Review of Black Flames

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Laney K
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laney-k.html
Latest Review: SandPeople by Cheryl Kerr
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Review of Black Flames

Post by Laney K »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black Flames" by Madilynn Dale.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Black Flames by Madilynn Dale follows Ember, a shifter who is waiting for her wolf to emerge from inside her. She thinks that she is just a late bloomer since everyone she knows can transform already. However, when Ember encounters a demon, her entire world changes. She begins to question herself as lies that she had been told since childhood begin to come to light. She no longer wants to accept her role as the contracted mate of the Alpha's son. Ember no longer knows who or what she is, and she wants the choice to figure it out herself. She is drafted to be a part of a task force that is meant to deal with the invading demons. Ember's story is a mix of fantasy, romance, action, and self-discovery.

My favorite part of this novel was the intricate world. Dale created a unique fantasy world inhabited by shifters, demons, vampires, and a whole cast of other creatures. The different species have detailed histories that are hinted at as Ember goes on her journey. Ember starts training for a mission to protect the shifters' territory from invading demons and ends up kidnapped and taken to Hell. There she is pivotal in a plot that could upset the balance of the world. The details that brought these conflicts to life made the world feel vibrant and alive.

There is also a lot of romance in this book as well. Ember is engaged to marry a man she does not love. However, Ember is not willing to accept this as she searches for her true mate. I found the relationships to be quite compelling.

There was nothing I truly disliked about this book. I only spotted two errors. I believe this book was professionally edited.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. The characters, world, and plot were all compelling. I had an enjoyable experience reading this book and would read another book by this author. I found myself unwilling to put the book down. This is a good choice for readers looking for a mix of fantasy and romance. There is strong language and sexual content. Sensitive audiences should keep that in mind, and I can not recommend this for anyone under the age of eighteen. However, if that does not bother you and you are at all interested in the genre, I would highly recommend reading this book.

Black Flames
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Caroline Elizabeth 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caroline-elizabeth-1.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Caroline Elizabeth 1 »

The plot sounds interesting but I'm not interested in demons and hell and would have to pass on this one.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

From the cover page of this book, it sounds interesting and horrible. I will give the book a try. Great review.
Laney K
Currently Reading:

Post by Laney K »

Nwaka Chukwuemeka wrote: 12 Aug 2022, 00:06 From the cover page of this book, it sounds interesting and horrible. I will give the book a try. Great review.
I hope you enjoy it if you end up reading it! I know I quite enjoyed every page of it.
abstactlemon
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmanuel-onwuanaku.html
Latest Review: Mindsponge Theory by Quan-Hoang Vuong

Post by abstactlemon »

What a premise! I love a good werewolf story (they're a guilty pleasure :) ) but it seems this one has a twist and I'm going to enjoy it all the more.
it is what it is ....
Laney K
Currently Reading:

Post by Laney K »

readinginahammock wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 01:06 What a premise! I love a good werewolf story (they're a guilty pleasure :) ) but it seems this one has a twist and I'm going to enjoy it all the more.
This is definitely an interesting one with lots of different plot twists. Thanks for reading my review!
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

I love surpernatural books that have romance! This definitely sounds like a book for me. Great review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”