Official Review: The Neither Side of Never by DaggerDirk

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Official Review: The Neither Side of Never by DaggerDirk

Post by Sam Ibeh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Neither Side of Never" by DaggerDirk.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Our experiences determine how we see the world and the enjoyment we get out of it. When negative experiences have characterized our lives, we can only expect a negative outcome for ourselves. But when we suddenly come across a good thing, it's even more painful to have it taken away from us.

In The Neither Side of Never by Dagger Dirk, Greg Hardy, formerly Luke Grant, lived a dangerous life. He placed himself in many death-defying situations when his only reason to live was taken away, yet he survived for years. His shooting skill, his ability to get out of tricky situations, and his terse personality made him something of a legend among the people he worked with. However, his routine existence was soon disrupted by the arrival of Jennifer. His reputation for avoiding the opposite sex got to her, and she experienced it for herself as they began to work together. He remained an enigma to her, and she set out to find out all she could about Greg and possibly be the catalyst for his return to intimacy with the opposite sex.

As time went on, Greg found that what he most wanted was always within his reach and that life might be worth living. As everything slowly came together, the illusion of peace was blown apart. Would the pieces ever come together again?

I enjoyed reading this book. I found the storyline very unique and captivating, and I remained glued to it until the end. The author had a way of capturing my attention and arousing my curiosity, and the way the story was narrated made it an extremely enjoyable reading experience.

The level of suspense in this book added to its allure. The author did not write with extreme emotion, nor was the suspense heart-racing or intense, but his cool writing style was still able to stir up my emotions. I got angry with the characters, I was shocked at some of the scenes, and I was nearly moved to tears at others. I cheered when there was a victory, felt bad when there was a defeat, and lived out this story alongside the characters. The author's writing was so realistic, and his military career came to bear in this book. He spared no detail to enable me to understand what was going on but still managed to maintain that suspense factor and kept me asking, "What will happen next?" This was my favorite part of the book.

I loved the character development. The characters were realistic and distinctive. In most cases, they knew and accepted their flaws and were willing to make the most of them. None was projected as perfect. The author allowed me to follow their journeys and watch as they attempted to learn and heal from their various ordeals. The characters were likable, and many readers would be able to relate to them. I started out disliking Jennifer for her intrusive, nosy, and presumptuous behavior. However, I respected her role and how those qualities became necessary in the grand scheme.

The story development was a bit of a curve. It started fast, really slowed down at the middle, and picked up again towards the end. Also, the dialogues between the characters were almost similar throughout the book. Apart from the names mentioned and the dialogue's content, the conversations carried out in the book could have been between the same two people. There were many technical languages used that would be more familiar to military personnel, engineers, and people involved in politics. Finally, I found several errors in the book and recommend another round of editing for it. The plethora of errors was my least favorite thing about the book, as the errors were distracting.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars, and I recommend it to anybody who enjoys a unconventional, well-written story. It won’t be suitable for children due to the book’s sexual content.

The Neither Side of Never
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

When a person changes his name, it can only be because they are running away from something. I wonder what Greg Hardy's character was like and how different it was to Luke Grant. Great review Sam!
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Yvonne Monique
Favorite Book: To Sleep in a Sea of Stars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yvonne-monique.html
Latest Review: Healing Depression by C. Daley

Post by Yvonne Monique »

This sounds indeed as a unique plot. It would be great to find out whether the protagonist will be able to find happiness at last.
Zac_Casibua
Favorite Author: Jude Deveraux
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zac-casibua.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter
fav_author_id: 5895

Post by Zac_Casibua »

The compilation of the plot and reviews on this post is excellent! It didn't just give a reader a grasp on what is the story all about, but it was able to entice the curiosity of the reader to the point that it will not spoil the twist of the story. Well done Sam!
An_Jennifer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by An_Jennifer »

A perfect story is a story which contains all of the emotions together. After reading the review i think i should give it a try. Fantastic review sam.
Daisy Deeh
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey
Bookshelf Size: 109

Post by Daisy Deeh »

After reading the review ,i'll give it a try. your review is flowing and well detailed keep up
Zaeda Amrin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaeda-amrin.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by Zaeda Amrin »

“His only reason to live was taken away.” Wow, what a statement! Leaves me wondering what happened to this guy... I might have to give this book a try! Thanks for the detailed review!
Liumei
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Liumei »

From your review, it already makes me excited. It makes me curious about what happened to Greg. I want to read this book.
Goodness C N
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-goodness-c-n.html
Latest Review: Love Yourself & Lose Weight: The Success Story of Self Love by Katie Lips

Post by Goodness C N »

I love books with interesting storylines and plot development. Glad this book is part of it. Great review here
Jennifer Garcia 555
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-garcia-555.html
Latest Review: Somebody’s Watching You by Robin D'Amato

Post by Jennifer Garcia 555 »

'Our experiences determine how we see the world and the enjoyment we get out of it."

The first line of your review drew me in. It is such a true statement. A single person entering someone's life can have such a huge impact on perspective and priorities. This sounds like a good read. Thank you for your insightful review.
“Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” — L. M. Montgomery
Uzo_Reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzo-reviews.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

Post by Uzo_Reviews »

Captivating storylines like this one are hard to come by. I'm glad you enjoy it and could come up with a great review.
onyii_review
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyii-review.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by onyii_review »

I think this is a book that talks about mental health. Would love to check it out. Thanks for the review.
Uzzy_Reviews
Tarie07
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarie07.html
Latest Review: Korian: Ark of the Fallen King by Giorgio Garofalo

Post by Tarie07 »

I have to admit the author had me at the title itself. This sounds live a very interesting book. I would love to read it. Thanks for the great review.
The fabulous
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-fabulous.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by The fabulous »

It's painful when something or someone we hold dear is being taken away from us. Thanks for the review.
GNerd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gnerd.html
Latest Review: Surviving the Business of Healthcare by Barbara Galutia Regis PA-C

Post by GNerd »

I absolutely loved the storyline. Amazing review. Thank you

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”