Review of Stitches

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Review of Stitches

Post by Prisallen »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Stitches" by Julie L. James.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hero Taylor sliced her finger as a teenager and had to endure receiving stitches for her injury by a rude and impatient doctor. Following that incident, she became convinced that her career would be to train physicians to demonstrate more empathy toward their patients. Therefore, she started her own school of manners for doctors. Her longtime friend Dr. John Pepper assisted Hero in getting established, introducing her to the necessary people and helping however he could.

One day, Dr. Lee Taylor arrived to see if her school would be appropriate for the students and physicians at Greenville University Medical School. Although extremely handsome, he seemed arrogant and was so blunt he irritated her to the point that she lost her manners and ended up screaming at him. In spite of that, he still requested her school’s services. Dr. Taylor obviously was fascinated by her, and although Hero tried to ignore the fact, she experienced a similar attraction toward him. However, he was quite mysterious, and she suspected meaningful personal information was being withheld from her. In addition, Dr. Pepper was behaving strangely and was also harboring secrets.

Stitches by Julie L. James is a 232-page romance novel. Each chapter begins with a quotation, typically having to do with manners. Ms. James’s prose is descriptive, imaginative, and easy to follow. Intermittent humor in the dialogue and text messages caused me to smile and lightened the mood. The attraction between Hero and Dr. Taylor is almost palpable and produces a compelling story; however, the mysteries having to do with Dr. Pepper and Dr. Taylor add an extra element that makes the tale even more captivating. The novel excellently addresses themes that include realizing we are all imperfect and prone to mistakes, forgiveness, and the importance of loved ones (especially when one is enduring difficult times).

The book is narrated from Hero’s first-person point of view, which assists us in getting to know and understand her actions. She represented a passionate and determined individual, developing her school and making it a success, even though no one thought she had a chance to succeed. She was very self-confident but not arrogant. Nonetheless, I disliked the fact that Hero was so quick to become angry and give up on others when they needed her the most. I wanted her to listen and be more empathetic to them the same way she insisted that her doctors be to their patients. However, it does illustrate she is flawed and causes her to seem human. Hero’s feelings toward Dr. Taylor and Dr. Pepper evolve as the story progresses, and she learns more about them. One can appreciate several facets of their characters, and readers are reminded that we all have strengths and weaknesses.

Sadly, I discovered a few too many errors for a perfect score. Although the mistakes were minor and didn’t affect my enjoyment, the book requires another round of editing to achieve its potential. Consequently, because of the previous statements, Stitches receives a rating of three out of four stars. It is enthusiastically recommended to readers who enjoy romance novels. One of the things I really appreciated was graphic sex scenes and definite profanities were not encountered in the book. Subsequently, it would be appropriate for teenagers and adults.

Stitches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Training for physicians to be more empathic toward their patients sounds like a marvelous idea :) I would always appreciate a romance novel with a touch of humor, but hope the author fixes all issues soon! Thank you for this wonderful review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ellylion wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 04:58 Training for physicians to be more empathic toward their patients sounds like a marvelous idea :) I would always appreciate a romance novel with a touch of humor, but hope the author fixes all issues soon! Thank you for this wonderful review!
I think most doctors are quite empathetic, but I have encountered some that should take this class. :lol: Thanks for stopping by!
Oyedeji Funmilayo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oyedeji-funmilayo.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Oyedeji Funmilayo »

From being motivated for a reason to falling in love in the course. The books sounds interesting and I look forward to reading it. Good review
Ruth Frances A
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rescuing General Patton
Currently Reading: Desperate Season
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruth-frances-a.html
Latest Review: Lucky by Spare Time Novels
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Ruth Frances A »

Hero is an interesting character. Training Doctors to have more empathy and sympathy is a good plan. It is even better to teach many good manners. However, some of these are individual characteristics. Only an individual can control their reactions. Thank you for this review. The theme of forgiveness and the realization of imperfection is well brought out. Perhaps Doctors see too much sickness and suffering and nothing is new to them. Whatever the case, I will be reading this book. I enjoy the romance genre. The mystery implied further seals the deal. The two Doctors are rather intriguing. Let’s find out what one of them is hiding. I sure will.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Oyedeji Funmilayo wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 15:23 From being motivated for a reason to falling in love in the course. The books sounds interesting and I look forward to reading it. Good review
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Thanks for reading my review!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ruth Frances A wrote: 02 Jul 2022, 15:29 Hero is an interesting character. Training Doctors to have more empathy and sympathy is a good plan. It is even better to teach many good manners. However, some of these are individual characteristics. Only an individual can control their reactions. Thank you for this review. The theme of forgiveness and the realization of imperfection is well brought out. Perhaps Doctors see too much sickness and suffering and nothing is new to them. Whatever the case, I will be reading this book. I enjoy the romance genre. The mystery implied further seals the deal. The two Doctors are rather intriguing. Let’s find out what one of them is hiding. I sure will.
I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did. :techie-studyingbrown: Thanks for stopping by!
Francis Omotayo Aderogbin
Currently Reading: The Great Migration
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-francis-omotayo-aderogbin.html
Latest Review: Escape from Tuoyawon by R. Murrey Haist

Post by Francis Omotayo Aderogbin »

The book sounds great. I love the plot, and it pricks my interest. I hope the editor will edit the book one more time for a maximum rating.
You are yet to be the best version of yourself. Keep refining.
Ronzy Adams
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ronzy Adams »

I always appreciate a good love story and the added touch on the idea of teaching doctors to be more empathetic was also next level. Love it
Ruthwriter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruthwriter.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Ruthwriter »

Mindset is very important in any endeavor. I love the mindset of Taylor. doing right, what someone was doing wrong is one of the bases of life. Good review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Francis_Reads wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 08:03 The book sounds great. I love the plot, and it pricks my interest. I hope the editor will edit the book one more time for a maximum rating.
I do too. I hope you get to read it. :D
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ronzy Adams wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 10:47 I always appreciate a good love story and the added touch on the idea of teaching doctors to be more empathetic was also next level. Love it
I don't think you will be disappointed at all if you read it!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Ruthwriter wrote: 04 Jul 2022, 13:11 Mindset is very important in any endeavor. I love the mindset of Taylor. doing right, what someone was doing wrong is one of the bases of life. Good review.
Thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to read my review!
Oluwapelumi Rachael
Currently Reading: In It Together
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluwapelumi-rachael.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Oluwapelumi Rachael »

I've also had terrible experiences with rude health workers,so I think it's great that the book highlights this. I'm also loving the romantic element. Amazing review.
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:

Post by Prisallen »

Oluwapelumi Rachael wrote: 06 Jul 2022, 18:21 I've also had terrible experiences with rude health workers,so I think it's great that the book highlights this. I'm also loving the romantic element. Amazing review.
Thank you. I hope you get a chance to read it. I think you will appreciate it!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”