Review of Fallen Hero

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Standor5865
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-standor5865.html
Latest Review: The 2021 Chronicles by A Glenn Rose

Review of Fallen Hero

Post by Standor5865 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fallen Hero" by G. L. Vernon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Set in the early 1900s, just at the end of World War I, Fallen Hero by G. L. Vernon is a fiction story that centers around Lieutenant Sep Breitner, who, on the brink of death, was saved by English soldiers and taken to the British Army 13th General Field Hospital. Fractured ribs, spinal damage, and the loss of his right leg, among other things, did not bode well for a bright future. Nevertheless, he would meet Nurse Susan Jones, one of his caregivers at the hospital, and they would experience a deep connection. There are a lot to consider and hurdles to cross, however, especially with the differences in their origin and career paths. Will their relationship survive against all odds?

G. L. Vernon has done a brilliant job in exploring an interesting period in history through Sep's story. The effects of the violence in the war are also explored as we watch Sep struggle with the losses he endured, how his character changes, and the PTSD he developed. The author's focus on dishing out detailed descriptions of every experience from the very first chapter presents one of the main highlights of the novel, as we are fully immersed in the main character's horrible experiences, bask in his joyful moments, and experience the same fear he endures in the face of uncertainty.

"A black ball of panic appeared from nowhere and a wave of dread washed through Sep. The black ball seethed with nightmarish images of screaming men, bloody body parts, explosions, stabbings, mud, snow, choking smoke... and death. Broken bodies were piled up over a barbed-wire fence and spread-eagled across trench parapets. He felt his heart constrict. A cold sweat covered him. His clenched fists gripped the sheet as he fought to stem his terror." - Page 18.

Susan encourages Sep to explore writing his story as a way to get to know him better, so we are entertained by two stories running concurrently: one following Sep's recovery and relationship and the other taking a deep dive into his childhood, family, and influences. The story progresses at a steady pace, giving readers enough time to understand and connect with each aspect of the character's story.

Furthermore, the story analyzes the rigid expectations from women in those days that revolved around "Kinder, Küche, Kirche" (children, kitchen, church). It was inspiring seeing some of the supporting female characters push beyond the boundaries of belittling societal expectations.

Fallen Hero is a professionally edited book since I found just two minor errors while reading. I cannot think of anything I dislike about this novel. The story is engaging and suspenseful with thoughtfully developed characters. Therefore, I rate this book four out of four. If you enjoy romance and historical fiction novels, this is not a book you will want to miss out on.

Fallen Hero
View: on Bookshelves
Maliha Naveed
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Tales from the Grey Area
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maliha-naveed.html
Latest Review: Are You Love Smart or Love Stupid by Dr. Rachel Sims

Post by Maliha Naveed »

Though love stories with the background of love are a little cliched but the idea of two stories going on parallel doesn't seem bad.
Mayur Arjune
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mayur-arjune.html
Latest Review: The Pro-Achievement Principle by Dr. Deborah Bright

Post by Mayur Arjune »

The review is impressive, the way it has pictured love scene is good. The collection of love stories I love reading.
Faith - Benny Any
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faith-benny-any.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Faith - Benny Any »

This is an interesting read. Lieutenant Sep Breitner really passed through a lot. I am so inquisitive to know if he and the caregiver later fell in love.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

The Lieutenant indeed faced a myriad of challenges. This is a good review. Well done.
Jacques Mwashuma
Currently Reading: Mark Victor Hansen, Relentless
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacques-mwashuma.html
Latest Review: Doyle's Law by Sam Roberts

Post by Jacques Mwashuma »

A classical love story, not my cup of tea but still sounds amazing. This review is great work. :tiphat:
If the heart is clear, it doesn't matter if there's a storm brewing in the sky.

- Bing Xin.
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

Two stories running simultaneously is appealing. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I would definitely want to know more about this relationship having two people of entirely different origins. Excellent Review!
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

War stories are always triggering for me after I lost a dear one. Wish I could overcome my fears and read this. Notwithstanding, this was a great review.
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

Sep has really been through a lot. I would love to see how he and Susan deal with this. Thanks for the review.
Theana De lima Araujo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theana-d.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Theana De lima Araujo »

I like the idea of a story within a story these sorts of books always prove to be interesting. The quote you included is appreciated as it gives me a clue of the author's writing style. I gather that this will be a heart-wrenching read about a man finding new life after war. It's too heavy for me right now. Thank you for the superb review, have a lovely day.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”