Official Review: Across the Bridge by Kristin Neva

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: Across the Bridge by Kristin Neva

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Across the Bridge" by Kristin Neva.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Across the Bridge (A Copper Island Novel Book Three) by Kristin Neva is in the Christian Romance genre. The setting is in a small town of Quincy in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan called the UP. Drew Smith and his ten-year-old son, AJ, move from the downstate area (the Lower Peninsula) to the UP where Drew’s in-laws live. He hopes that his deceased wife’s parents will help him with AJ, as he feels he needs some support raising a son alone. They find a duplex to rent where Marcella Seppa lives and rents from her father. Marcella and Drew are attracted to one another, but neither one is ready for a relationship.

Marcella is a massage therapist, who enjoys gardening, drinking peppermint tea, and riding her bike to work. She is very angry and bitter towards God because she believes that God let her down by not answering her prayers to heal her mother of cancer when Marcella was just 15 years old. Drew had a difficult marriage with Kristine, who drank alcohol often and argued with him. When she died in a car crash, he has not yet let go of guilt feelings and grief of his loss. AJ struggles with the loss of his mother and moving to a new town. How will Marcella and Drew learn to love again? Will AJ adjust and be happy to a new home and school? What will Drew and AJ discover about themselves and others in the UP?

The loss of a parent, cancer, disease, old age, caring for an elderly, faith in God, love, and relationships are some of the issues and situations in this story. On the lighter side, Mak was a Finnish character, who wrote Amish Romance novels based on the lives around him. He had a female pen name. He and Louisa used Finnish words and expressions. Louisa was Marcella’s patient and her friend’s, Beth’s, grandmother, who had ALS. (ALS is a rare neurological disease that affects the voluntary muscles.)

While I was reading the book, I did not know that there was a glossary of the Finnish words used and an explanation of what the UP was at the end of the book. One of the things that I least liked was the fact that there was no explanation until page 111 for the UP abbreviation, and I was not familiar with what a “Yoop” was, as it was also explained in the glossary. I think that it would have been better for the reader’s experience for the author to have either mentioned what the UP abbreviation was or have the words highlighted and linked to the glossary. The author could also mention the glossary in a Foreword. That put aside, the story moved a little slow for my taste, and the reader was aware of facts before the characters were, since it was written from a third person’s perspective. There did not seem to be any surprises or twists and turns in the story. It had a satisfying ending with a possible lead to another book in the series.

I best liked that the book did, after all, shed some understanding about Michigan and Finnish food and expressions. I am sure I would not have been so lost if I had read the first two books in the series. Some of the minor characters must have been introduced in the other books because I did not know who they were or how they fit into this book.

The book was extremely written well, as I did not notice any errors with only one exception. At the end of the book, the book names of the series were listed, and book one was erroneously titled, Across the Bridge when it should have been Snow Country. Because of the real-life issues making the story believable and realistic, I rate Across the Bridge by Kristin Neva 3 out of 4 stars and not a two-star rating. I liked that there was no profanity or sexual content, which makes this book suitable for young or sensitive readers to those things. However, I do not believe that this book is a four-star rating due to the predictability and the assumptions made that the reader knew about Michigan and the minor characters. This book would appeal most to readers who like Christian romance and who have read the first two books in the series. People who like a lot of unpredictability and a fast-paced book would like this book the least.

Across the Bridge
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

Thank you for a great review. Unfortunately I am not the targeted market for the book but it sure sounds like there are many meaningful lessons one can leave with when done reading the book.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I'm more a fan of the action/thriller genre, so I would probably find this book too slow-paced for my liking. But thank you for your review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a unique and interesting read. This type of genre isn't really my thing, so I will pass for now. Thank you for your great review!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like a good clean romance every once in a while. This one might be a bit slow for me, though. The Finnish words would be educational. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 509
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 16%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

A Christian romance sounds like a much-needed break from the romances that include sex, sex, and more sex! I have become tired of reading books like that. Real true love is something that I want to read about. In fact, I think that these kinds of books are necessary, so young people can be shown a better way to love in a romantic way. Thank you for such a great review!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Laila Hashem
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laila-hashem.html
Latest Review: How to be a SuperStar Salesperson by Audri White

Post by Laila Hashem »

Yikes. The glossary thing would really confuse me too. The plotline sounds really great nonetheless. Thanks for the reveiw!
marshovela
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by marshovela »

This book by the looks it is pleasing because the way the romance is being shown is also favourable for young guys to get to know about real love in a romantic way. This is nice. Thanks for the review

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”