Review of Omega and Macumba

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nino Chinonso Onwurah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nino-chinonso-onwurah.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Review of Omega and Macumba

Post by Nino Chinonso Onwurah »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Omega and Macumba" by Alan Platt.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I've got to applaud Alan Platt. He created the most bizarre of stories with unrealistic events. Yet he managed to hold my attention through the ride. I would say he is a master at manipulating events to create suspense. He revealed the end of the story at the start of the book, which put me off a bit. But somehow, I managed to read on, interested in learning the sequence of events that led to the fatal conclusion. Moreover, he told the story as if it were non-fiction. I had to check the internet a couple of times to make sure this wasn't a true-life story.

In Omega and Macumba, Alan Platt narrates the tale of a rock music god, Oliver. Oliver's life changes when an old scientist dies just right beside him on an airplane. The man had told him of an impending earthquake in New York, which made a deep impression on Oliver. He names his band "Fear the Coming New York Earthquake." He endeavors to warn people about the imminent danger, but no one listens, even in the scientific community. Imagine what becomes of him when the catastrophe materializes.

On the other hand, Oliver falls in love with a kind, beautiful, and innocent supermodel, Macumba. However, dark magic resides within her and is capable of brewing fatalities that she can do nothing to stop. When people start dropping dead around Oliver, what will he do to the love of his life?

I have already commended the author's creativity for keeping this book ever engrossing. However, I kept sighing about the exaggerated abilities and the unreal occurrences I encountered at every turn. I just felt the author was scribbling down his fantasies. Many events were absurd to me, more so the ending. Nonetheless, they were emotional, and the anger I felt by disagreeing with the author’s choice of events made them more passionate. I can't think of a strong theme in the book that made an impression on me. I guess it's because many incidents seemed unrealistic to me.

I rate this book three out of four stars. Based on the absurdity of the events, I would have offered a lower rating. However, suspense and passion should be at the core of all creative writing, and this book embodied them. Hence, I increased my rating. I recommend this book to lovers of fantasy and anyone who wants an engrossing read despite the quality. 

Omega and Macumba
View: on Bookshelves
Ozioma Miriam
Currently Reading: The Love Charm
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ozioma-miriam.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Ozioma Miriam »

This book sounds interesting. Though revealing what would happen at the end of the book, in the beginning, would put me off also. What a nice and honest review! Kudos.
Judy46
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-judy46.html
Latest Review: The First Time Father by Alfie Thomas

Post by Judy46 »

From your review, this book captures my interest. I would like to read it next. Great review.
Patty Allread
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

Nice review! Oliver's story sounds far-flung but exciting. It seems there really is a bit of fantasy in this novel.
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

Wow a suspenseful read. It was really commendable that Oliver named his band to warn people. This is a fantastic review.
Elijah0007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elijah0007.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Elijah0007 »

I've read a number of books that turned out to be mostly an outlet for the author's wild fantasies. I don't condemn that, quite the opposite actually. But there should be a limit to how much absurdity you can allow your readers to take. Thanks for the review.
Abiodunakinola
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abiodunakinola.html
Latest Review: Relieved by Cheryl Richardson

Post by Abiodunakinola »

This is a story that talks about how Oliver received a warning from an old scientist about great earthquakes that will happen in New York, and how Oliver tried to warn people about it. Thanks for the great review.
Summer Henrietta
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-summer-henrietta.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Summer Henrietta »

I believe the suspense and passion embedded in the book would keep me engrossed too but the absurdity would definitely keep me sighing too.
Thanks for the honest review.
Cheers.
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

It seems what we usually call 'film trick' took the day. As you have rightly said, sometimes, when people write fiction, they just want to pour it as they have imagined it. Maybe the author was carried away in his world of fantasy. But all the same, I think the singular fact of the exaggeration will. Make the book appealing to me.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Rita Nuncia
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rita-nuncia.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Rita Nuncia »

I have always thought books under the fantasy genres have an element of absurdity and exaggeration, that’s why I can be reluctant to choose a book in that genre. However, some do turn out really nice. The author’s skill with suspense is definitely commendable. Nice review too.
Azubike Richard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azubike-richard.html
Latest Review: Love and Resistance by Marie J. Mond

Post by Azubike Richard »

I've read a few books that turned out to be primarily the author's irrational fantasies being expressed. I don't criticize that; in fact, just the reverse. There should, however, be a limit to how much ridiculousness you can subject your audience to. I appreciate the review.
Jelly_J
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jelly-j.html
Latest Review: Annihilation by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Jelly_J »

Wow... I can also feel the suspense this book promises from your review. Oliver's life looks to be very complicated from falling in love with someone capable of destruction to not being believed about an earthquake waiting to happen, I believe this book although unrealistic is worth the read. Great review.
Nwaka Chukwuemeka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaka-chukwuemeka.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Nwaka Chukwuemeka »

The book sounds good, I have been able to understand what the book is talking about through your review. I think I will read it. Great review.
Francis Aderogbin
Favorite Book: Money Faucet
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 189
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Francis Aderogbin »

I believe the reason the author put the conclusion of the book at the beginning is to create curiosity and drive the reader to want to know how the ending came to be. I enjoyed reading your review.
lawisimportant23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lawisimportant23.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by lawisimportant23 »

I agree that the book is as bizarre as it is brilliant. Great review.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”