Review of The Hoyden and the Rake

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Review of The Hoyden and the Rake

Post by Praise GodWord »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hoyden and the Rake" by Victoria Price.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It is a quiet battle between leaving the past behind, acting on the present, and having a happy future. The Hoyden and the Rake by Victoria Price is the perfect love tale. It started with Fiona Cavendish, who had made a justified choice but brought to her the true love she sought in the long run. Philip Merton, also known as Lord Sheffield, has a bad reputation of being a libertine and a rake. This is due to an occurrence from his past with his late wife, Elizabeth. This had also caused friction in his friendship with Ted. He is the rake Fiona had found true love in. Philip, in turn, thinks of her as a precious well-bred hoyden he can never have. Apart from them not accepting to be worthy of each other, other things prove to be a barrier to their love, marriage, and their happiness together. Do they eventually get past these barriers, acknowledge one another feelings and show them with no restraint?

The kind of relationship portrayed in the book is relatable and exhilarating. Many twists in Fiona and Phillip's love story got me curious and kept me in suspense till the end of the book. I had a lot of questions running through my mind, the uncertainty of how the whole story would turn out. But the author did a great job in answering these questions in the course of the story. The personality given to Fiona Cavendish is rare, especially her determination to not go against her one principle of marriage no matter the circumstance.

Another positive aspect of the book was switching the name of a character. One character was referred to in different names according to the biological name given, and I wasn't confused by this. For instance, Ted was called Edward Cavendish sometimes, and at other times was called Ted. Philip Merton was sometimes called Lord Sheffield at other times. This is a positive aspect of the book because it adds uniqueness.

This book was a great read as I learned about true love, integrity, values, and the consequences of greed, deceit, and falsehood. The style of writing is perfect, likewise the title of the book. The personality of each character was unique and befitting. But I have reservations about some contradictions in the storyline. When a thing is said, it isn't the same the next time. An instance was the story of Philip not meeting Fiona until she came to Crossfield. There are a few other examples. Apart from this, I disliked nothing about the book.

Overall, I will rate The Hoyden and the Rake 4 out of 4 stars. It was professionally edited. This book is a wonderful romance book. It is not only for entertainment purposes but to inform readers of the true meaning of love, especially the love that can survive the test of time and beat the worst of storms. Their love is not only admirable but something that one should emulate. I recommend this to those that do not believe in true love. This book would inform you better. Romance genre lovers are not left out too. The sexual contents were moderate, and readers below 16 can read it.

The Hoyden and the Rake
View: on Bookshelves
Reading_Jack
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reading-jack.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush

Post by Reading_Jack »

The story sounds interesting and I love the themes of the novels. thanks for an excellent review.
cutemami
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cutemami.html
Latest Review: Without Redemption by David Griffith

Post by cutemami »

Fiona and Phillip’s story seems like one I would enjoy reading about. I want to no more about those characters.
Nwankwo GC
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwankwo-gc.html
Latest Review: The Chosen by Brandy Marks

Post by Nwankwo GC »

Romance fiction isn't really my thing but I'm sure fans of the genre will appreciate this one. Great review.
Blessing Odii
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-odii.html
Latest Review: The Proximity of Stars by Benedict Stuart

Post by Blessing Odii »

I love romance books. This is a perfect read for me.
Cassie Lyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cassie-lyn.html
Latest Review: “Wisdom Of The Men” by Clint Arthur

Post by Cassie Lyn »

Great review. I love a great book with strong female characters, and Fiona seems like that. Really interested to find out if Fiona and Phillip got their happily ever after.
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

This is an apt book for a brain like mine. Thanks for the review.
Okeoma Godwin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okeoma-godwin.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Okeoma Godwin »

I love the review. Creates in mind a story of a perfect romance.
Perfectok05
Currently Reading: Three Weeks With Lady X
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-perfectok05.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Perfectok05 »

The book cover was what made me interested in this review. I love historical romance and I will like to read the story of Fiona and Phillip. Good review
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

Could anyone really balance the past, present, and future?

This seems like a great read. Thank you for the review.
Okeoma Godwin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okeoma-godwin.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Okeoma Godwin »

This review is interesting and captivating. Gives life to the book, even before one reads it.
Pearlojo1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Pearlojo1 »

Thanks for the beautiful review. Especially the last bit about the sexual contents being mild. I'm definitely looking forward to reading the book now.
Winterlovestoread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winterlovestoread.html
Latest Review: The Vine by Adria L. Dunn

Post by Winterlovestoread »

Typically I would not endulge in the typical "Enemies to Lovers" Cliche but this story had it's merits. It definitely strayed from typical romantic stereotypes
D Adebayo
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-d-adebayo.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by D Adebayo »

Absolutely loved it, I am a huge fan of historical romance and this book was top tier :D :D
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is an amazing romantic historical fiction novel highlighting love, friendship, adventure, life challenges, overcoming shortcomings, and suspense. The boo is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has an inciteful OnlineBookClub review. Congrats on the BOTD selection.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”