Half girlfriend by chetan bhagat

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Humamazhar2018
Currently Reading: The Vatican Children
Bookshelf Size: 21

Icon Half girlfriend by chetan bhagat

Post by Humamazhar2018 »

Chetan Baghat is a popular youth icon in India. His past books had inspired many directors of Bollywood to make movies on his book and movies like 3 idiots, 2 states, kai po che are inspired from chetan bhagat's books.

Madhav, a ‘non-English’ boy from rural Bihar gets into St Stephen’s college through his basketball prowess (sports quota) and falls in love with rich, elite, ‘English’ Delhi-girl Riya. He falls madly in love; she doesn’t. They become ‘friends’ — which in Madhav’s mind always means potential for something more.

They play basketball, he tries to kiss her, she dodges, he tries to kiss her, she dodges, he kisses her, she gets mad, he says sorry, she’s okay, they play basketball, he gets horny, he gets horny, he gets horny, he tries to sleep with her, she refuses, he says something in ‘crass’ Hindi, she gets mad, he says sorry, she ignores him, he says sorry, she says piss off, he is heartbroken, friendship over, story over? Not quite. He stalks her, he stalks her, he stalks her, he says sorry, she says she’s getting married to a rich, English-type guy based in London, he says wtf, she flies off, he’s heartbroken, he stops playing basketball, graduates, gives a shitty interview but still gets a ‘multi-national’ banking gig, but hates Delhi so decides to return to his home town in Dumrao where he is to be enthroned as the king of a crumbling, rural town. He will work in his mother’s rural school.

Life moves on. Blah, blah, Bill Gates, blah, Riya returns to India, to Patna in fact, she’s divorced, he’s still in love, they talk about life, he holds her hand, blah, blah, he falls more and more madly in love, they kiss, they hug, he’s in love but she retreats, saying she loves him more than the world but she has cancer and is dying and hence has decided to vanish forever. He is heartbroken. End of the story? Of course not.

Chetan Bhagat decides to make an appearance in his own story as himself. Bhagat encounters Madhav in Chanakya Hotel, who is still heartbroken and has found some old journals of Riya. Hands the journals to Bhagat and vanishes. Bhagat reads the journals and is so emotional that he calls Madhav back and highlights a couple of paragraphs. Important bits: Riya was abused by her dad as a kid; Rohan (her husband) abused her after marriage; Riya retreats because of these reasons; Goes to Patna to find Madhav in a sense, but knows Madhav’s mother won’t accept her, hence decides to fake her illness and vanish from his life forever.

The end? Not quite. Madhav knows this is true love and hence must literally cross the seven seas to find her. Goes to New York, becomes a lunatic searching for her across the city, finds her on the last day, the weep, they cry, they say the love each other.

Then he ‘enters’ her and their love is consummated. They have a kid, school is going well, everything ends on a Bollywood-tastic happy note.

THE END

The pacing of the story is quite good. It’s a fast, surprising, easy read — and a page-turner. Plots are decent enough.
Chetan Bhagat also popular of bestsellers like One Night @ the Call Center, Five Point Someone, 3 mistakes of My life and 2 States: The Story of My Marriage.
Monae3
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by Monae3 »

I just watched this Movie! I love to know that it is based off of a book. Maybe that's why i loved the movie.
Humamazhar2018
Currently Reading: The Vatican Children
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by Humamazhar2018 »

But reading this book had given a different pleasure and narration was super cool, i also watched that movie because of this book but book was far more better than movie.
Mohd Zubair
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mohd Zubair »

I like to read romantic novels a lot. It is in my collection, one of the fantastic work of Chetan Bhagat. Like the narration and story telling way.
KimJaeEun

Post by KimJaeEun »

I love reading romantic novels and I'm definitely happy with this story content. It has perfect description that give us the idea of the scenario. It has drama romance, little comedy, etc
Selinquentine

Post by Selinquentine »

I feel the novel is quite overrated. Though the beginning is good but certain events are unbelievable. Like Sir Bill Gates coming to India himself in one of the smallest towns of Bihar. Though the ending is really good.
garima597
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-garima597.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by garima597 »

It is really a great book of chatan bhagat. I have read his other books and from all of them i have liked this best.
G@RIMA :techie-studyingbrown:
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

I only watched the movie, it was a little bit touching to see the dude rejected so many times. I'm eager to give the book a try. The author might really be a great writer if 3 idiots is even empowered by one of his books. Nice review.
Yash047

Post by Yash047 »

One of the many CB books that stand close to my heart.
Narration is as good as always and the author makes sure that you do relate to the main protagonist in the story as much as possible.
Keeps you hooked right till the last page.
Highly recommended.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

If cheesy stereotypical romance novels which are written to be made into bollywood movies are your thing, then chetan bhagat's books are for you. Personally, I think he is just a smart businessman who can write a little.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

This book was overrated. It is not my favourite of Chetan Bhagat. It was too cliched and not at all realistic. I did not enjoy the book but the movie was good.
Aradhana Xaxa

Post by Aradhana Xaxa »

love has no boundaries but I personally feels that why to start a story with lust.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”