Official Review: The String Effect by Alfred K Watson

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: The String Effect by Alfred K Watson

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The String Effect" by Alfred K Watson.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The String Effect by Alfred K. Watson is a suspenseful romance story “about how love can turn into infatuation.” This modern-day romance tale features a man named Alvin as the main character. Alvin is an attractive IT Manager at a law firm and was raised in a church environment. Despite being raised with appropriate life values, Alvin makes his fair share of mistakes in the pages that follow his introduction. Due to his attractive appearance, Alvin has no trouble appealing to beautiful women, and the reader quickly learns that the women he surrounds himself with are no good for him.

When Alvin meets Keisha, he immediately feels love at first sight. Although she seems perfect for him, their trust is soon broken beyond repair. Despite the feelings Alvin shared with Keisha, he later meets Monica. Monica seems to be the woman who has her life together, and ultimately, the perfect match for Alvin. When a bad case of miscommunication interrupts their perfect romance, Alvin is lost without Monica. In attempt to raise his spirits, Alvin’s co-workers take him to a strip club, which is where he meets April, the damaged stripper who quickly establishes feelings for him. With the added fuel of too much alcohol, Alvin and April end up back at his home with a new round of mistakes.

When Alvin finds himself still tangled up between three beautiful women, lies begin to coil to the point of no return. Alvin begins to doubt his decision making abilities regarding which woman is best for him and the infatuation causes some errors that cannot be undone. Will Alvin be able to make the right decision, or will he end up hurting everyone involved?

At roughly 150 pages, The String Effect was a light and easy read, despite the romantic drama that ensued. I was able to finish the story in one sitting, and with only a few complaints. Although I enjoyed the story itself, the editing could use some work. There were a few instances where the wrong “your/you’re” was used as well as miniscule amount of verb tense errors. I am pleased to say that I was easily able to put the errors aside and continue to enjoy the story.

Each character within the story was well-developed to the point of feeling like their conversations were genuine, and I was quickly able to put a face with each of them. The themes involved within the book included love and relationships, trust, infatuation and self-recognition. Due to some mature sexual content in the story, a reader discretion warning is needed. I am pleased to say that I rate The String Effect 3 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the plot and the characters in the book, and my only complaints were that of editing flaws.

The String Effect
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like klbradley's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's too bad about the editing issues. It seems like an interesting story, but I'm not much of one that wants to see one man struggle between two different women he loves. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kourtney Bradley

Thank you for checking it out!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Actually, according to your review I wish to check this book out. The plot fascinated me and I was left with a question about the choice that he made. Moreover, on what base did he make a choice is something I'm interested on, because it involves a lot of emotions.Good review! Love to look at this book!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Kourtney Bradley

I'm glad to hear you think so! Thank you for checking it out!
–Vera Nazarian
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

It's too bad about the grammatical errors, because this book sounds like it would be a real treat otherwise. I hope the author considers revising and professionally editing this novel, because it seems to have a lot of promise. Thank you for your review!
Kourtney Bradley

Thanks, Gunnar! I agree!
–Vera Nazarian
Katerina Katapodi
Favorite Author: Rin Chupeco
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3829

Post by Katerina Katapodi »

The book is Good and Well Cared! It's successis, that based on subject, is more descriptive than informative,and each one can draw his/her own conclusions. The content is something that could touch anyone, in this era of love for materialism we live today. Today, and always in the past of course, we have paradigms of extreme ambition that many times leads to infatuation. We can easily see, where too much self-confidence soon becomes egoism and ego-centrism, deriving from either physical beauty (equally for men and women), here Alvin makes most of his mistakes, because, at least as he thinks, he's handsome, and he can attract women easily, and easily still have the woman he mostly loves, if so. Finally he's blindfrom infatuation, and obviously he cannot judge correctly: Why? It's because obviously he cannot judge Himself correctly. And instead of trying to restore his mistakes, when he joins April, he still continues to make the same mistakes, being over too confident from his career also as manager IT in a Law Firm. He forgets past easily, and doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes..Will he be a successfuk stakeholder? Will he conquer any woman he wants? All this happens, because his fanatic for somethings, and he lacks maturity and reasl self esteem, and this means he has never criticized seriosuly himself. Thus this develops ambition and feeds ego0centrism, till failure in life, will ''wake-him up'' from his cheaty dreams..
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

The cover doesn't seem to match the contents, does it? And how did love turn into infatuation? What an interesting question. Sounds kind of messed up. Thanks for the review, but the story sounds too harem-y for me...with a guy...and three girls...and...well...I think I'll pass on this one.
Kourtney Bradley

inaramid wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 02:54 The cover doesn't seem to match the contents, does it? And how did love turn into infatuation? What an interesting question. Sounds kind of messed up. Thanks for the review, but the story sounds too harem-y for me...with a guy...and three girls...and...well...I think I'll pass on this one.
Good point! The cover really has nothing to do with the content. And although the title is mentioned in the story, it didn't seem that fitting to me personally.
Thank you for checking it out!
–Vera Nazarian
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

I am always into romantic novels. Would love to read this one.
Admirable review
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Alvin seems like a really dislikable character; the author would have to some serious literary acrobatics to make me empathise with him. Hopefully theres some kind of redemption for his character in the end, but I dont plan on finding out.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

This sounds like the kind of book that suddenly makes your problems feel not so bad.... or at least makes you focus on someone else's for a while.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Red Paradise
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Red Paradise »

I would definitely check this out
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 07034374223 »

Love and Infatuation? Can love actually turn to infatuation? Infatuation can turn to love not the other way round.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”