Review of The Elephant Tooth of '95

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Review of The Elephant Tooth of '95

Post by Alice Heritage »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elephant Tooth of '95" by Rana Baydoun.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

[Note: This is a re-review of an updated version of a book I previously reviewed.]

The song "I'm Too Sexy" by Right Said Fred might remind you of an advert, or if you're old enough, it might sweep you back to the early 1990s.

This is the era when we meet Noor Beyrouti, the accident-prone heroine of the novel The Elephant Tooth of '95: A Story of Family, Romance, and New Beginnings by Rana Baydoun. The story begins when Noor has just completed her studies in food technology and nutrition at the American University of Beirut, Lebanon. In the words of the Right Said Fred song, Noor might be too sexy for her car, but it's as calamitous as she is. In one of this book's many humorous scenes, water squirts out of the dashboard, drenching her and a friend she'd wanted to give a lift to on a rainy day.

We stumble along beside Noor as she lands her first job as a sales representative at a family company. She soon catches the eye of handsome co-worker Toni, but have any other women noticed his charms? She admires the German scenes in her supervisor's office - will her dream business trip to Germany ever materialize? She has to start by finding her way to the quaintly named Elephant's Tooth district in a part of Beirut she would never have gone to before the Lebanese Civil War ended in 1990.

The aftermath of the war and the country's more ancient history are important themes of this book, which also depicts Lebanese culture vividly. One of its most enjoyable aspects is its sensual details, like the taste of figs from a tree in Noor's grandparents' garden or the putrid smell of the uncleaned lift shaft in her building. Most significantly, this book has a soundtrack. We hear the characters' Arabic and French speech, traditional wedding music, and music in harmony with the mood of every chapter - each has its own theme tune.

The power of the music took me under Noor's skin as I listened to the Spotify playlist of the pieces for each chapter, a truly excellent feature. It's an eclectic mix covering a wide range of emotions, for this book also includes its share of sad scenes. The author considerately flags these! It's heartening to see Noor grow and change through various experiences.

When I reviewed the first version, I found the ending a little abrupt. I'm gratified to report that the author has resolved this. She has also corrected the errors I noted. The book is written in a light, conversational style, and while the action has its highs and lows, this is a feel-good read overall. This would appeal to anyone who enjoys personal accounts of everyday experiences, especially those coloured by a distinctive cultural and historical setting, as they are in this book. It could make for good beach reading. Because of the memoir style, some anecdotes and characters are included that do not relate to the core themes, so it's a little scrappy in places because of that. You might not favour this aspect if that's something you dislike about memoirs. This is only a minor negative point, however. As it is an easy and compelling read with vivid sensual descriptions and emotional resonance, this book earns four out of four stars. Chance a ride in Noor's cranky car and turn up the soundtrack as you travel through post-war Lebanon and beyond.

The Elephant Tooth of '95
View: on Bookshelves
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Am I glad my trusty car hasn't drenched me yet! I am so tempted to read this one. Thanks, Alice, for putting a smile on my weary face ๐Ÿ™€.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Miriam Molina wrote: โ†‘30 Jul 2021, 01:52 Am I glad my trusty car hasn't drenched me yet! I am so tempted to read this one. Thanks, Alice, for putting a smile on my weary face ๐Ÿ™€.
Glad I made you smile. The book's quite a journey! Thank you for stopping by.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

Your writing is superb. I love the vivid descriptions you put in your review, it really colours the imagination. A book about an accident-prone woman, a strange little car and a setting that hasn't been over-explored in literature, coupled with the humour and romance...I'm sold on this book and I'll make plans to read it. Thank you for your entertaining review and I hope you have a lovely day.
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

After the first paragraph, I read your lovely review with "I'm Too Sexy" ringing in my head. This book seems like a totally captivating experience. I especially like that it has a soundtrack!

And now, Iโ€™m off to YouTube to watch the Right Said Fred video.
:balloon: :gift:
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Elisa Joy Ocasla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elisa-joy-ocasla.html
Latest Review: Speech! by Simon Prentis

Post by Elisa Joy Ocasla »

As you said, some anecdotes and characters are do not relate to the core themes, so I may pass on this one. However, you did a great review!

Return to โ€œRomance and Erotic Booksโ€