Official Review: Whispered Wishes by Sue Lilley

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Official Review: Whispered Wishes by Sue Lilley

Post by Kristy Khem »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Whispered Wishes" by Sue Lilley.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Whispered Wishes by Sue Lilley is a romantic thriller set in England. The plot follows Olivia Wilding whose life turns upside down when her lover, a celebrity photographer, spontaneously destroys her career and their relationship. Humiliated and penniless due to the scandal he created, Olivia retreats to a small cottage she owns in Havenwood. She easily makes friends in the village and quickly catches the eye of her handsome neighbor, Nathan Swift. Unfortunately, Olivia’s past catches up with her and strains the blossoming romance between the pair. She gets caught in the middle of a dangerous feud between Nathan and Lucas who coincidentally have a history together. Can they all put aside their differences and work together when Nathan’s five-year-old daughter is suddenly kidnapped?

Firstly, this isn’t a typical, predictable romance story. I absolutely enjoyed the unpredictability of the events. The plot’s volatility also hinged on the characters, especially Olivia. I could not accurately gauge her dynamic personality so I was shocked by some of the decisions she made. Lucas’ decisions were also hard to predict because he seemed very air-headed. He also had a surprising past with strong connections to questionable sub-characters. I really liked how the book kept my mind alert with this unique blend of characters and plot twists.

What I liked the least about the book was that the author tended to delay giving an explanation or backstory. For instance, Olivia and Lucas’ story wasn’t too clear at the beginning of the book. Only in the fourth chapter did I learn how their relationship began and ended. Sometimes, I felt out of the loop until certain details were revealed. Actually, a couple of times I flipped back to reread certain pages just to ensure I hadn’t missed anything (I didn’t, the author just hadn’t gotten to explaining it yet). A good book immerses the reader in the story, it doesn’t make them feel like an outsider.

A range of themes was explored in this book like lust, friendship, and parenting. Emotional themes of loss are also present. The book contains swearing and occasional erotic scenes. As it isn’t a typical mushy romance tale, younger readers may not appreciate the complex storyline and drama. Therefore, I would only recommend it to mature readers. Furthermore, mature readers will be able to relate to the characters’ experiences as they may have also encountered things like divorce and losing a baby.

Whispered Wishes was fairly well-edited. I only stumbled upon two minor errors. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I deducted a star because specific details for certain events and characters were not logically introduced. This broke the flow of the story and left me confused at times.

Whispered Wishes
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Laurina Michael Olowoniran
Currently Reading: Be the Change: The Future is in Your Hands
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laurina-olowo.html
Latest Review: Mister Pushkin Sees The Light by AC Michael

Post by Laurina Michael Olowoniran »

This really sounds like a real story. Having to go into hiding or start a new life only to have the old life surfacing. I imagine it would be frustrating for Olivia. Awesome review.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

This review sparked my curiosity. Who kidnapped Nathan's five-year-old daughter? What could the scandal that brought Olivia down be? This book seems like an interesting read!
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

The storyline sounds interesting. I would love to read the book. Thanks for the review!
Songjohn007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-songjohn007.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Songjohn007 »

Staring at the cover of the book with the little, one might think it's one of the romantic novels out there, but thanks for the expository review that changes my view on the book.
Mbalewechinonso
Currently Reading: The Date Farm
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbalewechinonso.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Mbalewechinonso »

This book simply entails strong connection Olivia's past and present. Olivia would be placed in between two choices. I'll love to see how it ends when I get the book..
Miraphery
Favorite Book: Worldlines
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miraphery.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Miraphery »

Olivia's retreat to a village to get over her failed career and relationship, falling in love with another man and the kidnapping of Nathan's daughter, that's a good storyline. Thanks for the sincere review
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

I am not a fan of romantic novels but as it is a thriller, I may try this one. Thanks for your great review!
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

Olivia from suffering a heart break to finding new love, yet her past came calling. I wonder the history Nathan and her ex had before Olivia came into the picture. I must affirm that this book feels intriguing.
shaffer1988
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaffer1988.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by shaffer1988 »

Wow! I am torn on whether or not I'd be interested in reading this. I was intrigued when your review went from a blossoming romance to the kidnapping of a child! :shock2: Unfortunately, I don't know that I would take a chance on this book due to the drawn out backstories. Great review!
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

The review is nice , I haven’t read it . I will surely read it .
bookloverqq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by bookloverqq »

One woman with two man,one from the past she want to forget and another one she have relation in present.both man have stories in the past.really thriller! Thanks for review
Miftah raza
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Miftah raza »

Just when we think the bad past experience or person has gone completely and we try to start afresh it shows up! I'm sure this experience of bad luck in love of Olivia is much relatable to many in today's times. From the review given, the story looks intriguing to me. Also who doesn't want to read romance with thriller and suspense! Thanks for this review!
Rachel693
Currently Reading: Bones don’t lie
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel693.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Rachel693 »

This review makes me want to read another one of Sue Lilley’s books. She does a great job of character delve loom ent and keeps you engrossed in the story because it’s not a typical love story there are always twists and turns along the way.
Belia_
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Belia_ »

The story line sounds very interesting and like this story would be a great read.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”