Erotica romance characters with pained backgrounds

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
TasiWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tasiwin.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Re: Erotica romance characters with pained backgrounds

Post by TasiWin »

TJsmama wrote: 23 May 2014, 20:34 Ooh I love a hero with a tragic past! But only if done right. The recurring theme I'm seeing in erotica with tortured heroes seem to be authors using hero's past as an excuse to treat the heroine like crap or for leaving her, which I find infuriating and quite frankly, boring.

I've never read Fifty Shades, but I've read CJ Roberts' Dark Duet series which touches on similar themes : BDSM relationship between a powerful man with a heartbreakingly tragic past and a naive young woman. DD was my foray into erotica and holy crap, I couldn't read anything "vanilla" for an entire year afterwards. The hero in DD is actually more of an anti-hero but he does redeem himself by the second book.
You have just made me a fan. I will be looking for the series
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

TJsmama wrote: 23 May 2014, 20:34 Ooh I love a hero with a tragic past! But only if done right. The recurring theme I'm seeing in erotica with tortured heroes seem to be authors using hero's past as an excuse to treat the heroine like crap or for leaving her, which I find infuriating and quite frankly, boring.

I've never read Fifty Shades, but I've read CJ Roberts' Dark Duet series which touches on similar themes : BDSM relationship between a powerful man with a heartbreakingly tragic past and a naive young woman. DD was my foray into erotica and holy crap, I couldn't read anything "vanilla" for an entire year afterwards. The hero in DD is actually more of an anti-hero but he does redeem himself by the second book.
I will be looking for this series, I haven't had a chance any of 5he author's books
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

I think it sets a bad precedent for the not to sort their issues and use his past as an excuse to treat his partner poorly
TasiWin
Currently Reading:

Post by TasiWin »

lisalynn wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 11:17 Beware. In real life, you can't change him. Or heal him. Or make him a better person. That's the fun stuff of fantasy.
I agree. it makes for a really enjoyable time, where everything just somehow works out in the end
Ashna Tibrewal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashna-tibrewal.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by Ashna Tibrewal »

Fifty Shades Of Grey Series had the most pained mc.
Kendal Low
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: As Good As Dead
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kendal-low.html
Latest Review: Ten Percent by D.L. Bruin

Post by Kendal Low »

I don't think it is overrated at all. In fact, I believe that a "pained past" usually makes for a very complex character which adds immense intrigue to a book. So I am definitely all for the difficult past!

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”