Review of Catch a Falling Star

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Review of Catch a Falling Star

Post by Aisha Yakub »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Catch a Falling Star" by Lizzie Collins.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

After getting married to Gil, Connie realized that getting married to a rockstar was everything she hadn't wanted. At the age of seventeen, Gil had been her first and only love. However, four years later, she became depressed, as the love of her life was barely available. He seemed to be more married to his audience than he was to her. With two children, marriage became more complicated. Gil was never there for the children or her.

Oliver's marriage with Rachel is almost nonexistent. He finds love in Connie. Giulia has always had feelings for Gil. With Gil and Connie growing apart, there could be love waiting for them in other places. Can Connie and Gil fix things between themselves?

Catch a Falling Star by Lizzie Collins follows the story of Gil, whose family and fame leave him at the same time. One thing I enjoyed about this book was how it effectively mirrored the life of a star. I got to read about Gil trying to make it in the music industry. Then, he succeeds, and he is dealing with the problems of fame, which include having his family torn apart. In addition, Gil, an already famous musician, struggles to remain a star. I think this book couldn't have captured a more relatable setting for a star. Many times, we think stars have it going great all the time. As hot as classy ladies considered Gil to be, he was very insecure about his weight.

The issue of the family as addressed in this book interested me. Both Gil and Connie didn't want to admit it, but having children at the time they did seemed more like a disaster than a blessing to them. As a result, their children were made to suffer the consequences of their selfishness. This made me think about parenting from a different perspective. I enjoyed the bond each individual had with their families. It was refreshing to see characters who had made a lot of mistakes run into the safe arms of their families. Grace helped her son, Oliver, through a difficult task. Carrie overwhelmed her daughter when she sought her help. However, not all families were perfect, and this seemed to balance the story, as I got to read about different types of families and characters. There was Monty, who was the abusive father. The characterization was greatly done. Different types of characters made this book very interesting. This book was professionally edited, as I only came across a few errors.

The storyline was great. There were times I felt sad. Other times, I was curious to know what was going to happen next. However, I felt like the wait was a bit more prolonged than necessary. The main story in this book only started developing after I had turned too many pages. The wait was initially interesting, but later, it disturbed my reading experience. I felt like the resolutions were overstretched. It seemed like the characters were turning in endless circles to get to a point I already felt they were going to get to. In addition, the narration got me a bit confused at some points. What led to certain situations was quite unclear. The first time I read about Oliver, he was introducing Connie to his wife, Rachel. The next time, he's telling her he's separated already. The abrupt way the information was given was a negative aspect for me. For these reasons, I am deducting a star. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it lower because I felt the positives outweighed the negatives.

I recommend this book to readers struggling to put their families first. If you like to read about love, fame, and family, then this book is for you.

Catch a Falling Star
View: on Bookshelves
Micah_1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-micah-1.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Micah_1 »

I just know that the life of celebrities isn't always easy, and marrying a celebrity is not an easy thing either. I really enjoyed your review.
Eriikeoluwa Nimi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriikeoluwa-nimi.html
Latest Review: The Three Heavens by Paul Hitchiner

Post by Eriikeoluwa Nimi »

Hmm. Love, fame and family are things that need to be balanced in the life of celebrities. The storyline seems cool and I enjoyed the review.
Valeria Rotaru
Currently Reading: Of Human Bondage
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valeria-rotaru.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Valeria Rotaru »

I would really be interested in the sort of relationship that famous people maintain. I mean it is obvious that once you are famous you would have a great pool of people instantly falling in love with you, so how could such people maintain faifulness in their own relationships. I guess I'll have to read to find out.
Israel10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-israel10.html
Latest Review: Creating Wellbeing and Building Resilience in the Veterinary Profession by Sonja A. Olson, DVM

Post by Israel10 »

Catch a Falling Star by Lizzie Collins follows the story of Gil, whose family and fame leave him at the same time. One thing I enjoyed about this book was how it effectively mirrored the life of a star. Great review.
Chiwendu Ikechukwu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiwendu-ikechukwu.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chiwendu Ikechukwu »

It is interesting to know that captivating reviews like this are gotten in this site. This book seems interesting. Adding it to my book shelf ASAP.
Kendal Low
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Billboards Across America by D.J. Parsons

Post by Kendal Low »

This seems lik quite an interesting story. I think sometimes people forget that celebrities are just normal people and have their own mundane problems too. Really great review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”