Erotica or Romance?

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Re: Erotica or Romance?

Post by lisalynn »

Bring on the erotica, the steamier the better. I"m not talking about letters to Penthouse, but well-written stories with a plot that sex just happens to be part of.
Jlbaird85
Currently Reading: Lift you up
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlbaird85.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Jlbaird85 »

I like both, but there has to be interesting characters and a storyline. It really depends on my mood as to which one I will choose. I find my reading choice changes day-by-day!
Mushimwa
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Mushimwa »

Adorable romance most definitely
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

I would prefer a steamy romance with interesting storyline and main characters who are respectful to each other, which I find often lacking in erotica novels... I mean all this stalking, kidnapping, forcing sex on another... and of course the caveman/cavewoman attitude "you are mine, and I will have you, blah blah".
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I love romance because I'm a hopeless romantic, though I do enjoy the ocasional erotic novel. It's hard to find good erotica though, I feel they all infantilize the female lead too much, falling for the man-savior trope. Which is a huge turn-off for me.
tmangl7670
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tmangl7670.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by tmangl7670 »

I like both, but I lean towards romance novels more because they have more if a plot than erotica novels.
Mariahbenson6
Currently Reading: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 371
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariahbenson6.html
Latest Review: Geraldine by Edmund M Aristone
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mariahbenson6 »

I think it is interesting that alot of these reviews are criticizing erotica as not having a plot.
It seems to me that there are just as many adorable romances that are also plotless or very basic.
I prefer erotica, but it MUST have a story line and I like when it fits the bill for being an adorable romance also.

With all this being said, I am picky. I prefer erotica. But very specific erotica, only the good stuff!
Barbara Larkin
Currently Reading: The Raven Boys
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara-larkin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Barbara Larkin »

I have equal preference. At one point, I'd want the light-hearted, adorableness of romance, but then the heavy stuff also holds a certain appeal.
Sammy822
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sammy822.html
Latest Review: Russia's Biggest Hack by James E. Doucette

Post by Sammy822 »

I love both. Usually, it happens that I will read a lot of erotica. Then I'll read a romance book because I'll need a break from erotica. I'll again go back to erotica and the loop continues.
TasiWin
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by TasiWin »

scarletterayneauthor wrote: 23 Jan 2017, 15:25 I like both and it depends what I am in the mood for at the moment.
i second you. I love both. Just depends on the mood I am in
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

scarletterayneauthor wrote: 23 Jan 2017, 15:25 I like both and it depends what I am in the mood for at the moment.
i second you. I love both. Just depends on the mood I am in
Sammy822 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 04:56 I love both. Usually, it happens that I will read a lot of erotica. Then I'll read a romance book because I'll need a break from erotica. I'll again go back to erotica and the loop continues.
Me too I read one type until I can't stomach I anymore then switch up
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

Mariahbenson6 wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 11:42 I think it is interesting that alot of these reviews are criticizing erotica as not having a plot.
It seems to me that there are just as many adorable romances that are also plotless or very basic.
I prefer erotica, but it MUST have a story line and I like when it fits the bill for being an adorable romance also.

With all this being said, I am picky. I prefer erotica. But very specific erotica, only the good stuff!
I had a similar conversation with an author who said erotica authors are jokers cause the content can be written by anyone
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

TasiWin wrote: 24 Jul 2020, 10:19
Mariahbenson6 wrote: 04 Aug 2019, 11:42 I think it is interesting that alot of these reviews are criticizing erotica as not having a plot.

I had a similar conversation with an author who said erotica authors are jokers cause the content can be written by anyone
i am also picky about my eroticas cause I have met some very poorly done books.

Who is your favourite,?
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

lisalynn wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 11:23 Bring on the erotica, the steamier the better. I"m not talking about letters to Penthouse, but well-written stories with a plot that sex just happens to be part of.
i her you. The steamier the better. But sometimes do you tire of the sex scenes and skip them?
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

allee88 wrote: 24 Jan 2017, 09:28 For me, it depends on how they're written. I can read either one as long as there is a strong female lead, and there's a lot of plot involved before the characters are in bed/love. That usually eliminates Harlequin for me, but not always. I read a lot of romance novels off of my mom's shelf growing up and learned what my preference was pretty quickly.
i gave up on harlequins so long ago cause of this.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”