Official Review: Love & Lust The Sensuousnes of The T...

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Official Review: Love & Lust The Sensuousnes of The T...

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love & Lust The Sensuousnes of The Tropics" by Carlos Alberto Laster.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I sadly state that Love & Lust – The Sensuousness of The Tropics was a complete bore for me. Finding diary accounts interesting is a rarity, but this one was simply the worst. The introduction was too long, at 23 pages, and filled with spelling, grammar, and editorial errors. It was a bad beginning for sure.

This book is the collection of The Diaries of Harriet Elizabeth Wagner done by Carlos Alberto Laster. For this reason, I suppose I can forgive the mistakes within the actual diary, considering that they are the original works of Harriet. But in the introduction itself, there were errors in almost every line. I am not one to judge a book by its mistakes, but with simply too many, I must consider that it was a case of poor editing.

Coming to the story, I expected one with a lot of drama as said in the introduction but found it a bit scandalous for my taste. Again, I am not judging Harriet for her interests, but I would just like to mention that readers who prefer monogamy should avoid this book. As it was a diary, I understand that the flow was not to my taste, but I did get the gist of it. Harriet, along with her friends, Eliz, Glen, Art Lawler, Jimmy Hagen and Roger Pryer seems to be in a love hexagon (this is the best way I could fathom it). There is confusion and jealousy, flirtation and misunderstanding, and despite it all, an underlying friendship. As the story progressed, I got more and more confused with the plot, and more and more irritated with the errors. I am sad to say that I simply hated this book.

I hence award this book 1 out of 4 stars. I would have awarded it 0 stars, but I took into account that Harriet Elizabeth Wagner seemed like an achiever from the introduction, and I respect her for that. She had preserved her life story in the hopes that it would be told and I hope that she is happy that it is. But I am not happy with the editing. An effort has been made in placing photos and pictures so as to not bore the reader, but I feel that more effort should have been put into editing as well.

I do not want to speak about plot development or character development as this is clearly a life story. Harriet has definitely lived a colorful life, at least from her perspective. I do not suggest this book to anyone until it is properly edited. Even after that, due to the highly scandalous nature, I suggest adults approach it with caution. If you don’t mind this content, please proceed.

I hope the author may bring out better books in the future.

Love & Lust The Sensuousnes of The Tropics
View: on Bookshelves
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

It's sad to note that the book has been terribly edited. Thanks for your candid review. Good job!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
A Y reviews
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-y-reviews.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by A Y reviews »

The title really drew me to read this review but unfortunately the book isn't anything to write about. Great review
Sabi_10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Sabi_10 »

Swara Sangeet wrote: 28 Jul 2020, 21:53 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Love & Lust The Sensuousnes of The Tropics" by Carlos Alberto Laster.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I sadly state that Love & Lust – The Sensuousness of The Tropics was a complete bore for me. Finding diary accounts interesting is a rarity, but this one was simply the worst. The introduction was too long, at 23 pages, and filled with spelling, grammar, and editorial errors. It was a bad beginning for sure.

This book is the collection of The Diaries of Harriet Elizabeth Wagner done by Carlos Alberto Laster. For this reason, I suppose I can forgive the mistakes within the actual diary, considering that they are the original works of Harriet. But in the introduction itself, there were errors in almost every line. I am not one to judge a book by its mistakes, but with simply too many, I must consider that it was a case of poor editing.

Coming to the story, I expected one with a lot of drama as said in the introduction but found it a bit scandalous for my taste. Again, I am not judging Harriet for her interests, but I would just like to mention that readers who prefer monogamy should avoid this book. As it was a diary, I understand that the flow was not to my taste, but I did get the gist of it. Harriet, along with her friends, Eliz, Glen, Art Lawler, Jimmy Hagen and Roger Pryer seems to be in a love hexagon (this is the best way I could fathom it). There is confusion and jealousy, flirtation and misunderstanding, and despite it all, an underlying friendship. As the story progressed, I got more and more confused with the plot, and more and more irritated with the errors. I am sad to say that I simply hated this book.

I hence award this book 1 out of 4 stars. I would have awarded it 0 stars, but I took into account that Harriet Elizabeth Wagner seemed like an achiever from the introduction, and I respect her for that. She had preserved her life story in the hopes that it would be told and I hope that she is happy that it is. But I am not happy with the editing. An effort has been made in placing photos and pictures so as to not bore the reader, but I feel that more effort should have been put into editing as well.

I do not want to speak about plot development or character development as this is clearly a life story. Harriet has definitely lived a colorful life, at least from her perspective. I do not suggest this book to anyone until it is properly edited. Even after that, due to the highly scandalous nature, I suggest adults approach it with caution. If you don’t mind this content, please proceed.

I hope the author may bring out better books in the future.

Love & Lust The Sensuousnes of The Tropics
View: on Bookshelves
The title of the book got my attention, but it's so sad that is not worth my time reading because of the poor editing.
Thank you for the review.
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

Thank you for such an honest review. Always a shame when a book turns out to be boring.
Ohemaaboakye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohemaaboakye.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by Ohemaaboakye »

I really thought this book would get a higher review score because the title and the descriptions make it seem like it would be worth the read. I'm sure with a few edits and quick fixes, this book's rating could probably go up a few more stars. But you're review was very insightful although a bit critical, haha.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Fair review, only bad the author didn't imprint the readers with enough reason to read the book.
Priyanka2304
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priyanka2304.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Priyanka2304 »

That was terrible that this book couldn't stand upon the expectations. Thanks for the honest review.
Patrick Maina1
Currently Reading: The Power of Habit
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patrick-maina1.html
Latest Review: How To Keep Your Daughter From Slamming the Door by Deborah Ann Davis
Reading Device: Moonreader

Post by Patrick Maina1 »

This is such an honest review.When a book doesn't match the standards,as a reader you feel disappointed.
Charity Damaris
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Charity Damaris »

I hope that the editor will review and correct all the mistakes that are on the book so that it matches it's title. Thank you for the review.
Zainabreadsnow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainabreadsnow.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Zainabreadsnow »

Oh, very disappointed to see that such a solid premise was followed through with a very flawed execution. Thank you for your review and detailed analysis.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Elvis Best wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 04:38 It's sad to note that the book has been terribly edited. Thanks for your candid review. Good job!
Thank you for your kind words. I was disappointed as well.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Sabi_10 wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 11:26 The title of the book got my attention, but it's so sad that is not worth my time reading because of the poor editing.
Thank you for the review.
Thank you for your compliment. I too was sad.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Topsey wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 13:35 Thank you for such an honest review. Always a shame when a book turns out to be boring.
Thank you for your candid comment. That's very true.
Sindhu Srinath

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

Ohemaaboakye wrote: 30 Jul 2020, 15:01 I really thought this book would get a higher review score because the title and the descriptions make it seem like it would be worth the read. I'm sure with a few edits and quick fixes, this book's rating could probably go up a few more stars. But you're review was very insightful although a bit critical, haha.
Thank you for your kind words. It's true that the title is eye-catching and I had great expectations.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”