Official Review: The Sound of Spring by G.X. Chen

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Official Review: The Sound of Spring by G.X. Chen

Post by Yoli García »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sound of Spring" by G.X. Chen.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The year 1976 has just begun in China. Chun Ming is a twenty-two-year-old factory worker with a sixth-grade level education, like most people of her age. She is deeply in love with her boyfriend, Fang Si Jun, who the bosses at the factory consider has a political future within the Communist Party. Meanwhile, the political current in China is changing, and groups are rising against the harsh stances of the Cultural Revolution that started in 1966. Chun Ming’s cousin, Jian Huan, and his girlfriend, Lin Nan, are among the so-called counterrevolutionaries. On top of that, her dad, the chief engineer of Project 114, is being accused of being a counterrevolutionary. What is Project 114? What will happen to Chun Ming’s family members? How will the political climate affect Chun Ming’s relationship with Fang Si Jun?

The Sound of Spring by G.X. Chen is a novella consisting of 130 pages that belongs to the romance and historical fiction genres. It centers around the romantic relationship between Chun Ming and Fan Si Jun during the last months of the Cultural Revolution. Chen has a poetic writing style, which is rich in vocabulary. The following is an example of her lovely prose: “The stars in the sky were smiling and singing, sharing our joy. The palm trees moved with their arms, as if dancing, as if nodding. A bright moon hung in the night sky, like a silver mirror, reflecting a pair of lovers cuddling under the trees.”

Besides Chen’s talent with words, my favorite aspect of this novella was that I learned much about the consequences of the Cultural Revolution in China. Its primary purpose was to eradicate capitalism in China. I knew that, but I was not aware of the extreme tactics the government implemented to achieve its goal. Education after sixth grade was eliminated. Most people had to be factory workers. Published books were forbidden unless these came from the nationalized bookseller, Xinhua Bookstore. Another example is that people could only eat with chopsticks.

A professional must have edited the book, as I only found two grammatical errors. Despite this fact and that Chen’s writing is sophisticated, I did not enjoy some elements of the book. Chen overuses exclamation marks and ellipses. These writing techniques made the novella overly dramatic for my taste. I thought that Chun Ming expressed herself too eloquently for having a sixth-grade level education. And, I prefer when an author shows rather than tells. This story is told from Chun Ming’s point of view, and she mostly tells all that happens. At times, I thought the narration sounded like a memoir.

Considering all of the statements mentioned above, I rate The Sound of Spring 3 out of 4 stars. Chen’s has a talent with words and vocabulary, and the readers will learn about the Cultural Revolution and its implications. However, the writing could use some style and tone improvements. I would recommend this novella to fans of romance and historical fiction.

The Sound of Spring
View: on Bookshelves
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

"The Sound of Spring" by G.X.Chen.This is a novella that centers around the romantic relationship between Chun Ming and Fan Si Jun during the last month of the Cultural Revolution in China.When new radical political system comes in to being it leads to transformation.The same happened with the Cultural Revolution in China where its main purpose was to eradicate Capitalism and visibly bringing uniformity for all.The author says under this system education beyond grade sixth was not allowed and every one had to be factory workers and people could eat with chopsticks was the prevalent system.The novella seems the memoir of Chung Ming.
This novella is useful for those interested in romance and historical fiction.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

This is a thrilling read that could stir a romantic heart. Women will usually adjust their schedules to facilitate the reading of this one. Not me, I prefer spy thrillers and SciFi. But a change of cultural orientation in the books I read would provide diversity in my reading experience. I might give this one a try. Thanks for this nice review.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I glazed over your "dislikes" because you had already convinced me with that lovely quote from the book. The cultural information that you have alluded to also looks intriguing. This looks like an author I would like to get to know. Thanks for the wonderful review!
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

The Cultural Revolution in China is an interesting touchwtone. I've seen some interesting cinema come out of it but it's nice to see literature that revisits it as well. Chen Ming's story is fascinating and I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it more. Still, I can tell that you liked the historical aspects of it. Thanks for reviewing!
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A historical romance revolving around a love affair that takes place during the Cultural Revolution in China sounds lovely. I wonder how the political climate affects the relationships of the couple. Too bad about the overuse of exclamation marks and the dramatic writing techniques. At least it was well edited. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

This is a historical fiction novel highlighting a romantic tale set during a cultural and political revolution in china. The book is temporarily free on Amazon Kindle and has a unique OnlineBookClub review. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars. Congrats @gxchen1 on being the BOTD.
Navdha Gupta
Currently Reading: the alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Navdha Gupta »

This kinda sounds interesting. Firstly, because I would actually get to learn a lot from this book. And secondly, the language described seems fascinating.
This looks like a short book and I would surely love to get my hands around it.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

I love the way the author uses words to describe the opening scene in the book. Great review!
green2read
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-green2read.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by green2read »

I found the review informative and well-written. However, I also found some repetitive elements, such as words about what was learned about the revolution in China. I believe leaving the details of the Chinese daily life to the act of reading would let the book be more effective in that the surprise and sympathy would be more spontaneous.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

This romance is set during the oncoming of the Culteral Revolution in China. The writing sounds very elegant and the book was edited well.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

This sounds like a lovely romance that is eloquently written. Thanks for the recommendation.
tarafarah7
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Today's BOTD is for fans of historical fiction and romance, as well as lovers of language. Figurative language fills the pages, helping readers get a deeper sense of what's happening in the story. It's a bit too overdone for my liking, but I think many will find it to be beautifully written. Thank you for your review!! :-)
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

It sounds like this author has woven a romantic tale with historical elements crafted in. It always nice to read a book that teaches history while a plot unfolds around it. I will have to check into this one further.
Everything happens for a reason...
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

Seems interesting but I will pass because I do not have an interest in the setting this novella takes place in.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”