Official Review: Laird and Lillian by Marlette Bess

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Faithy_Goody_Star
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithy-star.html
Latest Review: Autism: One Grandparent's Roadmap by Geoffrey Robinson

Official Review: Laird and Lillian by Marlette Bess

Post by Faithy_Goody_Star »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Laird and Lillian" by Marlette Bess.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

At a point in one’s life, one may experience a love so pure and selfless that such a person may wonder if they even deserve it. This was somewhat the case of Lillian (Lilly) in Laird and Lillian by Marlette Bess. This book is a romance novel that tells the love story of two adults in a heterosexual relationship and whose love story commenced from an encounter on a ship. Laird had just finished research in a faraway country. During his trip home, he met Lilly on the ship, and this singular encounter soon blossomed into a relationship where both loved and supported each other, laid bare their fears and vulnerabilities, and shared their wins and roadblocks. Were they always willing to do these? Was their time together all a bed of roses?

The author led the reader into the life of these characters. Lillian is a stunning, financially buoyant young lady whose wealth largely arose from her inheritance. She was also a drug addict, although the circumstances of this are quite complicated. Laird, a young man with somewhat complex family issues, is left with the choice of seeing this weakness through with her and loving her or going for the opposite. Their struggles may play a role in enhancing their bond.

I found a plethora of characters quite likable, but Millie was my favorite because she was the one that made me laugh out loud several times. I loved the incorporation of friends and family into the subject of love. As much as the book revolved around a couple, it wasn’t just about them, and this gave the book life and made it less monotonous. I also appreciated the way the author depicted the love story between Lilly and Laird, as it made me intrigued by the idea of love. Furthermore, I loved that the book didn’t just center on their romantic life alone, as the author introduced their work life, family life, and struggles. However, herein lies part of my grouse for this book, as the struggles of a character became a tad too much and exhausting to read. This is merely a personal bias and has no bearing on my rating of this book.

Considering that the storyline of this book was quite interesting, it was disheartening to come across distracting grammatical and punctuation errors. Apparently, this book needs to be meticulously edited by a professional editor. Therefore, I’m deducting just a star and giving it a rating of three out of four stars.

People who appreciate love stories will find this book appealing, and I recommend it to them.

Laird and Lillian
View: on Bookshelves
Petruschka1
Currently Reading: India in Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-petruschka1.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by Petruschka1 »

Lillian and Laird support each other through the ups and downs of life, which must be challenging considering her history of drug addiction. It will be interesting to see, whether love can overcome their struggles.
Precious Naiti
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-precious-naiti.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Precious Naiti »

Thank you for your review. This book seems like something i would enjoy reading.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”