Official Review: If I Loved You by Mary J Williams

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KWill20
Favorite Author: mark zusak
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4056">The Glass Castle</a>
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwill20.html
Latest Review: "If I Loved You" by Mary J Williams
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 17801

Official Review: If I Loved You by Mary J Williams

Post by KWill20 »

[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If I Loved You" by Mary J Williams.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

If I Loved You by Mary J. Williams is book number one in the Harper Falls series. This is the first novel Williams has ever put out, which surprises me due to the fact that her writing is so good. Williams knows how to captivate an audience with her words and keep them intrigued. I found her dialogue to be especially interesting, as she always had a way of keeping it lighthearted, sexy and fun. By the end of the novel, I was left feeling like I hadn’t had enough of the small town that is Harper Falls. I didn’t want the story to end, I really got invested into it and I think you will, too!

The main character of the story is Rose, a rising recording artist and musician. Rose seems to have her life together: she has a great career and great friends. She likes the fact that she is not tied down to a romantic relationship and promises that she will never get married. But one day she realizes that she needs something to fulfill her sexual desires and so, she decides to initiate a one night stand at the Harper Falls Ball.

Enter Jack, a celebrity bodyguard who is very single and attainable. Rose comes on to Jack and they immediately discover the spark between them. Soon, they start to get to know each other better, and they quickly realize they have feelings for each other. Although Rose’s goal was to have a one night stand with no strings attached, can she be able to maintain that type of relationship with Jack, a man that she really, really likes?

I enjoyed the way this story turned out. Although it seems pretty predictable, you soon discover unexpected plot twists and themes other than lust. The emotions that came from these stories definitely tugged on my heart strings, and they will tug on yours as well. Williams touched on all the emotions on the spectrum, such as anger, love, anxiousness and sadness, which is hard to do in a romance novel like this one. She somehow made the words you see on the page come alive and made me fall in love with the characters, plot and setting. I quickly became interested in all of the stories that made the characters who they are, including their past and current struggles.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The only reason I did not give the novel the full four stars is because of the grammar issues. For me, these issues did take my attention away from the story at times. It’s not very hard to notice that the editing in this book wasn’t very thorough. But excluding the grammar, I would read this book again in a heartbeat. All in all I thought this novel was a fun, quick, and excellent read for the summer. I recommend it to anyone who is a sap for a delightfully sexy and cute romance story!

If I Loved You
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like KWill20's review? Post a comment saying so!
Latest Review: "If I Loved You" by Mary J Williams
shelley_soetosenojo
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21940">the fiery cross</a>
Currently Reading: A Taste of Seduction
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelley-soetosenojo.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B0716S5G56
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by shelley_soetosenojo »

Great job on the review. As a sucker for romance novels, this book will definitely go on my wish list.
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

I get so distracted by grammar issues! This might be an interesting book, but it would probably take me forever to get through because I would be so easily distracted!
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Espie
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

Thank you for your well-written review. I think I've already outgrown reading books of this genre several decades ago. There are pieces where technical errors could be an impediment for me to consider them as a good read, yet there are those that are so compelling enough for me not to mind the hiccups at all.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thank you for your review. I'm glad you enjoyed the book. It's a shame that there were grammar issues which affected the flow of the book
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

KWill20 wrote: 07 Aug 2015, 19:42 [Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "If I Loved You" by Mary J Williams.]

I enjoyed the way this story turned out. Although it seems pretty predictable, you soon discover unexpected plot twists and themes other than lust. The emotions that came from these stories definitely tugged on my heart strings, and they will tug on yours as well. Williams touched on all the emotions on the spectrum, such as anger, love, anxiousness and sadness, which is hard to do in a romance novel like this one. She somehow made the words you see on the page come alive and made me fall in love with the characters, plot and setting. I quickly became interested in all of the stories that made the characters who they are, including their past and current struggles.
I like how an author can make the reader feel emotions like you mentioned above. It is great how the author can make the readers fall in love with the characters and the story. Rose only wanted a one night stand, but she may find much more as she gets to know Jack.
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by topdan30 »

Thanks for the great review. The book will be worth a read.
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

This not a book I would be interested in. I enjoyed your review though. Thanks.
Oulababe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oulababe.html
Latest Review: Invisible Me by H M Irwing

Post by Oulababe »

Sounds like a very interesting series. I love music and a musician character is very captivating.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

The fact that you didn't want the story to end speaks well for the book. I'm not sure books of this genre interest me very much at this point in my life. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it, though.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

Glad you enjoyed the book and great review. Not sure I'd be able to push through the grammar mistakes as well as you but if these were addressed count me in!
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I really enjoyed reading your review and was thinking of having this book to my tbr list until you mention the grammatical errors. I am at the stage of polishing my grammar; I don't think I can risk reading this book and other books with grammatical errors. Thank you for your honest review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Despite being her debut novel, the author seems to have knit an engaging story. Pity that there were grammatical errors. Thanks for the honest review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I'm sorry, I have never read a book by this author, but your review makes it so compelling to do so. Thank you for your review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Sounds like a great book (other than the errors), and a great review :tiphat: !

It is always noteworthy when it is the author's first novel like you said. With some editing they would have got the best rating, so great first effort!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”