Official Review: Writing Something That Means Something

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Writing Something That Means Something

Post by Beatus »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Writing Something That Means Something" by Barbara J Little.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Authors who write short story books have always earned my respect. This is because the plot, characters, scenes, and everything else have to be so constricted and still be interesting to the reader. In her book, Writing Something That Means Something, Barbara J. Little made so much sense in so many aspects in the book’s 27 stories. This may seem like a book for young people because of the manner the author designed the stories. However, this makes the stories more interesting and enjoyable even to adults. The narrative is also simple and straight.

The unique construction of each of the stories contributes so much to the meaning of life and living. There are so many themes and life lessons most of us can associate with. From such simple word choice and elegant writing style readers can learn about family, business, love, creativity, and so many other issues. The author gave me a feeling like she is this wonderful grandmother. Every night she would sit by the fire and recount her life’s experiences in story-like narrations to her children and grandchildren. Some stories in this book may seem real to some readers. They may not be wrong at all. Readers may gain actual life experiences from some stories coupled with laughter and fun.

Although I enjoyed the book, I still think the author could have structured it better. The stories contribute to knowledge about people in a society and their nature. In fact, this is what I liked most about the book. However, a bit of enhancement on the characters’ intellect could have brought a lot of difference. Also, the author could’ve gone a little deeper and involve some emotions and not just mere concerns. Perhaps constructing the stories in such a manner helped to keep them short, but I believe there was still room for improvement.

I believe teenagers and adults alike can enjoy this book. It may not interest those who like action or thriller, though. The author did an outstanding job with the general flow of the book. She also kept a clean sheet on violence and sexual content. The book had no religious content that will offend any individual or any religious group.

Professionals must have edited this book without a doubt, as I did not find any grammatical or spelling mistakes to justify otherwise. With these observations I rate the book Writing Something That Means Something by Barbara J. Little 4 out of 4 stars.

Writing Something That Means Something
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like a book full of life lessons, and I like that there are many short stories within. Thanks for the excellent review.
Tarilan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarilan.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Tarilan »

I love learning from people's experiences. I definitely want to dig deeper. Thanks for the review.
Lizzylu92
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lizzylu92 »

The author brought family, business, friends and so much more together in “Writing Something That Means Something”, which was not only to show experiences, but to teach lessons.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”