Official Review: Fairytale of a Felony Stalker

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Official Review: Fairytale of a Felony Stalker

Post by Dominik_G »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fairytale of a Felony Stalker" by Miranda Dye.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Miranda Dye's (using the pseudonym Eve Rising) Fairytale of a Felony Stalker is listed as romance and in a twisted way it is. It's an autobiographical piece focusing on the author's first year of sobriety and obsessive love for a man she calls Adam.

To be honest, I find it hard to gather my thoughts about this work. In a strictly literary sense, it hardly even passes as a book. It is not professionally edited, and it reads more like a journal than an actual book. However, I have never read such a raw, honest, and vulnerable piece of writing before. All along, I felt genuinely overwhelmed but deeply fascinated.

The author puts everything out there: her experiences with bipolar disorder, her past traumas, her struggles with alcoholism, and - as the main theme of the work - her love for a man she had a brief but life-altering relationship with. The reader gets to follow her right into the middle of her obsession, which ultimately results in a lifelong restraining order and felony charges.

What I admired the most about this piece was its sincerity and the completely natural stream-of-consciousness style it was written in. The following excerpt demonstrates both well: "There is not one lie in this book. That I do know. It is all the truth about me. This is brutally honest. This is me. All of me. Nothing more, nothing less. All on the line…all in. Here, present and on blast. This is me. You get what you read. The real me. All of it. Truth. Nothing held back, this is the real deal. This is kind of scary. Kind of a lot. Too much. Too real. Too powerful."

I found its repetitive nature exhausting at times, however, I also believe that it added to its depth: when we're anxious about or obsessed with something (even if not to a criminal extent), we tend to return to the same chain of thoughts over and over again. The only real issue for me was the fairly high number of typos and small errors (such as using "its" instead of "it's").

The author has a strong Christian faith and talks extensively about her beliefs and experiences with God. However, I believe that non-religious readers can also find the book interesting and enjoyable despite this.

All in all, I'm rating Fairytale of a Felony Stalker 3 out of 4 stars. There are occurrences of mild profanity throughout the book and it mentions the subject of sex and sexuality often. Therefore, I recommend it to mature readers who are interested in psychology and first-hand accounts of being a stalker.

Fairytale of a Felony Stalker
View: on Bookshelves
Saint Bruno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saint-bruno.html
Latest Review: The vampires missing cape by Steve Stables
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Saint Bruno »

I think I am going to pass on this one as it is not my kind of book. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading your detailed and insightful review. Good job, Dominik.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

That excerpt says it all. I am intrigued. I can't help but recall Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction.
Olgamiell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olgamiell.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Olgamiell »

It seems like a brutally honest, raw, and fascinating piece of literature. Like you pointed out, it is not a traditional romance, but then again it is a romance. It surely is a difficult book, but I admire the author's courage. Very deep and well-detailed review, I truly enjoyed it.
Olabode Joshua
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-olabode-joshua.html
Latest Review: Natural Born Gangster: The Legend of Chris Bell by C J H Moore
Reading Device: B0042D75TU

Post by Olabode Joshua »

Hmmm, what else is left to see? A book from the perspective of a (hopefully repented) stalker. I'd like to read this book even if it's just to learn a few tricks that I can use as a defence. Although, the book seems to be more of an outpouring of the heart. Great work, Dominik G!
Remember, we are passers-by in this realm
CharlieMax1516
Currently Reading: Put Comfortable Shoes in my Coffin
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charliemax1516.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by CharlieMax1516 »

I think this book would be a little too raw for me. It sounds almost as if it were written for therapeutic reasons. I hope the author has now found healthy balance in her life. Thank you for your thoughtful, enjoyable review!
"Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs." -Emily Bronte
Raluca_Mihaila
Favorite Book: The Brothers Karamazov
Currently Reading: The Master and Margarita
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raluca-mihaila.html
Latest Review: Brandy, Ballad of a Pirate Princess by Dan E. Hendrickson

Post by Raluca_Mihaila »

Thank you for your honest review! I appreciate a sincere and vulnerable writing, because it takes a lot of courage for the author to reveal itself.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Despite the difficulties you had with this book, your review intrigues readers about what the author went through. Many memoirs reflect how faith and spiritual direction helped the author overcome a troubled life. Honesty makes for a compelling story. Great writing!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

There are quite a few books written from the perspective of the person being stalked but very few written from the perspective of the stalker. That makes it interesting to start with. One does have to admire the author for having the courage to write the book. Great review!
Fabulous mind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabulous-mind.html
Latest Review: The Last Panda by L.Z. smith

Post by Fabulous mind »

This kind of book may bored me, so, it's best I avoid. Nevertheless, I enjoyed reading your review.
MeganDJ
Currently Reading: Mirrored Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megandj.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MeganDJ »

Wow! Sounds like a super intense read. I believe that the author's purpose for writing this book was a form of cathartic release in a huge stream of consciousness across the page. It sounds like she is not meaning to help anyone in particular way, but to truly set herself free of all that she feels caged by. Thank you for the raw and honest review! Happy reading :techie-studyinggray:
He who lives in harmony with himself lives in harmony with the universe - Marcus Aurelius
Sou Hi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

Wow, thanks for your throughout review. I'm not sure if I will like this book, as its content is a little too much for me to handle. But I admire her courage and hope that she will be able to free herself from her obsession.
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

I think I'm far from the targeted audience. But I enjoyed your through and descriptive review! Great work!
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I like the fact that the author is confident to tell her story and be honest about it. However, the subject matter seems so surreal to me.

Thank you for your candid review and analysis.
:)
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Wow, you really got me intrigued! I would definitely love to check this honest and unique book out! Thanks for a great review :)

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”