Official Review: Winds Across the Prairie

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: Winds Across the Prairie

Post by Julie Petitbon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Winds Across the Prairie" by A.E. Easterlin..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Winds Across the Prairie by A.E. Easterlin is an intriguing romance novel about perseverance, love, and greed. Devastated after her husband’s murder, Anna Parsons struggles to keep up their large farm, especially with all of the trouble she has. When farmhands leave, animals disappear, and fences are cut, Hannah knows she must find out who is behind everything. Robert McCurdy, the wealthy owner of the neighboring Bar M ranch, offers his help, and he also offers his hand in marriage. Hannah can’t imagine marrying again, especially to a greedy man like Robert. She questions his intentions and his involvement in the mysterious and deadly occurrences on her farm.

After learning of his friend’s murder and receiving a letter imploring him to take care of Hannah, Colton Rawlins travels to her farm in Cheyenne, Wyoming. From the moment Colt meets the beautiful widow, he feels drawn to her. Strong, kind, and feisty, Hannah is everything he wants in a woman. However, he knows she still mourns her husband and that she won’t move on until his killer is found. Colt must help her find the killer before Mc Curdy makes his move and ruins Colt’s chance with Hannah.

My favorite part of this story is Hannah. She is a well-developed, dynamic protagonist. I appreciate her independence and her willingness to fight even though she is afraid. Her bravery is evident from the first pages of the book when she stands up to several menacing men on horseback. She shows a deep love for her deceased husband, and she struggles to move on. Yet, she feels drawn toward Colt. He makes her feel safe, and he reawakens feelings in her that she thought were dead. Hannah muddles through her conflicted feelings throughout the story.

I also love Colt, Hannah’s main love interest. I especially like how he responds to Hannah’s evident grief over her loss. He understands her to need to grieve, and he never feels threatened by her deceased husband. His honesty and goodness serve in sharp contrast to Robert’s murky intentions. Further, Colt’s compassion, humility, and treatment of others, as well as his passionate loyalty to those he loves, all contribute to his likeability.

The story is well-paced, and the plot is interesting. Furthermore, the author skillfully uses foreshadowing to build suspense throughout the story. However, I rated this book 3 out of 4 stars because there are too many grammatical errors to give it a perfect score. Run-on sentences, missing words, and missing letters within words prove that the book will benefit from another round of editing.

Winds Across the Prairie does not contain any explicit sex scenes or vulgarity. However, there are some instances of violence. Readers who like romantic mysteries will enjoy this book. However, if you do not like stories of vengeance, you might want to pass on this one.

Winds Across the Prairie
View: on Bookshelves
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

The cover and the word 'prairie' drew me to your review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Sounds like a good read. Thanks for the review!
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

Thanks for the review. This sounds like an interesting book. I have read a couple with similar sounding plots, but I think I would enjoy this one.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This sounds like the kind of warm romance I usually enjoy. It always gets tricky when a friend makes a move on his friend's wife, widow on not. I'm inclined to check this out. Too bad for the errors. Great review!
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

It looks like Hannah is a great protagonist. I like that the plot is exciting, and the story is well-paced. Your review made me interested in reading this book. Thank you.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The well-developed characters and the interesting story line make this an appealing book. I really enjoyed your description of the author's ability to develop the protagonist. Thanks for the recommendation.
Makaylaparker
Currently Reading: The Portrait of a Lady
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-makaylaparker.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Makaylaparker »

Thank you for this detailed review. The word "prairie" in the title caught my attention, as well as the cover. Colt seems like a kind man, and his patience while walking beside Hannah in grief is a beautiful way to bring two characters together. Even though it's poorly edited, I'll definitely have to read it.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

One must wonder why exactly McCurdy wants to get his hands on Hannah and if it has anything to do with her farm. I'm thinking it's probably a way to get the land and Colton arriving puts a wrench in his plans. Go Colton!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Magnify3 wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 12:42 The cover and the word 'prairie' drew me to your review. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! Sounds like a good read. Thanks for the review!
It is an interesting story. I definitely enjoyed it. :)
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Miller56 wrote: 12 Dec 2019, 16:10 Thanks for the review. This sounds like an interesting book. I have read a couple with similar sounding plots, but I think I would enjoy this one.
It's a good story with interesting characters. I hope you like it!
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Ever_Reading wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 00:57 This sounds like the kind of warm romance I usually enjoy. It always gets tricky when a friend makes a move on his friend's wife, widow on not. I'm inclined to check this out. Too bad for the errors. Great review!
Even with the errors, I enjoyed the story. I love the term "warm romance." That's exactly what this story is. :)
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Nisha Ward wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 21:07 One must wonder why exactly McCurdy wants to get his hands on Hannah and if it has anything to do with her farm. I'm thinking it's probably a way to get the land and Colton arriving puts a wrench in his plans. Go Colton!
I wondered whether McCurdy had ulterior motives throughout the book. It was an interesting read! :)
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

Thanks for the review, it sounds like an interesting read. I will be checking this out.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”