Review of There's Always Tomorrow

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ahbed Nadir
Currently Reading: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahbed-nadir.html
Latest Review: There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr

Review of There's Always Tomorrow

Post by Ahbed Nadir »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "There's Always Tomorrow" by Jim Carr.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There's Always Tomorrow is a fictional adventure novel written by author Jim Carr. This book follows the life of a young and brilliant mathematician named Sommer Kappel, who studied at the McGill University in the care of her German parents, Jacob and Wilfrieda Kappel, until she received an invitation that would change her life forever. A great German mathematician, Professor Albrecht Frederich, had invited her to study mathematics under him at Bonn University for two years. Excited to learn from this great man and visit her motherland, she jumped at the opportunity and immediately began preparations to travel to Germany. Amid these preparations, she was contacted by a strange man named Brookfield, who asked to see her before her departure. Upon arriving at his office, she discovered to her surprise, that Brookfield was the head of a spy organization that wanted to recruit her to spy for them in Germany. Confused and uncomfortable with the idea, she turned down the offer as she felt the turmoil occurring in Germany did not concern her and would not reach her in the university.

Upon her arrival in Germany, Sommer and Professor Albrecht hit it off quickly, and she soon became the star student of his class. As her academic life blossomed, so also did her romantic adventures. She met and fell in love with a young German student, and for a time, all was bliss. Unfortunately, Germany's fanatical obsession with Adolf Hitler and his Nazi beliefs had reached a fever pitch, and no one was safe from the hand of the Gestapo or the secret police. During this increasing violence, Sommer discovered that she was pregnant, and to add to her problems; her boyfriend had decided to join the Nazi army. Unable to bear these awful events, she fled back to Canada to stay with her parents. After delivering the baby, she found that she could not simply sit still and do nothing about the innocent people suffering in Germany. She went back to Brookfield and offered her services as a spy. After receiving brief training, she was planted in Germany under the supervision of Professor Albrecht, who was working for the Fuhrer in a top-secret mission to create a devastating weapon. So did her life of espionage and danger begin as Sommer fought against the German machine. This is There's Always Tomorrow by Jim Carr.

Speaking plainly, I must describe There's Always Tomorrow as a thrilling page-turner. I was unable to put it down, and the pages seemed to fly as I consumed the compelling tale of Sommer's life. I have always enjoyed spy fiction, so I had high hopes for this, and I can say that it most certainly did not disappoint. I liked the attention to detail the author showed in each one of his characters, as all of them were well described with sufficient detail that brought them to life in the reader's eyes. They each had emotions, wants, and needs, and they shone all through the text. I rooted for Sommer when she decided to become a spy and feared for her life when the Gestapo hounded her. I laughed with her and smiled as she made unexpected bonds and found new friends as well as old ones. I enjoyed her character development as she changed from an apathetic, selfish person who couldn't be bothered by the Nazis and their actions against the Jews to someone violently fighting to bring them down and rescue her country from the grip of Hitler.

I immensely enjoyed the insight into Germany during the early stages of World War II. The author demonstrated the zeal with which German citizens believed in Hitler's message of superiority to restore Germany to previous greatness. Jim showed how citizens that spoke against the mistreatment of Jews were quickly and quietly arrested on some trumped-up charge and killed, all to ensure compliance all through the land. It was painful to see how quickly power corrupts when placed in the wrong hands. I learned a lot about Germany as a country and its people and how, despite the rising tide of hate and bigotry in the country, there were still a few people who stood firm for peace and equality. The author passed a message saying that the next day will always come, and so one should keep pushing no matter how dark it is. This was demonstrated exceptionally in the case of Sommer, as, despite all her trials and tribulations, she stood firm and continued to supply information and data to the Freedom Fighters abroad.

There was nothing I disliked about this book as it was through and through a masterpiece. It was very well edited, and I found no errors in the text. I rate There's Always Tomorrow 4 out of 4 stars as I enjoyed it immensely. I would recommend this to people interested in spy fiction or books about World War II.

There's Always Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves
"It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends"- Albus Dumbledore
Benaron
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-benaron.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by Benaron »

This sounds like a must-read for people interested in fictional/nonfictional crime books. Excellent review and I'm glad you enjoyed it!
The frant1c reader
Favorite Book: Crime and Punshment
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-frant1c-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by The frant1c reader »

A good fictional novel set in the world war 2 era. Sounds interesting. Thank you for such a well written review! :D
What do you despise? By this you are truly known....
~Dune.
Reader Chavez
Currently Reading: Jirvania
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader-chavez.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reader Chavez »

I'm a fan of fictional stories, especially when they take place in real moments such as world war 2. Love the review! I'll definitely be reading this book.
Ifeanyi victor 2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ifeanyi victor 2 »

It never to easy to fight a battle in even at your own life at stack
k_madhu_jha
Currently Reading: There's a Rooster in My Bathroom!
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-madhu-jha.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by k_madhu_jha »

Your review made me to add this book in my shelf. I love spy books. And being a spy woman is just lovely and powerful to read. Thanku for your amazing reviews
Aarti Jha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aarti-jha.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Aarti Jha »

A thriller spy fiction set in the era of world war 2, seems interesting. Well-written review.
RHD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhd.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by RHD »

WWII stories are just something else. Sommer also seems like quite the strong female character. Great review, Ahbed Nabir 👌

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”