Official Review: Message From A Star by Michael J. Clark

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Official Review: Message From A Star by Michael J. Clark

Post by Anthony__ »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Message From A Star" by Michael J. Clark.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ever imagined a bright family vacation that is expected to be enjoyable but turned into a fight for freedom? Are you a fan of adventurous and exciting stories? If yes, then Michael J. Clark's 448-page road fiction novel titled Message From A Star is perfect for you. It is steeped in themes of danger, family, true friendship, crime, and espionage.

The book is encapsulated within twenty-nine chapters. The storyline revolves around two men (Joe and Chad), who were best friends, and the coolest guys in high school in the era of the fifties. Years later, they surprisingly reunite in Florida while bringing their respective families for holidays. In a shocking and unexpected turn of events, both men drift from being harmless family men and tourists and are thrust into the blood-chilling world of cold-blooded murder, hard drugs, crime, and ruthless gangsters. On the run from determined and ambitious cops, and amidst the battle for their survival and freedom, they must ultimately prove their innocence under the watchful and judgmental eyes of the world. Read up to find out if they are fortunate enough to overcome their perils.

Michael J. Clark is a great writer. I admire his light-hearted, humorous, and simplistic writing style. The adventures in this book are one of a kind. Message From A Star can rightly be described as a reasonably good debut novel. The author does an excellent job of wrapping up action and humor in a commendable way. The plot is riddled with twists and turns, and the characters are caught up in a perpetual cycle of disasters.

There is also a theme of suspense that rings throughout the novel. The author should be commended for creating a set of well-constructed and incredibly likable characters. The story is intensely character-driven. The author designed a detailed and extensive behavioural chart for the main characters. Their adventures, thought processes, distinctive personalities, and strong motivations kept the plot exciting and refreshingly amusing. Characterization strengthens a book and gives it life. In the case of this book, this is monumentally true in every sense. Therefore, I am rating it 4 out of 4 stars because the characters are professionally developed. Also, the book is well-edited because I did not find any grammatical or punctuation errors in it.

My favorite character is Joe. He is the more courageous, logical, and intelligent member of the dynamic duo. He is also a voice of caution and a true family man at heart. I admire his bravery during his encounter with the drug baron, Getty. It was a tensed survival scene filled with suspense, drama, grit, and a frail thread that separates life and death dangling at the top of it. Other players, such as Angie and Babs (the ladies at the bar), Rico and Jose (the thieves), Albert (the hotel owner), and Chillic (the notorious drug lord, The Chameleon) helped to drive the storyline. Various settings like luxury hotels, dreary low-income houses, beaches, and so on were well-orchestrated.

In conclusion, Message From A Star is fun, entertaining, and humorous but at heart a tale of true friendship. You will be charmed by the jokes, nostalgic memories, and brave actions of Joe and Chad as they lurch from one experience to the other in a bid to clear their names and set their lives back to the tone of normalcy. I recommend this book to anyone who believes in family bonds, the joys of friendship, and the fight for freedom.

The only thing I dislike about the book was the instances of several occurrences of profane words, but that did not hinder my reading experience. Joe’s imaginative writing to his wife (Stacey) towards the ending part of the book was very captivating and emotional. That is what you get when you read a book authored by a songwriter.

Message From A Star
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

Sounds like a book I will enjoy. Thanks for the detailed review.
SarahShebl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahshebl.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by SarahShebl »

For me, the humorous and simplistic writing style is what attracts me most to a book. Your description of the thrilling story makes me eager to read this book.
Kola+wole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kola-wole.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Kola+wole »

I like the themes which the book revolves around. I sure hope they are able to clear their names and return to being harmless family men :D. Nice review.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

"There is also a theme of suspense that rings throughout the novel." - Great to see suspense mixed with fun elements. Thank you for the great review!
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

I really enjoyed reading your review, thank you. This sounds like a great book to read.
Suesea
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suesea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Suesea »

Wow, you have this review writing down. I was turned off by the cover of the book and the fact that it is listed as a romance novel. However, your description sold this book to me. I can't imagine not reading it now. I want to experience all the action, twists and turns, and the humor. I sure hope it's as good as you say. I'm expecting top of the line.

Thank you.
Anthony__
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

Suesea wrote: 31 Aug 2020, 20:15 Wow, you have this review writing down. I was turned off by the cover of the book and the fact that it is listed as a romance novel. However, your description sold this book to me. I can't imagine not reading it now. I want to experience all the action, twists and turns, and the humor. I sure hope it's as good as you say. I'm expecting top of the line.

Thank you.
It is. Try and read it.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Sounds like Joe and Chad are quite the strong characters. Thanks for an insightful review!
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Moray_001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Sounds like a great book I would enjoy reading.
Nichole Kurns
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Still Life
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nichole-kurns.html
Latest Review: Intricate Mandalas with Inspirational Quotes: by Big Initial Studios

Post by Nichole Kurns »

I want to know if Joe and Chad are able to clear their names! This book sounds great and your review grabbed my attention and peeked my interest in the book.
Great review!
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

I enjoyed reading your review. The book sounds well written and worthy of being given a chance.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Gladys Chris mburu
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gladys-chris-mburu.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gladys Chris mburu »

Adding this book to my shelf its a must read. Your review is well detailed and interesting. The author seems to have done a great job of maintain family bonds, can't wait to fall in love with the favorite character of my choice to and remain glued.
MariaLivaniou
Favorite Author: Cassandra Clare
Favorite Book: City of Bones
Currently Reading: Captive Prince
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robinbennet.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 2912

Post by MariaLivaniou »

I will be honest in any other situation I wouldn't consider reading this book, it sounded more of a hot mess than an exiting adventure and not worth the trouble, but you review of it really changed my mind about it. What I would like to mention is that the cover of the book really needs some work, maybe something less destructing would be more suitable. And finally when you said the names Joe and Chad all I could think about was the characters from friends Joey and Chandler but I am sure when I read the book that image will leave my head.
Alice Ngugi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-ngugi.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Alice Ngugi »

I love the sudden turn of events between the two pals. Would love to read and find out if they were fortunate enough to escape from the accusations. Great review

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”