Official Review: The Red Light by L. H. Roberts

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Official Review: The Red Light by L. H. Roberts

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Red Light" by L. H. Roberts.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I hesitated before picking this book for review as I am not an erotica reader. What a pleasant surprise The Red Light held for me! I was hooked right from the start, and this book surpassed my expectations.

Short of 250 pages, and published in June 2018, The Red Light is L. H. Roberts' debut novel. It is written in British English, and it is set between London and Amsterdam. Eva Barber and Sabrina Taylor, both aged 33, are two friends who work in a publishing house in London. In an attempt to get in touch with their sensual sides and explore them further, they decide to embark on a set of daring sexual experiences, challenges, and fantasies. These challenges would take place during the ladies’ three-month temporary work placement in Amsterdam.

While in Amsterdam, they meet new people and try to throw their inhibitions out. Will they be able to go through with their sexual challenges? Will love cross their path again after being dumped by their boyfriends back in London?

To limit the genre of this book to erotic romance would do it an injustice. It possesses the soul of a romantic thriller with the bonus of a witty humor, sex appeal, and women’s fiction. The author also offers a beautiful and realistic portrayal of two women’s friendship, and the ups and downs of their journey together. Will Eva and Sabrina be able to maintain their friendship or will the difference in their perspective on people and relations cause them to drift apart?

The characters of Eva and Sabrina are well-rounded, relatable, and believable. They are so lively that I felt they were about to pop off the page. These are strong and independent women who are willing take the power in relationship initiation back into their own hands. I liked the sincerity in Sabrina’s character, and the ever-ready wit and sarcastic sense of humor Eva had. The rest of the characters are also well-drawn, realistic and utterly human. I appreciated that they were not too good to be true.

The story is told in the third-person narrative. The writing style is smooth, easy-to-read, and engaging, and the dialogue is entertaining and smart. This is Eva talking,” I was about to dump him when he did it first. I was livid. And my mouth was full of food, too.” "She looked at Sabrina for humorous sympathy, which she received. A lot of Eva’s stories involved her mouth being full of food.”

Here is another glimpse into these ladies’ world, “Eva commented that the meal last night had cost an arm and a f***ing leg too and that she hoped this wasn’t like Scandinavia where coffee costs a fiver and a meal costs you your monthly mortgage payment.”

What is there not to like about this book? I loved Roberts’ well-developed characters. Every time I had to put the book down for some chore, I raced back to see what the ladies were up to. I also enjoyed the dynamics of the friendship between Eva and Sabrina. The sense of humor engrained within the text added a lighthearted feel. How many times have I caught myself laughing out loud over the hysterical arguments between Eva and her quirky colleague Britte?!

You might be wondering about the fuss over the intimate details. The intense physical encounters were organic, served the context, and did not feel out-of-place. Without giving away any spoilers, the book had an ample description of Amsterdam’s sex underworld.

On a positive note, The Red Light also serves as a fantastic insider’s guide to Amsterdam. I enjoyed the vivid and the detailed description of the city, the canals, the charming scenery, the Autumn there, and the habits of the Dutch. I could also envision the plenty of bikes, of course!

My only complaint is that the emphasis was placed on the details of Sabrina’s encounters more than Eva’s.

This book appeals to those seeking female-empowering reads. People who enjoy romance and thrill peppered with sensual details will find it a page-turner. I also recommend it to readers who appreciate a good dose of humor. Those interested in the description of captivating cities will be satisfied with the rich guide set within the context of a novel. That being said, a warning is due to those younger than 18. The Red Light better suits a mature audience, due to its adult content and the graphic details. People offended by the explicit sexual material would better skip this one.

In light of all the aforementioned and having a clean editing, I unreservedly rate The Red Light 4 out of 4 stars. I noticed only one typo and an extra preposition which I wouldn’t have picked hadn’t I been looking for errors diligently.

