Official Review: Jesus comes to Jingletown by Dale Trujillo

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Official Review: Jesus comes to Jingletown by Dale Trujillo

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Jesus comes to Jingletown" by Dale Trujillo.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Very few of us get the opportunity to live an eventful life and reminisce about it. In his memoir, Jesus Comes to Jingletown, Dale Trujillo chronicles his life story.
"Jingletown was full of a variety of characters with colorful personalities."
Jingletown is the place where the author grew up. He moved here at the age of three. His father, a World War II veteran, soon became an alcoholic and abandoned their family. Dale, along with his mother and half-brother, Dennis, had to undergo a lot of hardships to survive. There was a time when they had to steal to fill their bellies. Despite this, Dale had a quaint childhood. Together with the Jingletown kids, he formed a group called the “fellas". They encountered many different personalities like the Blind Man, Stepper, Kicker, Carver, etc. Some of them were kind while some were downright evil. Their gang got into many adventures. Soon, Dale's mother remarried. His step-father, Jim, was a hardworking man who provided for the family. Their happiness was complete when little Denise was born. However, Denise died of a tumour at the tender age of six. This left Dale distraught. While his family parents turned to Jesus, he no longer believed in God. Soon he fell in love. When he turned eighteen, he joined the navy. After serving his time in Vietnam, he returned to the States. However, things became difficult for him.

Will Dale overcome his difficulties? Will he find peace? All these questions are answered in his story, Jesus Comes to Jingletown.

Jesus Comes to Jingletown takes the reader on a roller-coaster ride. Trujillo truly pours his heart out in this book. He recounts the “Sunday picnics, drippy ice cream cones at the local Frosty-Freeze drive-in, families together watching G-rated friendly T.V. programs, and hot summer nights at the drive-in picture show” that was prevalent in the 1950s. On the other hand, he also talks about the drug problem that was slowly creeping in the American society. I also liked the way he portrayed the plight of the Vietnam veterans. At that time, the entire society was against them and branded them as “baby killers". After all the hardships they faced in Vietnam, there was nobody they could turn to when they returned home. I truly felt bad for them.

The writing style of the author is pretty straight-forward. He engages the reader by addressing him in between the text. This makes the reader feel like a part of Dale's journey. I really liked this.

Despite the positive points, there were a number of shortcomings in this book. There was a plethora of errors throughout the book. Also, I feel that the book could be shortened as many parts were repeated. This made it a bit redundant. I did not like this. I believe that this book definitely needs a round of editing and proofreading.

Keeping in mind the pros and cons, I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. Had it not been for the errors, I would have given it another star. I would recommend this book to those who like to read about people finding Jesus. I believe people who like memoirs may also enjoy this book.

Jesus comes to Jingletown
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
OuKoyoo
Currently Reading: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oukoyoo.html
Latest Review: Do I Need a Will or a Trust by Taylor Willingham

Post by OuKoyoo »

This sounds like a great story. I love the fact that the author's writing style is pretty straight-forward and engages the reader making one to feel like a part of the character's journey. Thank you for the review.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Wow! The author has, definitely, led an eventful and challenging life. I'm not especially interested in the spiritual part, but I enjoy memoirs and I'm fascinated by the description of life and society in the 1950s. Hopefully, the book will get a second round of editing because it seems like it has great potential.
Thank you for your review!
Wanjugush
Favorite Author: Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
Favorite Book: Becoming
Currently Reading: Finding A Job in Tough Times
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wanjugush.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer by Julie Penshorn
fav_author_id: 2734

Post by Wanjugush »

This would have been a beautiful memoir but the errors and poor editing detracts from it. I don't think I can read this one. Great review though.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”