Review of The White Coat Effect

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: In It Together
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 743
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: All You'll Never Be (Kindle Edition) by E. L. Neve

Review of The White Coat Effect

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The White Coat Effect" by L.B. Wells.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The White Coat Effect by L.B. Wells is a romance novel about a young Jewish woman who studies to become a doctor. Rory’s beautiful mother and her affluent doctor father made her feel inferior as she was growing up. Although they moved into a museum-like home when she was a teenager, her mother constantly scolded her for touching things. Up to her teenage years, Rory had been rejected by any boys she fantasized about because of her egg-shaped figure. Her mother always told her that she was the type of girl who survived by using her brains and not one who survived by being taken care of because of her beauty. Rory’s mother told her she needed to become a doctor, gain material wealth, have a happy Jewish family lifestyle, and become part of high society. In her first clinical year in medical school at City Hospital in Westport, Rory meets an Arabian named Amir Hadid. Can they combine their different religions and cultures? Will their parents accept them? Does Rory succeed in medical school?

L.B. Wells has done a fantastic job of telling this story from Rory’s perspective and taking her from being a weak, introverted, self-absorbed child to a strong woman. All of the characters in the book are fully developed and can be easily visualized in their settings. For example, one of the patients Rory encountered during her rotation in a psychiatric hospital claimed that she could see huge purple hickeys on her neck. I laughed when Rory decided that all surgeons had violent tendencies that they repressed and turned into a desire to help people and not kill them. I enjoyed reading about the different patients Rory and her friends encountered while doing their hospital rotations.

There are only a couple of negative aspects to this book. There was one instance where text in Spanish did not have a clear interpretation following it. However, this did not distract from my reading pleasure. I did feel that there is some bias against men in this book as they were portrayed as chauvinistic, powerful, and sexist.

Overall, this is an enjoyable book that will make you cringe and laugh at the same time. I feel the book has been edited by a professional editor as there were only a few errors that could have been easily overlooked. I have no reason not to give this book 4 out of 4 stars.

The sexual content and non-borderline profanity make this book appropriate for mature adult readers who enjoy romance novels. Readers interested in medical school will enjoy the book as well, as the author discusses some of the issues medical students encounter doing rotations through the different medical fields.

The White Coat Effect
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
Becca Olsson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becca-olsson.html
Latest Review: Animal Village by Nelda LaTeef

Post by Becca Olsson »

It sounds like this book has great character development. I’d love to read about Rory growing up to be a strong woman. Thanks for the great review
Astral Magi
Favorite Book: Name of the Wind
Currently Reading: Crossroads
Bookshelf Size: 523
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-astral-magi.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Astral Magi »

The child that becomes a strong woman sounds like a great inspiration to the younger generation. Thank you for the insightful review.
🕉Be Here Now⌛
Lia Swiss
Favorite Book: The Selection
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akeilia-lewis.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lia Swiss »

This book seems like is has a journey worth following might even serve to be inspiring to women in the medical field
Mimidee Vanilly
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimidee-vanilly.html
Latest Review: The Mystery Of Flight 2222 by Thomas Neviaser

Post by Mimidee Vanilly »

I think this book is quite interesting with the jewish familly backgroud made this romance story has different perspective. And your review attracts me to read this book. Awesome.
IamJc_Bembo12
Currently Reading: Pearl River Mansion
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamjc-bembo12.html
Latest Review: Bama Boy by Bobby Morrison

Post by IamJc_Bembo12 »

Although I’m not into romance, I find this review very explicit and honest. Those who are into perusing romance books may find this very interesting and a great of a time commitment. Thanks for this review!
Ntombifuthi Londi
Currently Reading: The Legacy of Job's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ntombifuthi-londi.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Ntombifuthi Londi »

Rory's mother made a stern statement to her daughter. I'm curious if Rory met a spouse who would look after her, as well as if she completed medical school or pursued her other undiscovered loves. Great review
Yin Hikari
Currently Reading: The Invisible Life Of Addie La Rue
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yin-hikari.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by Yin Hikari »

I'm very curious about relationships of two people with different religion and culture. Maybe this book will gives me insights about that. I am also intrigued to know if Rory's parents will accept their relationship. Thank you for the review!
Last edited by Yin Hikari on 09 Sep 2021, 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
Nkgchidimma080
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nkgchidimma080.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Nkgchidimma080 »

I love the part where the reviewer wrote”Lory took her out from being introverted,weak,self absorbed child,to being a strong woman,“it’s inspiring and motivational,nice review.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I love romance novels and this one seems to have good character development. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Iqra Rafiq 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iqra-rafiq-1.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere

Post by Iqra Rafiq 1 »

I can relate to this book, as I'm a doctor and when I entered medicinal college I met a guy, though our religion is the same we both are from different places, not a romance lover. if I got a chance to read this one. I will definitely read this one. thank you for the review.
Edit_or
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-edit-or.html
Latest Review: Always Strive to Be a Better You by Pete Hall

Post by Edit_or »

Rory sounds like an emotionally strong lady. Think I’ll love to follow the book. Good review
Gabriella1997
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabriella1997.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Gabriella1997 »

It's inspiring that lory was able to change from being emotionally weak to being a strong woman,beautiful review.
Chinaza Nnabuenyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chinaza-nnabuenyi.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chinaza Nnabuenyi »

This book will be interesting to read. The characters are surely going to play great roles in this novel. Great review!
Regard003
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regard003.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Regard003 »

I'm interested in this book. Your review is captivating

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”