Women have common denominators when it comes to the mode of thinking, the fears, and the insecurities. Ms. Roberts sheds the light on all these with grace, eloquence, and transparency. On a final note, I quote her on the tongue of one of her characters, “Your partner needs to be someone you both like and are attracted to. You can’t have a good relationship with just one of those aspects.”

The Red Light
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Ruba Abu Ali's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Great review! This book seems to have everything required to hook a romance buff - steamy scenes, promise (?) of a sizzling romance and what's more - portrayal of friendship between two strong and independent women. I will check out this book for sure.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

A book exploring the friendship of two women: Eva and Sabrina will be a thrilling read to me. Plus, I love Amsterdam. Your compelling review has made me want to check this out.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ruba Abu Ali
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 01:27 Great review! This book seems to have everything required to hook a romance buff - steamy scenes, promise (?) of a sizzling romance and what's more - portrayal of friendship between two strong and independent women. I will check out this book for sure.
Thank you for the kind words! :D I "promise" you won't have to skip a line reading this book. It has been such an enjoyable read.
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 02:20 A book exploring the friendship of two women: Eva and Sabrina will be a thrilling read to me. Plus, I love Amsterdam. Your compelling review has made me want to check this out.
This book has a bit of everything for everyone. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for dropping by and for sharing your thoughts. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

You might be wondering about the fuss over the intimate details. The intense physical encounters were organic, served the context, and did not feel out-of-place. Without giving away any spoilers, the book had an ample description of Amsterdam’s sex underworld.
This sounds very different than the erotica book I recently selected that wasn't defined as such. As always, I enjoyed your review, Ruba.
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Cecilia_L wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 06:23
This sounds very different than the erotica book I recently selected that wasn't defined as such. As always, I enjoyed your review, Ruba.
The erotica in this book is by no means offensive or forced on the story. I think you would enjoy reading this one, Cecilia! :D Thank you so much for taking the time to go over my review and for sharing your thoughts.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A good review this is. Friendship and Romance are two things people seek out to have these days. This promises to be a great erotica for those into this genre of books. Also a book that gives you an insight into how cities look like and in this case, 'Amsterdam'.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

A good review this is. Friendship and Romance are two things people seek out to have these days. This promises to be a great erotica for those into this genre of books. Also a book that gives you an insight into how cities look like and in this case, 'Amsterdam'.
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

T_stone wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 10:15 A good review this is. Friendship and Romance are two things people seek out to have these days. This promises to be a great erotica for those into this genre of books. Also a book that gives you an insight into how cities look like and in this case, 'Amsterdam'.
Thanks for dropping by and giving your thoughts. :tiphat:
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I think, like you, I would be thrown by the genre. However, upon reading your review, I get the impression that this boom has so much more to offer.

I absolutely love Amsterdam having spent much of my misspent youth traveling back and forth. I would love to revisit the city in the form of this story with these two temp workers and their escapades.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Georgia Lyonhyde wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 20:20 I think, like you, I would be thrown by the genre. However, upon reading your review, I get the impression that this boom has so much more to offer.

I absolutely love Amsterdam having spent much of my misspent youth traveling back and forth. I would love to revisit the city in the form of this story with these two temp workers and their escapades.
Taking into consideration what you've just said, I think you will enjoy this book. Thank you for the insight! :tiphat:
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I love that the descriptions of Amsterdam were authentic. It just means the author took the time to set the scene instead of concentrating on the more closed door scenes. That's always refreshing :)
Wonderful review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ruba Abu Ali

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

Bianka Walter wrote: 26 Sep 2018, 01:35 I love that the descriptions of Amsterdam were authentic. It just means the author took the time to set the scene instead of concentrating on the more closed door scenes. That's always refreshing :)
Wonderful review!
My exact thoughts as I read the vivid description of Amsterdam! I appreciated the author's effort and authenticity in transforming visual pictures into colorful words. Thank you, Bianka ! :D
Keevan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-keevan.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by Keevan »

I, too, am not into errotica novels. The book truly sounds good based on your review but I think I might pass on this one.

Thank you for your insightful review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”