Official Review: From Kamit to the Stars by Clavaire Elanga

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Official Review: From Kamit to the Stars by Clavaire Elanga

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Kamit to the Stars" by Clavaire Elanga.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

From Kamit to the Stars by Clavaire Elanga was originally written in French, and only translated into English by Nathalie Blézer. The French title was L’apprehension d’un oui fatal, which translates as The Apprehension of a Fatal Yes. It is comprised of 5 chapters that followed the life of the main character, Rohman, born in a place called Kamit. In a sense, Kamit is more than just a geographical place, which was formerly inhabited by the Bantu Subsaharans in Ancient Egypt, prior to their southward migration in Central Africa. Kamit was of the culture that embodies the ideals of a Black civilization devoted to truth, justice, and equity — the attributes of their true God Amon-Ra. However, Rohman’s family, dwelling among the Bantus of the present times, was Catholic Christian, as the Bantus were not of the Fula ethnic group, which was comprised of the Muslim tribes that inhabited the Sahel and West Africa.

Rohman is still a bachelor at 32 and lives with his parents. It became a big issue for him, whether to accept or not, Diane, a woman brought home by his mother to become his wife. In his country, it was traditional for parents to arrange the marriage of their children. But Rohman has met many other women in the course of his work as a clerk of the Justice Department, if not by his travels. Men and women were usually drawn to him, not only impressed by his looks, but also by the vastness of his knowledge, culled mostly from personal readings, to make up for his lack of a college degree. While it could be said that women had brought Rohman to some lows in his life, and even got him imprisoned in some instances, equally, women had also brought Rohman to paradise, and more so have Ashley, who, in addition, proposed to bring him to the stars — at a cost. Could Rohman afford the price?

This novel is very timely. At the time when events point out to some Whites pressing for supremacy, here come the Bantu people, whose ascendancy has yet dated to the ancient Pharaohs of Egypt, claiming that Blackness is associated with moral grandeur. We were made privy to the revelation that Jesus, like Moses, was a black man. This book invokes common knowledge, historicity, and even the conspiracy theories on many topics, not only involving Blacks, but topics from science to superstition or religion; from the archeological to the astronomical; from Psychology to Philosophy; from the most mundane to the supernatural or the occult; and many more — encompassing the economy, politics, and the global power struggle. The novel seems like an exposition of facts, myths, and history.

I liked how Elanga bared the general mindset of the Bantu, or of Rohman, in particular — about how he had stuck to his ideals, even when in dire circumstances. Among the other deeds of Rohman, you could really admire him as he returns funds, not his own, even while on the run, and in need. They were people deeply concerned with family and honor.

As to the writing, I could not deny that it was done eloquently, although the presence of lengthy narratives and dialogue had taken the place of action at times. But this way, the characters got fully developed, and the setting amply described. However, one may notice the customized way that the dialogues were formatted. But I would not fault the writer for making it such because, as I read along, it became apparent that it has conveniently served a purpose. For one thing, I’ve noticed that the way most of the discourse had been spoken at considerable lengths, the opening quotation mark would be too far from the closing quotation mark, so as to render them hardly related as pairs. And it is understandable that when elders, or people knowledgeable on a subject, speak, these usually result in uninterrupted outpourings.

From Kamit to the Stars can’t be lightyears away from arriving, despite the errors that naturally plague books on their earlier editions. Another round of editing could easily fix the issues. And I enjoy the book, with its abundance of information, and good-humored drama. I recommend this to young adults and upwards, who had a liking for romance. I look forward to giving From Kamit to the Stars a rating higher than 3 out of 4 stars when the time comes.

From Kamit to the Stars
View: on Bookshelves
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Topsey
Currently Reading: Something Wicked This Way Comes
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topsey.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Topsey »

This sounds like a very interesting read especially as it was originally in French. I think this would be a great book to read in the current climate.
Christabel Uzoamaka
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Lingering Poets
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christabel-uzoamaka.html
Latest Review: Atlantis Revealed by Riaan Booysen

Post by Christabel Uzoamaka »

Rohman sounds like quite the “man”. I expect that his story will be an interesting one.
Great work with the review, I appreciate it.
Dayodiola
Favorite Book: King of thots
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dayodiola.html
Latest Review: Unchecked capitalism is killing us! by Earl Rynerson
Reading Device: Adobe

Post by Dayodiola »

Just a complement of all I need to read and as I need to read it, amazing review
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

Generally, translation books do not live up to the original work. Hope this book excels in that department. Appreciate the insightful review.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Elvis Best
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elvis-best.html
Latest Review: Teething Problems by Mark Fletcher

Post by Elvis Best »

This sounds old an interesting read and Rohman sounds very relatable. Great review!
"People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in, their true beauty is revealed only if there is a light from within." -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Ogugua Obinna Stephen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obinna9058.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Ogugua Obinna Stephen »

Seems like Rohman is in for a big adventure. This book embraces generality. The author really tried by translating the book.
Joseph_ngaruiya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joseph-ngaruiya.html
Latest Review: The Napoleone's heroes by Gianfranco Menghini

Post by Joseph_ngaruiya »

Thank you for your comprehensive review, when I first read the title I actually thought the characters of the book travel to the stars. I hope the few errors will be corrected for a better rating.
Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment.
InventorT
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inventort.html
Latest Review: Better Dead Than Divorced by Lukas Thanasis Konandreas, M.D.

Post by InventorT »

Such a detailed review. Hope I get the chance to read it because it really sounds interesting
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:

Topsey wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 15:16 This sounds like a very interesting read especially as it was originally in French. I think this would be a great book to read in the current climate.
Yes it is. Get ready to experience a deluge of information. Thanks for commenting.

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Christieee wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 17:38 Rohman sounds like quite the “man”. I expect that his story will be an interesting one.
Great work with the review, I appreciate it.
Rohman is a ladies' man. People were drawn to him for so many reasons. This is a romance novel, so expect many interesting encounters. Thanks for passing by.

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Dayodiola wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 23:08 Just a complement of all I need to read and as I need to read it, amazing review
Yes, you should read this novel, both for enjoyment and information. There is a lot to learn from it. Enjoy. Thanks for commenting.

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Usma Khann wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 23:41 Generally, translation books do not live up to the original work. Hope this book excels in that department. Appreciate the insightful review.🌸
It's amazing that the author is well-versed in French. The translation seems living up to expectation, that is, the eloquence and erudition of the prose. Thanks for commenting. :tiphat:

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Elvis Best wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 23:56 This sounds old an interesting read and Rohman sounds very relatable. Great review!
Rohman is a highly honorable black man. He has an ascendancy from the Pharaohs of ancient Egypt.

Thanks for passing by.

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Currently Reading:

Omega 6 wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 00:49 Seems like Rohman is in for a big adventure. This book embraces generality. The author really tried by translating the book.
Rohman has gone into great lengths to ease himself and family out of poverty. They thought that marrying a girl of some wealth and prestige would be the answer. But they were in for a great surprise when they found out it comes at a great price. Thanks for passing by.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”