mean they had been in her bedroom and then she would hit them with a hairbrush.! Hmmm....wonder how he knew that...? I too found it distressing that his childhood was, to us, so dismal but for him it was just normal. It's amazing what kids can adapt to and survive when they have no other choice. Thanks for the review. It's definitely going on my "to read" shelf.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

The themes dealing with John's childhood appear difficult to grasp and comprehend; being that they touch on child molestation and ghostly encounters. I think it's commendable foe the author to want to highlight these issues. Thanks for a wonderful review.

Return to “"The Boy who Lived with Ghosts" by John Mitchell”