Official Review: To Blossom and Back by Paul Hopkins

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Re: Official Review: To Blossom and Back by Paul Hopkins

Post by kandscreeley »

The editing does sound atrocious, and it's too bad. I like the idea of the lyrics added in, but 10 in such a short book does sound a bit excessive. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

That's a shame. The presence of emojis is just weird, I think. It might take a special set of circumstances to make that work.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 379
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Dissonance by Aaron Ryan
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

Editing, so vital! Quoting abbreviations and emojis in text message conversations in a book is one thing, but I agree that they should not be allowed to compromise the narrative. I enjoyed reading your thorough review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones

Post by Maria Esposito »

Petra1989 wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 00:56 I think it is very courageous to write a book on your personal experience especially if that experience is strongly emotional and it is not approved by majority.
What you explained in your review as reasons for not liking the book seems justified but maybe author really wanted to go on completely different writing path. It seems he wanted to write a book different from any other, it is just a shame that it is not edited right since I fell it could ave been something strong and different.
Like I wrote in my review, I agree that it is courageous to write this type of book. However, my critiques had nothing to do with the author's writing path and were geared toward inconsistencies in the writing style and editing. Thank you for your comment and feedback!
JKO wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 04:15 A lot of work has to be done to improve this book. I am sorry you had to read it in this state. Thanks for the honest review.
Thanks for taking the time to read my review!
Sushan wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 07:09 A critical, yet very useful review. If not for your rating, I would have chosen this to read. Thank you 👍👍
This book has a lot of potential. It's a pity that it presents so many inconsistencies, but many people would want to read it if the author worked on them. Thank you so much for stopping by!
khaulah wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 08:40 The theme of the book is not to my liking. Thank you for your review though. It was helpful.
I understand that the book might not be for everyone - it's quite controversial. Thanks for your kind comment.
Prisallen wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 08:56 I don't really care much for the theme, myself. That, coupled with all the other issues, makes me very unlikely to read this book. Thanks for your very honest and informative review!
That's fair! Thank you so much for your kind comment!
kdstrack wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 09:08 I enjoy books where the author gives an honest assessment of their emotions and the events. The content of this book looks interesting - if you can overlook the errors. I enjoyed your insights and comments about this book. Thanks.
Yes, the contents and perspective are definitely unique, that's why I selected this book for review in the first place. Thank you very much for stopping by!
Splendour0606 wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 10:53 This book is really emotional, my heart goes out to his devoted wife that he is cheating on. Marriage is not based on feelings but a decision to be committed to your partner no matter the challenges or temptations. The potholes in this book are really discouraging but I will give it a try. Thanks for your honest review.
I agree with you on marriage, and I really felt for his wife, too. I am glad you're willing to give this book a try regardless. Thanks for stopping by!
unamilagra wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 12:12 Wow, that sounds like a frustrating read. Thanks for your honest review so that I can skip the book!
It was! Thank you for taking the time to read my review and leave a comment!
purpleroseberry wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 13:33 Thanks for writing such an elaborate review. It is hard to write a review when the book is not interesting, but you were still honest in your review.
I agree with you - writing reviews of books I did not appreciate is definitely not my cup of tea!
Dannyphery wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 15:12 Poor editing can make one frustrated and tired of reading...
I'll just pass.
Thanks for the informative review though.
Nice review
Thank you for stopping by!
Adanna Inya wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 16:59 I won't be reading this book. Cheaters turn me off. Then to write a whole book out of it and it ends up as a mess of unprofessionally done work? I'll pass.
I completely get you! Thank you for leaving a comment!
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 17:49 It sounds like the book has too many shortcomings for me; plus I don't really want to read about someone's affair. Thanks for the honest review, though!
Thanks for stopping by!
awais1 wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 18:11 the theme of book is very sad. this shows how important in life for both wife and husband to committed for each other.either one of them found cheating life become tasteless
. so we should avoid cheating its necessary for healthy relationship.this book shows power of love in practical life.very emotional story.
Yes, it definitely is a story centered around emotions and feelings that are conventionally left in the dark. This is one aspect of the book I did appreciate. Thank you for leaving a comment!
kandscreeley wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 18:47 The editing does sound atrocious, and it's too bad. I like the idea of the lyrics added in, but 10 in such a short book does sound a bit excessive. Thanks.
I also liked the idea of the lyrics, and I was pleased to read that Blossom's nickname comes from a song by Paolo Nutini, which I love. But it definitely got out of hand there. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!
inaramid wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 20:48 That's a shame. The presence of emojis is just weird, I think. It might take a special set of circumstances to make that work.
Yes, I agree. I would understand if he was using them when quoting texts or emails, but it was weird to see them in the narration. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 02:26 Editing, so vital! Quoting abbreviations and emojis in text message conversations in a book is one thing, but I agree that they should not be allowed to compromise the narrative. I enjoyed reading your thorough review.
Thank you so much for your kind comment!
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Maria Esposito
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones

