Official Review: Religion, Romance, and Real Life

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Religion, Romance, and Real Life

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Religion, Romance, and Real Life" by Tamara D Barnett.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tamara D. Barnett’s Religion, Romance, and Real Life is a collection of six short stories involving the pain and heartache that can be attached to personal relationships. The author highlights relevant issues such as adultery, murder, overcoming the cycle of domestic violence, and faith.

The title of this raw collection immediately captured my attention. The stories touch on the complexities of family dynamics, as well as those related to both heterosexual and lesbian relationships. It’s a short read compiled of serious subject matter that may trigger an emotional response or painful memories. I found it interesting that some of the stories share a connection, though not all of them.

Of the collection, I related most to the story, Breaking the Chain. The main character, Bonnie, struggles to break the cycle of abusive relationships that seems to be a generational curse in her family. Unfortunately, there are problematic issues with the book that bury the potentially uplifting portion of the story.

Overall, the book lacks direction. I found the author's erratic writing style difficult to follow. For example, in the sentence immediately following the description of a sexual encounter, one of the participants is suddenly at the airport. There is no explanation or transition. Did the author intend to complete the thought? Was it an oversight? The reader is left to wonder. Similar inconsistencies are particularly evident in the rest of the short stories. Though the collection is dialogue-driven, the author fails to begin new paragraphs when speakers change. I was often confused as to which character was speaking. Furthermore, failure to divide the text into paragraphs wasn't limited to dialogue. Many pages were one lengthy paragraph.

Regarding character development, this book is a prime example of telling versus showing. The characters seem one dimensional while conversations feel stilted. Male characters are portrayed as adulterous or abusive. For the most part, their female counterparts start out determined to break the cycle but eventually succumb to the men in their lives. Dysfunctional relationships are the consistent theme.

The book is in dire need of professional editing. Due to incorrect verb tense, missing words, and numerous other grammatical errors, I rate it 1 out of 4 stars. I wouldn't recommend it until the errors are corrected. Also, the collection includes crude sex scenes and language. Though the book is classified in the romance genre, I didn’t find it to be remotely romantic. In light of the explicit content, I definitely wouldn't recommend it to younger readers.

Religion, Romance, and Real Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

Cecilia_L wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 16:50 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Religion, Romance, and Real Life" by Tamara D Barnett.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tamara D. Barnett’s Religion, Romance, and Real Life is a collection of six short stories involving the pain and heartache that can be attached to personal relationships. The author highlights relevant issues such as adultery, murder, overcoming the cycle of domestic violence, and faith.

Regarding character development, this book is a prime example of telling versus showing. The characters seem one dimensional while conversations feel stilted. Male characters are portrayed as adulterous or abusive. For the most part, their female counterparts start out determined to break the cycle but eventually succumb to the men in their lives. Dysfunctional relationships are the consistent theme.

The book is in dire need of professional editing. Due to incorrect verb tense, missing words, and numerous other grammatical errors, I rate it 1 out of 4 stars. I wouldn't recommend it until the errors are corrected. Also, the collection includes crude sex scenes and language. Though the book is classified in the romance genre, I didn’t find it to be remotely romantic. In light of the explicit content, I definitely wouldn't recommend it to younger readers.
Wow! It sounds like that the author should have had the book edited by someone like you! It is too bad that the book had many errors, crude sex scenes, and crude language. It doesn't sound very professional at all. Thanks for your honest review. I will avoid reading this one.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

LV2R wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 04:44
Cecilia_L wrote: 08 Aug 2018, 16:50 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Religion, Romance, and Real Life" by Tamara D Barnett.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Wow! It sounds like that the author should have had the book edited by someone like you! It is too bad that the book had many errors, crude sex scenes, and crude language. It doesn't sound very professional at all. Thanks for your honest review. I will avoid reading this one.
Thanks for stopping by and for your comment!
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

I am shocked that this book turned out to be such an awful read! It sounds confusing! The number of errors probably made this one a chore to finish. Thank you for reviewing it honestly. I won't bother to read this one.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

KristyKhem wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 10:45 I am shocked that this book turned out to be such an awful read! It sounds confusing! The number of errors probably made this one a chore to finish. Thank you for reviewing it honestly. I won't bother to read this one.
I appreciate your comment.
AmySmiles
Favorite Author: Dana Peters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amysmiles.html
Latest Review: Sex Education for Adults Secrets to Amazing Sex and Happily Ever After Too by John Wilder
fav_author_id: 154082

Post by AmySmiles »

I almost chose this one to review, glad I didn't, but sorry you had too. Thanks for sticking through it and giving an honest review.
Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.
–Author Unknown
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

AmySmiles wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 16:27 I almost chose this one to review, glad I didn't, but sorry you had too. Thanks for sticking through it and giving an honest review.
Thank you, Amy.
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Religion, Romance, and Real Life seems to be a little short on religion and romance. There don't seem to be any redeeming qualities. It sounded like this might be a difficult look at relationships, but educational. It doesn't seem like the author followed through on that.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kfwilson6 wrote: 10 Aug 2018, 22:32 Religion, Romance, and Real Life seems to be a little short on religion and romance. There don't seem to be any redeeming qualities. It sounded like this might be a difficult look at relationships, but educational. It doesn't seem like the author followed through on that.
Yes, I agree. Thanks for stopping by and for your comment.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Thanks for an insightful review. I definitely won't be picking this up. It would be a painful read with all the errors.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

I love reading short stories, and if they illustrate personal relationships, that's a plus. However, due to the erratic writing style you mention (I hate reading stories that make no sense), I'll pass on this one. This book is definitely a No No for me. Thanks for your honest review!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

christabel88 wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 16:56 Thanks for an insightful review. I definitely won't be picking this up. It would be a painful read with all the errors.
I understand. Thanks for your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Kalin Adi wrote: 11 Aug 2018, 19:58 I love reading short stories, and if they illustrate personal relationships, that's a plus. However, due to the erratic writing style you mention (I hate reading stories that make no sense), I'll pass on this one. This book is definitely a No No for me. Thanks for your honest review!
Thanks for your comment.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

It's a shame this book turned out so poorly. The title of the book really gripped me, but the crudeness of sex scenes and the disconnected stories are something I'm not interested in. Thanks for the review though!
“Live, and be happy, and make others so.”
― Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Eryn Bradshaw wrote: 12 Aug 2018, 14:28 It's a shame this book turned out so poorly. The title of the book really gripped me, but the crudeness of sex scenes and the disconnected stories are something I'm not interested in. Thanks for the review though!
Thanks for your comment, Eryn.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”