Official Review: Dervish Red by Milo Hays

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bertha Jackson
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Book: Launchpad Republic: America's Entrepreneurial Edge and Why It Matters
Currently Reading: Life at the Precipice
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bertha-jackson.html
Latest Review: Embrace Your Age by JAMES B. FLAHERTY ... An octogenarian with a bright future.

Official Review: Dervish Red by Milo Hays

Post by Bertha Jackson »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dervish Red" by Milo Hays.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dervish Red by Milo Hays is a romance novel about two people from opposite lifestyles who meet later in life. Fifty-year-old Pittsburg suburban Rowan Delaney decides to go on a road trip into the country. In Legend, Pennsylvania, needing to use a restroom, he stops at the only location available within 15 miles according to his GPS, the Red Sombrero Winery, a country winery located deep in the woods. Marnie, the bartender, introduces him to Janis and serves him some of the local wine. He wakes up the following morning hungover in Janis's trailer. Rowan, a banker, has been separated from his wife for over a year. Marnie has been divorced for two years and will soon turn 50. Marnie and Rowan are instantly attracted to each other. He is her superman Clark Kent to her Lois Lane. He is rich, and she is struggling to keep her business afloat financially. He wears designer suits, and she wears jeans. Can they overcome their differences? Can they merge their two cultures? You will need to read the book to find out.

Milo Hays has done a fantastic job describing the characters and the demographics surrounding them. The reader can easily visualize each of the characters and their surroundings. I could envision the rich people in designer clothes and expensive vehicles; and the local people in their jeans, flannel shirts, and trucks. I could see the paintings on the winery walls, the bar and cabin's dinginess, and the beautiful woods and mountains of the landscaping. The author then switches the visualization to the sterileness and wealth of the city and Rowan's condo. The book is fast-paced and action-packed, which makes it a page-turner from beginning to end.

The only thing I disliked about the book is that a professional editor has not edited it. The text is full of distracting errors. The author has left out words, has unnecessary words, has improper use of pronouns (e.g., him for her and vice versa), and other grammatical errors throughout the book.

I thought about giving this book two stars due to the number of errors but decided against it because I enjoyed reading it. Overall, the book's smooth flow and interesting plot deserve 3 out of 4 stars. If a professional editor had edited the book, it would have deserved four stars.

I recommend this book to adults who enjoy romance novels. The book is not appropriate for younger readers because of the non-borderline profanity that the book contains. Middle age readers will enjoy reading a book revolving around romance.

Dervish Red
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bertha R. Jackson :D
Book Reviewer at OnlineBookClub.org
sharon titus
Currently Reading: Her Eyes Underwater
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon-titus.html
Latest Review: My Only Sunshine by Lou Dischler

Post by sharon titus »

The story sounds intriguing. I would love to see the romance develop between contrasting characters. Great review. Thank you for your hard work.
Michael Jerry_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaeljerry309.html
Latest Review: A Big Blue Boat by Susea Spray

Post by Michael Jerry_ »

I was attracted to this book by it’s book cover and I thought it was going to be comedy till I read this review
I think this is another good one regardless
Marcel Cantu
Currently Reading: Under Another Sun
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marcel-cantu.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Marcel Cantu »

This seems like a compelling read, I enjoyed reading your review. Thank you for your summary and honest feedback.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”