Official Review: Rendezvous in Paradise by Annick Weilche

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Official Review: Rendezvous in Paradise by Annick Weilche

Post by JKO »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rendezvous in Paradise" by Annick Weilche.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In light of the untraceable activities of a suspected drug ring on Paradise Island, Detective Jérôme Richard, an undercover INTERPOL agent, is sent to the island to help with the investigation. As a cover, he was recently appointed as the senior detective in the police headquarters on the island’s capital. However, all leads seem to steer towards dead-ends, and the drug ring, led by Alain Marchand, always appears to be steps ahead.

Meanwhile, Mandy has recently won a vacation to the Tropical Island Paradise, located on the island. She is excited and makes her way to the island in hopes that she finds the love of her life. Nevertheless, on her first day on the beach, her purse gets stolen, and Detective Jérôme is invited to conduct investigations. When the detective meets with Mandy, they make a special connection. However, Jérôme soon finds out that the thief has interesting connections with the drug ring, and he plans to use the thief to infiltrate them. Yet, with a possible romantic relationship brewing between him and Mandy, Jérôme must choose between two seemingly divergent paths. Does he choose love or his job? Rendezvous in Paradise by Annick Weilche is the book to read!

In terms of what I like about the book, it is always a joy to read novels like these, where the author successfully integrates several themes into an excellent plot. The writer explores themes of love, betrayal, and more throughout the novel in a way that would excite every reader. I like how the writer introduces an air of uncertainty in the story, especially with the connection between the detective and Mandy. While I was rooting for a romantic relationship between them, I was wary of the fact that it could put Mandy in danger and the investigation in jeopardy. That said, the character development was great, mostly for the main characters, even though I expected to read more about Marchand's father, given the role his bastard son had to play in the overall story. Maybe the writer sheds more light on certain characters in the sequel.

Another glaring positive about this novel is the pacing. The frequent dialogue between the characters ensured that the story was fast-paced. Also, the volume is easy to read, given the simple language the author employed to tell the story. Additionally, I love the way the author portrays locations, especially when the writer depicted some of the spots Mandy visits during her holiday on the island. I often felt like I was there in person because of the author’s detailed descriptive style.

The only thing I don’t like about the book is how sloppy the “bad guys” seem to be as the story progresses. I found it a bit unrealistic, given that they were the same group of people that previously covered their tracks excellently to the extent that the detective didn’t have any previous success with the investigation. For example, the way the drug ring recruited the mole was very uncharacteristic of a drug ring. They recruited him without putting him under the microscope.

Nonetheless, this book is a good read, and I look forward to seeing how it all plays out in the next book. Moreover, this publication is exceptionally edited, as I didn’t notice any errors throughout the text. I rate Rendezvous in Paradise 3 out of 4 stars. The one-star deduction is a result of the unrealism I found with the story at times. Readers that are interested in detective books filled with romance, action, and mystery would enjoy this book. I have to note that there some instances of the use of profane words. Happy reading!

Rendezvous in Paradise
View: on Bookshelves
Praise GodWord
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 172
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-godword.html
Latest Review: Retirement Planning by William C. Evergreen

Post by Praise GodWord »

My preference is not linked to the crime detective novels. They keep me tensed. But I liked this review.
nwaobifrancesca
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaobifrancesca.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by nwaobifrancesca »

I'm always eager to read crime novels especially when they have a blend of romance. Thanks for your honest review.
Victoria Copsey
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoria-copsey.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Victoria Copsey »

Sounds like an interesting read and I like that it is fast-paced. I do, however, get annoyed when the villains are poorly written - everyone loves a good villain, not one that serves little purpose. Great review though!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I love the fact that the storyline crosses genres. If done well, mixing crime and romance into a storyline can make for a highly engaging read. Of course, a book with well-developed characters will always win me over. Thanks for the lovely review.
Drianie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drianie.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Drianie »

This fast-paced crime novel, with its well-developed characters and interesting plot, seems like a must-read. The romance is a bonus that I'll enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation! I enjoyed reading your detailed review!
anna-augustynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-augustynn.html
Latest Review: The Great Awakening by Arthur F Seymour

Post by anna-augustynn »

I enjoyed your review and good expression on what do you think about negative aspects! Thanks.
Excel 2021
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excel-2021.html
Latest Review: Trauma by Cynthia Fridsma

Post by Excel 2021 »

great review. I like that you pointed out grey areas for the author too.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”