Official Review: Vetted by K'Anne Meinel

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Momlovesbooks
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Book for Oreo
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-momlovesbooks.html
Latest Review: Winter's Kiss by H.L. Hines

Official Review: Vetted by K'Anne Meinel

Post by Momlovesbooks »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Vetted" by K'Anne Meinel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Vetted, by K'Anne Meinel, is classified as a romance novel, but contains suspense and "coming-of-age" aspects also. The protagonist, Allyssa, is a college student that is constantly being criticized by her upper-class family. Her parents think she should marry a rich, "country-club" boy and settle down. They expect her to follow the same path as other girls of her age and societal class. They even insisted she take business classes as her course of study.

However, Allyssa is interested in animals and would like to take her college studies in that direction. One day, she accidentally hits a young puppy with her vehicle. She takes it to the nearest veterinary clinic and meets Dr. Fiona Herriott. Fiona gives her a job at the clinic which starts Allyssa down a path of life changes. These changes include finding love and purpose in her life and moving from Colorado to Oregon to start a veterinary practice.

The cover and title of this book drew me in. I love animals, so a story about a veterinarian appealed to me. The book seemed to be well-edited and professionally written.

The author has created an interesting story of two strong women learning to love and overcome hardship. The main characters, Allyssa and Fiona, are well-developed and purposeful characters. However, Allyssa's family members seem to be shallow and unrealistic. They acted in ways that you wouldn't expect someone in this day and age to act.

I enjoyed the part of the book that took the two women from Colorado to Oregon. I could tell the author had done her research from the descriptions of the ranch life and small town living. I really felt the isolation and expansive area of being away from city-life.

I also enjoyed reading about strong women that develop a lasting friendship that grows and develops; showing them just how strong they both are. Together they face and overcome many obstacles. Although this book took an unexpected direction, I still enjoyed it. The romance and love scenes are between two women. I would not recommend this book to someone that finds those types of scenes off-putting. On the other hand, the rest of the book is a wonderful read on friendship and inter-female relationships. The ending was a "feel-good" moment after the ups and downs of the women's lives.

Based on the above observations, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend it to anyone who enjoys animals, adventure and this type of romance. It would not be appropriate for young readers because of the descriptive love scenes.

Vetted
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Momlovesbooks's review? Post a comment saying so!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

Thank you for your lovely review! This certainly seems like a great book, since we rarely get to see books with a lesbian couple as the main characters. I will certainly check it out since it sounds intriguing.
Ginnamassa19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ginnamassa19.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Ginnamassa19 »

Oh man, we so rarely see LGBTQ representation in fiction that this already feels like a triumph. Also, it's really interesting that you noted the story was about friendship as well as romance--too many books focus on the love story and neglect to elaborate on other healthy relationships e.g. among friends and family!

Your high rating has really intrigued me--thank you for your review! :D
Libs_Books
Favorite Book: The year of the flood
Currently Reading: Mason Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 273
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-libs-books.html
Latest Review: Dont Panic Its Organic by Dr. Andy Lopez

Post by Libs_Books »

Thanks for an interesting and very thorough review. Not really my cup of tea, I think, but it's good to know that the Romance genre is opening up to a more diverse readership. Curious about the use of the name Herriott, and wonder if it's a deliberate tribute to the British author of the lightly comic, semi-autobiographical "It Shouldn't Happen to a Vet' books, who writes under the name of James Herriot.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! I always enjoy books that include a character who is a vet or even just an animal lover. Although the supporting characters are not realistically written, it's good to know the main characters are developed well.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kfwilson6
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Well I was kind of on the fence about this one as there wasn't anything about the plot that particularly drew my attention. I'm too much of a traditionalist about relationships to want to read a book that focuses on the relationship of a gay couple. Don't mind people having those relationships, just don't want to read about them.

It sounds like the shallowness of the secondary characters was part of the reason Alyyssa wanted to get away! Maybe that was intentional?
Blessed Taophic
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Blessed Taophic »

Topic review: Vetted by K'Anne Meinel

I guess the writer is on point as to the ups and downs real women of great virtues experience. Women who are willing to go all out,bold,believing in themselves and because they feel the urge to do so. i kind of give it four stars :D
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I had a feeling that was the direction this book would go, love interest-wise. I'm glad you enjoyed the novel so thoroughly and I'm happy to see that the author representing this genre well.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”