Post by Maria Esposito »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 01:37 It's sad that such a promising book had plenty of errors.
Thank you for your honest review.
Indeed. Thanks for your comment.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

snowbear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowbear.html
Latest Review: What am I by stephen Thiele

Post by snowbear »

What a critical and honest review of the book. I hope the author sorts the issue out since he seems to have an interesting idea for the story of the book. Thanks for your review.
Lufri 21
Favorite Book: How to Measure a Cow
Currently Reading: The Vanished
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Lufri 21 »

It seems that this book is kind of sad.
Melisa Jane
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: The Dead Speak
Bookshelf Size: 190
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melisa-jane.html
Latest Review: In It Together (2nd Edition Hardcover from B&N) by Eckhart Aurelius Hughes

Post by Melisa Jane »

I don't like romance novels. Since you didn't like this book either, I think I'll give it a pass. Nice review though.
Insofar as the word 'should' even has meaning, then we must say that the past is exactly as it should be, everything that happened should have happened, and everything that should happen will happen
:techie-studyingbrown:

~ Scott Hughes
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

A book that involves emotional navigation. One would think that the book actually played on your own feelings as well. All the same, you did great with the review. Thank you
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

It looks like the author had some ideas, but he didn't really know how to develop them. I assume he did the job on his own, or at least without the help of a professional editor who could guide him through the process. Thank you for your honest review!
Ciao :)
Massimo
Maria Esposito

Post by Maria Esposito »

snowbear wrote: 01 May 2020, 04:37 What a critical and honest review of the book. I hope the author sorts the issue out since he seems to have an interesting idea for the story of the book. Thanks for your review.
Thanks for dropping a comment!
Lufri 21 wrote: 01 May 2020, 21:36 It seems that this book is kind of sad.
It is, in certain ways. The author allowed himself to be completely vulnerable, so I guess sadness was an inevitable part of the picture. Thanks for your comment!
JM Reviews wrote: 08 May 2020, 02:41 I don't like romance novels. Since you didn't like this book either, I think I'll give it a pass. Nice review though.
I totally understand. Thank you for leaving a comment!
Caffrey_19 wrote: 08 May 2020, 15:59 A book that involves emotional navigation. One would think that the book actually played on your own feelings as well. All the same, you did great with the review. Thank you
I try to be as emotionally detached from the books I review as I can. Especially with this one, I understand how easy it is to get judgemental about the author, so I was extra careful. Thank you for your comment!
NetMassimo wrote: 09 May 2020, 10:23 It looks like the author had some ideas, but he didn't really know how to develop them. I assume he did the job on his own, or at least without the help of a professional editor who could guide him through the process. Thank you for your honest review!
I agree with you - I think that a professional editor would have improved the book's quality immensely. Thank you for taking the time to read and comment on my review.

See_B00kReaDs
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-see-b00kreads.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by See_B00kReaDs »

Thanks for your honest review. First of all, I'm not interested in stories about extramarital affairs, and the fact that this book has a lot of issues. Your review has been helpful, I'll definitely pass on this one.
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don’t really matter.”
– Francis Chan

God bless you! :D
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

Thanks for the honest review!
I was planning on reading it but now I came to know that it is not my type at all.
Jlblawrence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlblawrence.html
Latest Review: We Don't Just Eat Lettuce! by Allyn Raifstanger

Post by Jlblawrence »

I probably would have read this book based on its attractive cover and interesting title. I enjoyed reading the reasons you rated it a 1 and probably would have done the same myself. It does sound like it could be improved and hopefully the author takes into account the advice they are given and turns it into something spectacular. Thank you for the honest review.
ChhornChantha
Currently Reading: When Life Doesn't Turn Out the Way We Hoped It Would? Volume 1
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by ChhornChantha »

The text of this book saddens me. These reflect the couple’s family life. Psychological issues are very important This book shows the power of love in marriage.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”