The Selection Series by Kiera Cass #SPOILERS

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-van-heerden.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
Reading Device: B0147LDSG0

The Selection Series by Kiera Cass #SPOILERS

Post by Cara Van Heerden »

Hey Everyone,

I've recently finished reading all 5 books of the Selection Series. For those of you who haven't read it, the series is about a fictional country called Illea where society is split in numbered castes from 1 being royalty and 8 being homeless. The story follows America, at first, who is a 5 and a performer. She is selected along with 34 other girls to go to the palace and have a chance to fall in love with Prince Maxon. The whole of Illea is watching, but America has no intentions to fall in love!

**WARNING, there will be spoilers from here onwards.**

So who else has read the series and what do you think? Did you love all of it? Or only part of it? Which character(s) is your favorite? What did you think of the love triangle between America, Maxon and Ahren? Did her choice surprise you? And what about the last two books about America's daughter's own selection? Did it flow well or was the time jump jarring?

I found these books really good. The first three books were absolutely amazing! I enjoyed America's story so much and it was entertaining how she didn't want the palace life at all. That's what made her final choice of Maxon so surprising for me. I also really enjoyed the rebels.

The last two books have my favorite character: Kyle. But apart from that, I didn't enjoy Eadlyn's story nearly as much. The time jump was so jarring and the action minimized. I rate the entire series 8.5/10

Let me know your thoughts below.
ccranston
Favorite Book: The Last Time I Lied
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccranston.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by ccranston »

I loved The Selection series! I'm huge fan of dystopian fiction, so I enjoyed reading about this society and the different casts.

I thought the love triangle between America, Maxon, and Ahren was uncomfortable but somewhat relatable. I mean who can forget their first love and the heartbreak from losing them? I was not surprised by her choice though. I mean besides it being the obvious ending, Ahren was the first guy to show interest, so it's easy to fall head over heels without there being any substance. I think there was more to her relationship with Maxon.

I do have to agree that I liked America's story more than Eadlyn's. I was really rooting for Kile, so I was a little disappointed when she chose Eikko. Hale was actually my favorite though, but I knew that wouldn't work lol!
“You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend." –Paul Sweeney
PoisonWhiteRose
Currently Reading: Lion Heart
Bookshelf Size: 1967
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poisonwhiterose.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by PoisonWhiteRose »

I lovwd those books! I read them years ago abd it was one of the most enjoyable series ever. Maxon was my favorite!
Jennifer Kloss
Currently Reading: The Selection
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-kloss.html
Latest Review: The Surgeon's Wife by William H. Coles

Post by Jennifer Kloss »

The book sounds good. I will read this book because I am a huge fan of love stories. Hope so the ending of the book will be amazing.
Hreview
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Hreview »

I loved this book .It was a great entertaining!!
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

I liked the dystopian series. But In some instances I wanted America to be more matured but she acted childishly. Also, I didn't dig their love. It was so formal and had so many rules in them. I understand that is how a prince must act but I needed more intensity in their love. just poor me, I guess. overall I liked every other character. and, Ahern... wow... In India we have a custom called, suyamvar. Many men come and fight to impress the princess and the princess decides whom she will marry. so, I was really looking forward to the gender reversal in this book. but it was only okayish for me. I will rate the book 7/10.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I actually enjoyed the sequel series (about the daughter) even more than the first one. Unlike many trilogies that get extended, the second half of the series actually had a standalone plot and interesting characters.
Moreni

Post by Moreni »

Just read 3 of the series and it made sense, it's an interesting book with good imagery. The author is able to use word well enough. I pictured maxon face and i am inlove with his personality, well i feel it shouldn't have been dragged up to 5, i mean the first 3 up to the selection is ok. Well don't know what the last 2 entails, let's hope it will worth the read, will check it out.

Aaminah
Unicorns46854
Currently Reading:

Post by Unicorns46854 »

OK, so I have read the first 3 books so far, and I loved every single page! I loved the description of the romance and I understood how America felt when she was in the castle. It's a must read for any young adult out there!
Delilah Veronique
Currently Reading: A Love Story

Post by Delilah Veronique »

So far, I'm still reading The Elite but my honest review on The Selection book is it is amazing. I love how America was portrayed as a strong person when she felt broken because of Aspen and in every part when she was on the way to the palace. I love how compassionate she is towards children because she remembers May and to every other people she met. I kinda relate to her in that part. She is an amazing girl or lady rather to know what she really aspires and everytime she and the prince talk it was a natural flow of becoming friends to liking each other which she doesn't know yet but the signs of liking him back was there. I love reading fiction novels and this one gave me the plot twist I wasn't expecting okay I'm expecting a bit on every chapter on what would happen but whatever the author's plot was it still amaze me. I love the book because it gave me or it made ne feel the emotions whatever America was feeling. I love the way it was written and it inspires me. Totally, I give it a thumbs up and would gladly recommend it to my friends because it's a good read.
Nevaeh_h

Post by Nevaeh_h »

I have read all 5 books. It is such a phenomenal book series. The plot twists, love triangle, and the question of who Prince Maxim will choose keeps you glued to the book. America, who is one of the selected and the main character, always seems to go against the crowd. She keeps you wondering if she will be chosen. The King and Queen’s disapproval of America and the
terrorists, there always seems to be something going wrong. America never gave up which was so inspiring. In the face of wrong, she stood up for what was right. Overall, these are amazing books. They are an easy read and unpredictable which keeps you reading.
Vine Michael
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vine-michael.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Vine Michael »

I have tried reading it numerous times but every single time I could not get into it. Maybe I will try it again.
Sammy822
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy822.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Post by Sammy822 »

Vine001 wrote: 22 Jun 2020, 09:15 I have tried reading it numerous times but every single time I could not get into it. Maybe I will try it again.
Frankly, to me, the series sounded like a badly done Bachelor season. I never finished reading the second book.
Ashleigh_G

Post by Ashleigh_G »

Hi everyone!

Are you a fan of The Bachelor on ABC? If so, The Selection series is perfect for you!

This story is told from the viewpoint of a girl named America. She enters into a selection that will decide her future. If her name is drawn to represent her province, she will relocate to the palace in order to fight for Prince Maxon’s heart!

But, America is not competing in the Selection for the same reasons as the other competitors are. Are her intentions pure? How long will she last in this Selection?

Read this book and find out her destiny! Will America become the future Queen or will she get sent home to resume her normal life in the caste system?

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”