Official Review: "GalveStorm 1900: A Story of Twin F...

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Official Review: "GalveStorm 1900: A Story of Twin F...

Post by kislany »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of ""GalveStorm 1900: A Story of Twin Flames"" by Ervin Mendlovitz.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

GalveStorm 1900: A Story of Twin Flames is a historical novel featuring Uri Petrokov, a Russian immigrant who, together with his brother, left the cold and harsh homeland for a better life in America. He moved to Galveston, Texas, where he lived for several years. This is Uri’s tale which started in 1898 when Uri was 25.

Uri was working with his brother at their shop called The Galveston Printing Company when one day it happened: he saw the one, his twin flame, and his life was never the same again.

I loved the way the author described the strong bond between Uri and Genevieve Parker. After reading the book, I found it difficult to disregard the notion of twin flames. Genevieve was rather forward and modern for a woman of her time. While most people in Texas distrusted Russian immigrants, Genevieve felt only love for Uri, and nothing deterred her from holding on to that love and passion with all her heart.

Uri was a man who had everything, lost a lot, but went on despite the many adversities in his life. He was a character I could easily warm up to. Despite all his issues with the locals, his outlook on life was quite positive and optimistic.

The tale takes the reader from the late 1800s to the horrific hurricane that took Galveston by storm in 1900. The story is fictional; however, it is based on a major tragic event unknown to me before reading the book. The author added many real-life details, which made me believe I was reading a memoir of the times, albeit a fictive one. I found his research on the hurricane impressive.

A big chunk of the story deals with the aftermath of the hurricane, along with its effects on Uri’s family, which prompted the main character’s decision to alter the course of his entire life. The losses most people experienced during the hurricane were terrible, and Ervin Mendlovitz captured those emotions quite well. He gave the people in town an air of authenticity and made the readers feel a strong kinship with them.

The story is easy to read with no awkward phrases found in books written by first-time authors. The dialogue is natural, and places and events are well described. In terms of editing, I found a few punctuation issues. There were some wrongly placed commas, missing periods, and names of places were not capitalized.

My only issue with the book has to do with the title. Amazon shows the title as GalveSton 1900, hinting at the catastrophic event in that small Texas town at the turn of the century. Yet, both the copy I’m reading and the author’s Facebook page show the title as GalveStorm 1900, which makes me wonder: Which title is the correct one?

Overall, I enjoyed reading this book. Few stories made me shed a tear while reading, but this one did. Hence, despite the few grammatical issues, I give it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend GalveStorm 1900: A Story of Twin Flames to people who read historical romance novels. Those who enjoy fictional biographies will probably love it as well.

"GalveStorm 1900: A Story of Twin Flames"
View: on Bookshelves
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

This sounds like a pretty cool book. I have read a few historical fiction before. Not too much though. Looks like you thoroughly enjoyed the book. And I absolutely love the concept of twin flame. Will definitely check this one out. Thanks for a wonderful review!!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't usually read stories like this, but you've made it sound interesting despite the title confusion. The romance included gives me pause about reading the story, though. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This is not something I would typically go for, but it sounds like an emotional and unique read. Thanks for your great review! Cheers:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This looks interesting. I like how the author weaves the historical aspects into the romance. This one goes on my list! Thanks.
Sayano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sayano »

I loved the way the author described the strong bond between Uri and Genevieve Parker. After reading the book, I found it difficult to disregard the notion of twin flames. Genevieve was rather forward and modern for a woman of her time. While most people in Texas distrusted Russian immigrants, Genevieve felt only love for Uri, and nothing deterred her from holding on to that love and passion with all her heart.......
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

sursangeet_2000 wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 10:35 This sounds like a pretty cool book. I have read a few historical fiction before. Not too much though. Looks like you thoroughly enjoyed the book. And I absolutely love the concept of twin flame. Will definitely check this one out. Thanks for a wonderful review!!
Thank you. It is a great book, if you like historical fiction, it's well-worth picking it up.
kandscreeley wrote: 13 Sep 2019, 17:58 I don't usually read stories like this, but you've made it sound interesting despite the title confusion. The romance included gives me pause about reading the story, though. Thanks.
Yes, there is a strong element of romance there, but it's a clean romance, nothing heavy, and I really didn't find it take away from the plot. Thank you for stopping by.
Meg98 wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 22:15 This is not something I would typically go for, but it sounds like an emotional and unique read. Thanks for your great review! Cheers:)
Indeed, it is :)
kdstrack wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 17:28 This looks interesting. I like how the author weaves the historical aspects into the romance. This one goes on my list! Thanks.
I think you will enjoy it.
Sayano wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 13:52 I loved the way the author described the strong bond between Uri and Genevieve Parker. After reading the book, I found it difficult to disregard the notion of twin flames. Genevieve was rather forward and modern for a woman of her time. While most people in Texas distrusted Russian immigrants, Genevieve felt only love for Uri, and nothing deterred her from holding on to that love and passion with all her heart.......
It's true, the notion of twin flames is worth keeping in mind. It might actually exist, who knows.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Wait, is the flame thing a metaphor or about soulmates? Also, building a story around a storm successfully always makes for a fun read, so the rating seems well warranted.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

Nisha Ward wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 07:53 Wait, is the flame thing a metaphor or about soulmates? Also, building a story around a storm successfully always makes for a fun read, so the rating seems well warranted.
Yes, in the book twin flames are soul mates, although generally, twin flames have a much stronger bond with each other than soul mates. But yes, for the purpose of this story, the two mean the same.
Jeffmaria
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jeffmaria »

I'm not a fan of reading books but somehow this book got my attention. I want to read more stories like this.
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

Jeffmaria wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 02:24 I'm not a fan of reading books but somehow this book got my attention. I want to read more stories like this.
This is a site for people who love to read books, so I am a bit confused about your comment.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I don't usually enjoy the historical romance genre but from the information, I have obtained from your review. I can also easily relate to the character of Uri and would like to see how this story pans out. Thanks for the great review.
kislany
Currently Reading:

Post by kislany »

It is a good book, I think you will enjoy it.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”