Official Review: Ramona's Man by D. L. Yoder

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Official Review: Ramona's Man by D. L. Yoder

Post by kdstrack »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ramona's Man" by D. L. Yoder.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ramona was on a mission of revenge motivated by her father's rejection of her previous boyfriend. She would show her father that marrying into money wasn't all that mattered in a marriage! Ramona selected Harley from a homeless shelter. He was disheveled and suffered suppressed trauma episodes. Harley was just the boyfriend she needed to teach her father a lesson! She marched Harley into the Magnuson's Christmas gathering. Her sisters' appalling reaction did not surprise her. She expected that her mother would be scandalized. She never imagined that her father would keel over. It amazed everyone to see her "homeless" boyfriend perform CPR on her father and save his life.

Harley Driscoll stepped into Ramona's life and set off an unexpected chain of events. Father went to the hospital and became a believer in God. Mother took the helm of the family and tried to steer Ramona away from her new boyfriend. Ramona discovered a secret about her family’s past. The biggest surprise was Harley. His brain fog, missing memories, and the ability to learn new things were a mystery to him. What had happened to him in the Ultimate Warrior Project? Who was this man that Ramona had so haphazardly dragged into her family's life?

Ramona's Man by D. L. Yoder is a romance novel that includes an additional story line of mystery and suspense. Ramona and Harley had deep emotional scars that hadn't healed. As they spent time together, Ramona's broken heart and Harley's confused mind began to mend. I enjoyed the way the author revealed the past events that had caused the deep wounds in their souls. The author did a tremendous job of highlighting the social chasm that separated the wealthy socialite and the tormented soldier.

The author's writing skill took my breath away. Moving passages brought smiles to my lips and tears to my eyes. Here is one outstanding example: "It was bitter to taste the sweet and hope for the brighter tomorrow only to fall into the endless night where no songs of joy can ever be sung." (p. 221) Harley's participation in an experimental military program was another pleasant surprise that I didn't see coming. The author took the plot around a bend that kept me intrigued and captivated.

Unfortunately, this book needs another round of editing. Misspelled words and incorrect verb forms abound. The most common error was "your" instead of "you're."

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. The author delivered a clean romance, as promised. The sharp contrast between Ramona's life of luxury and Harley's traumatic military experiences created an unusual, yet hypnotic relationship. Readers of romance novels will "wrap this one up in tissue paper and hide it in the heart." (p. 20) The revelation of secrets from the past will captivate mystery lovers. The author also highlights themes of family unity and soldiers with PTSD episodes.

Ramona's Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

It seems like mystery surrounds every corner of this book. A complicated family that will come to encounter a whole new kind of complication. Thanks for this wonderful review.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This sounds like more than just your average love story; the relationship seems to be the catalyst for change in Ramona's family. Thanks for the lovely review.
geebeex
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geebeex.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by geebeex »

This sounds like such an interesting book - you write a very compelling review.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I was very captivated by your review and by your book's storyline. I truly appreciated that the author decided to bring in a dimension of social inequality as well. Great review, thank you!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Things certainly happen for a reason; Ramona's attempt to teach her dad a lesson actually began to unfold certain things and amazingly doing her dad good by leading him to believe in God. What could be the secrets she discovered? I am curious already, adding this to my list.Wonderful review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Caffrey_19 wrote: 13 May 2020, 03:33 It seems like mystery surrounds every corner of this book. A complicated family that will come to encounter a whole new kind of complication. Thanks for this wonderful review.
The focus on the family and how one person can change the dynamics kept me interested in this story. The author also created some very intriguing twists. I'm glad you enjoyed the review. Thanks for stopping by!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 13 May 2020, 06:54 This sounds like more than just your average love story; the relationship seems to be the catalyst for change in Ramona's family. Thanks for the lovely review.
I enjoyed this book because I felt the author gave me more than I bargained for! The book is listed under the romance genre, so the secondary story line surprised and fascinated me. It was a satisfying read! Thanks for stopping by, Stephanie.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

geebeex wrote: 13 May 2020, 09:47 This sounds like such an interesting book - you write a very compelling review.
It is a captivating story. I'm glad you enjoyed the review and hope you will be able to read the book. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

I so much cherish the person of Ramona for persistently going for her heart desire - Harley. How I wish anyone going into relationship would tow the path of Ramona's resilience. Thanks for the review.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Ediomis_Enwongo01 wrote: 14 May 2020, 08:34 I so much cherish the person of Ramona for persistently going for her heart desire - Harley. How I wish anyone going into relationship would tow the path of Ramona's resilience. Thanks for the review.
You would enjoy Ramona's story! The author kept it interesting by taking the plot down paths that were totally unexpected. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

espo wrote: 13 May 2020, 12:59 I was very captivated by your review and by your book's storyline. I truly appreciated that the author decided to bring in a dimension of social inequality as well. Great review, thank you!
This author surprised me! The romance was developing quite nicely when I was surprised by an intriguing secondary plot line. This made the book enjoyable and riveting. I hope you get a chance to read this one. Thanks so much for your insightful comments!
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Splendour0606 wrote: 13 May 2020, 17:05 Things certainly happen for a reason; Ramona's attempt to teach her dad a lesson actually began to unfold certain things and amazingly doing her dad good by leading him to believe in God. What could be the secrets she discovered? I am curious already, adding this to my list.Wonderful review.
The father's reaction was quite a twist that Ramona didn't foresee. There were many more unseen circumstances that the author skillfully weaved into the story. This book was very enjoyable, and I hope you enjoy it, too. Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comments!
Elwyn23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elwyn23.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Elwyn23 »

I don enjoy a romance novel from time to time and I like that this one feature elements from other genres. It seems a cozy read despite its heavier themes. Thank you for the great review :)
kdstrack

Post by kdstrack »

Elwyn23 wrote: 14 May 2020, 15:43 I don enjoy a romance novel from time to time and I like that this one feature elements from other genres. It seems a cozy read despite its heavier themes. Thank you for the great review :)
Yes! I feel the same way. A romance novel from time to time is a welcome break from mystery and crime!! I hope you will enjoy this lovely story. Thanks so much for your kind words. Greatly appreciated. :-)

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”