Official Review: The Unforgettable Miss Baldwin

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Unforgettable Miss Baldwin

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Unforgettable Miss Baldwin" by Gail Ingis.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Unforgettable Miss Baldwin (Gilded Age Heiresses Book 1), by Gail Ingis, centers on Allie Baldwin, a young woman from a wealthy New York family who is dedicating her life to improving women's rights, particularly their right to vote. Allie’s father owns a paper, and she is lucky enough to work as one of his journalists. Though Mr. Baldwin would prefer Allie write society pieces, her goal is to push boundaries and create more meaningful articles about the important political movement going on around her. Unfortunately, not all of Allie’s readers are happy with the focus of her nontraditional writing. As Allie works to learn more about the importance of women earning the vote, her father hires Peter, a handsome security agent, as Allie’s protector. Although Allie is steadfast in her political ideas, she can’t help but be taken with Peter’s dashing good looks.

This book is well written, and Ingis shows a knack for writing historical fiction. Most notably, the author’s descriptions and use of dialogue create an immersive setting by staying true to the time period. Details about garments, food, and New York City help transport the reader to the past in a fluid manner, without taking away from the storytelling. Further, the conversations between Allie and her family, and Allie and Peter, were appropriate given the societal rules of the period. Additionally, the narrative was mostly error free.

Throughout the novel, there is a mystery about the identity of a person sending threatening letters and packages to Allie. The content of the mysterious mail makes it clear Allie is being targeted for her forward-thinking articles. The use of an overarching plot created intrigue and aided the story’s pacing. The author also included a couple of enjoyable peripheral characters that added an entertaining touch to the narrative: Captyn, Allie’s Great Dane, and Mia, Allie’s sister, accompany Allie and Peter on multiple adventures. The two characters provide a humorous break from the on-going tension between Allie and Peter.

However, Allie’s character proved tiresome at times. Her enthusiasm about women’s suffrage, though commendable, wasn’t wholly believable. Allie comes from a wealthy family and has a revolutionary job, considering the time period. Though her career adds to her persona as a strong-willed woman wanting to create change, Allie never encounters trying experiences or intrinsic hardships that would strengthen her convictions and show the reader why she feels so strongly about the movement. The character comes across as a privileged young woman who has made women’s suffrage her hobby. Further, Allie gets out of sticky situations easily; her family goes along with Allie's ideas even though they may not fully agree; and Allie's inner struggle regarding the handsome Peter and the idea of marriage is resolved too easily. By the end of the novel, it is clear Allie isn’t truly willing to break out of the role society deems fit for her.

Although this novel doesn’t work as an in-depth look at women’s suffrage or as an accurate portrayal of a woman fighting for her ideals, the book succeeds as a casual read: the plotting and historical setting are engaging, and the pacing is enjoyable. Readers will enjoy this book if they are looking for a light read that's well written, has a touch of romance, and focuses on a strong-willed female protagonist. Since I enjoyed the overall plot arc of this story and found merit in the writing, The Unforgettable Miss Baldwin earns 3 out of 4 stars. If Allie was a more in-depth character, I would have considered a higher rating.

The Unforgettable Miss Baldwin
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Adina Lutinger
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adina-lutinger.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Adina Lutinger »

This seemed like a flawless book at first, but the lack of challenges and character development for Allie is a serious con for me. However, this still sounds like a book I would love to read. Thank you very much for your wonderful review.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This is quite interesting and commendable for a rich lady to wish to write on women rights. But as usual love threatens to spoil for her. I hope to read the novel. Thanks for the wonderful review.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

The premise of the book is quite fresh, so it's such a shame that ultimately, it did not reach its potential. The lack of challenges is particularly disappointing.
Thanks for the detailed review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Madiha_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-madiha.html
Latest Review: A King Amongst Us by A.D. Lewis

Post by Madiha_ »

Just by reading this review I want to read the book, it draws my attention the fact that a woman works in a newspaper and reinvindicates women's rights in that period. It is definitely an intriguing review.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This does end up seeming more like a romance with Allie falling for "Peter's dashing good looks." I like the fact that the author has mixed in a mystery and also some enjoyable characters. Great review.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It's weird that Allie isn't more believable, considering she is the main character, but I guess some sacrifices have to be made for this setup to work as well as it does? I can definitely see the romance and the mystery going well in hand here though.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I would appreciate it if Allie didn't come from a wealthy family, that way the challenges would make her character more believable. Thanks for the wonderful review
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

I found the title humorous mostly because of the character's surname. However your review is quite extensive and it makes it quite clear that this book is not for me. Thank you for your review!
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”