Official Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NL Hartje
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Official Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by NL Hartje »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chasing The Red Queen" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I think it’s a safe assumption that many women fantasize about being swept off their feet. Knocked around, sniffed, and “marked” though? Now that’s a horse of a different color. Karen Glista’s world of the supernatural reveals a new chapter in the ways of courtship, romance, and, dare I say, love in her teenage fantasy Chasing the Red Queen.

Readers are presented with an unfortunately common “tormented teenage girl gets tangled with otherworldly older man” scenario. Eighteen-year-old Donja is uncertain and rebellious after a forced family move. Using goth dress and glam, she hides herself from the world until her new step-sister surprisingly pulls her out of her funk and into the joys of being young, beautiful, and carefree.

When a dangerous looking man relentlessly pursues her after a nightclub brawl, Donja finds herself thrust into a world of creatures she never knew existed: Iridescents. A tumultuous maelstrom of past and present suddenly reveals family secrets intertwined with an alternate local history that she never dreamed of being true. As tends to happen in stories with a supernatural love interest, Donja is soon fleeing and fighting for her life and the lives of those she loves most.

What saves the would-be cringeworthy plot are Glista’s interesting characters and surprising inclusions setting it apart. A well-read fantasy buff, I am quite versed in the different types of “supernatural boyfriend” stories. I was pleasantly surprised by the new traits woven into the Iridescent characters. I liked their system of sexual betokening and the ritual behind declaring consorts. There were several places where detailed imagery made me smile and imagine her scenes with great detail.

Unfortunately for the author, her scene is set in Michigan, and she happened to draw a Michigander in this reviewer. I was sad to find inconsistencies with local spellings and references. These would have surely gone by the wayside for any reader not from the state but for me the smallest errors were like nails on a chalkboard. I was also disappointed by unimaginative word and sentence repetition throughout. There were times when I applauded her for an exciting phrase only to groan to see it used again a page later.

To Glista’s credit, I did waffle back and forth when choosing a star rating for this book. It was not a terrible read; indiscriminate and amateur fantasy readers will surely enjoy it. Considering however that is was woefully in need of an editor, (which calls for the removal of one star right from the start) I have chosen to rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Chasing the Red Queen had a lot of fun scenes and characters that I enjoyed reading. With a more refined hand, some attention to detail, and a well-paid editor, Glista has the potential to take my breath away (pun intended).

Chasing The Red Queen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like NL Hartje's review? Post a comment saying so!
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I really wanted to know how Donja got herself out of danger, so I'm dissapointed to learn the book is not professionally edited. Thanks for your helpful review.
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I really wanted to know how Donja got herself out of danger, so I'm dissapointed to learn the book is not professionally edited. Thanks for your helpful review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I know nothing about Michigan, so those details probably would have gone by the wayside for me. I do believe if someone is going to use a setting like that, it needs to be carefully researched, though. It's too bad it's not. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ugbusco
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Ugbusco »

The writer did Justice to the book... I love how the story was presented.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Unfortunately for the author, her scene is set in Michigan, and she happened to draw a Michigander in this reviewer. I was sad to find inconsistencies with local spellings and references. These would have surely gone by the wayside for any reader not from the state but for me the smallest errors were like nails on a chalkboard.
I know just what you mean. I'm from Texas, which is one of the most misrepresented and worse stereotyped states. It's a shame that the author didn't complete more thorough research. Excellent review!
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 219
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I am a fan of supernatural reads as well and this sounds like something I would read.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

NL Hartje wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 22:14 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Chasing The Red Queen" by Karen Glista.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Readers are presented with an unfortunately common “tormented teenage girl gets tangled with otherworldly older man” scenario. Eighteen-year-old Donja is uncertain and rebellious after a forced family move. Using goth dress and glam, she hides herself from the world until her new step-sister surprisingly pulls her out of her funk and into the joys of being young, beautiful, and carefree.

When a dangerous looking man relentlessly pursues her after a nightclub brawl, Donja finds herself thrust into a world of creatures she never knew existed: Iridescents. A tumultuous maelstrom of past and present suddenly reveals family secrets intertwined with an alternate local history that she never dreamed of being true. As tends to happen in stories with a supernatural love interest, Donja is soon fleeing and fighting for her life and the lives of those she loves most.
I enjoyed reading your review. You have a way with words. I like that her step-sister helps her out of her goth mode! I am curious as to what the "Iridescents" look and act like.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I have some questions to ask from you, was the guy in the club trying to make that teen girl a consort of his? Is this read more of a cat and mouse chase related because it sounds like that? Thank you for your detailed review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

This sounds like a good book to read. Thanks for the great review. I like the idea of its thrill consisting of other unworldly creatures and things of that sort.
Chelsea N. Hackett
greenstripedgiraffe
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Thanks for the heads up on the cringe-worthy sections. This does not sound like a book I would seek out!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Thanks for your review. I don't think I would be picking this one up after all you stated.
NL Hartje
Favorite Book: Kushiel's Dart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nl-hartje.html
Latest Review: Looking forward as the Journey continues by George Mills

Post by NL Hartje »

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 08:53 I have some questions to ask from you, was the guy in the club trying to make that teen girl a consort of his? Is this read more of a cat and mouse chase related because it sounds like that? Thank you for your detailed review!
Sorry for the late response, it’s been quite the summer!

There is more than one man involved in the “chase” and yes, several of the men want her to be their consort. It is a chase for many of the men but one catches her heart ☺️
“So the writer who breeds more words than he needs, is making a chore for the reader who reads.”
-Dr. Seuss
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

The book needs a round of polishing before I come back to it. I certainly enjoyed your thorough and engaging review. Thanks.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

What an engaging review. The book doesn't sound as engaging. But from your review, I think I might not have noticed the small inconsistencies in the book since I'm not native to Michigan. Thank you for your thoughts! :)
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”