Official Review: A Week in Time. by Bett Rose.

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Official Review: A Week in Time. by Bett Rose.

Post by Julie Petitbon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "A Week in Time." by Bett Rose..]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“For all man’s stupidity, the light within us all survives and shines even in the most horrific circumstances.”

A Week in Time by Bett Rose is a story of hope. Taking place within one week, it is a snapshot into the lives, relationships, and daily happenings of a group of working-class friends living in a small London neighborhood during World War II. A character-driven story, it introduces a menagerie of interesting neighbors.

Frances and Eliza work long hours in an engineering factory while waiting for their men to come home from the war. Frances faces the fear that her husband may be missing in action, while Eliza embraces the freedom of not being bound by societal expectations for the first time in her life. Norma is also waiting for her husband to return. She spends her days waiting in line for food rations and taking care of her four daughters. Ruby is an independent woman who ponders her budding relationship with James, a handsome American soldier. Violet and Harold worry that their sons, both fighter pilots, won’t return. These characters are connected by the war. They rely on each other for comfort, support, advice, and encouragement throughout the story.

I like that, though the story is about serious topics, the author manages to add a bit of levity to the plot. Instead of focusing on the horrors of war, Rose highlights the hope and friendships that the characters manage to eke out even though fear and death surround them. At one point in the story, for example, several characters have an impromptu party. They sing and dance and laugh, enjoying themselves just one day after their area suffered heavy bombing. They embrace the relief and the joy of surviving instead of focusing on the broken and shattered remains of their neighborhood.

I also like how effectively the author integrates bits of historically accurate information into the story. Early in the piece, for example, Norma talks about recent speeches by Winston Churchill. The powerful and encouraging words give her hope and make her feel brave. The story also includes air raids, black-outs and evacuation failures from the London Blitz. Using references like this throughout the story adds to the realism of the piece.

I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is an optimistic story that focuses on themes of love and perseverance and of staying strong in the face of fear. It also emphasizes the powerful bonds of friendship. There are some grammatical errors, especially run-on sentences, which is why I deducted a point. However, these errors could easily be remedied by a proofreader or editor.

I would recommend A Week in Time to readers who like historical fiction. It is a relatively short piece, so readers who are looking for a lengthy, descriptive book might not enjoy it. However, people who like reading about World War II, friendships, and perseverance will love this heart-warming story.

A Week in Time.
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

Thanks for the review! I enjoyed reading it.
Princesstemmy1993
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Princesstemmy1993 »

I love the review I will love to read the book just to know whether frances and Eliza husbands latter come back from battle harmfuly or harmlessly
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

There have been many stories written about WWII. The best ones, though, are the ones that are a little off from most - the ones that discuss those left behind instead of those off at war. This definitely seems to fit that bill. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Magnify3 wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 02:02 Thanks for the review! I enjoyed reading it.
Thank you for commenting! :)
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Princesstemmy1993 wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 03:50 I love the review I will love to read the book just to know whether frances and Eliza husbands latter come back from battle harmfuly or harmlessly
I think you will enjoy the book. Thanks for responding!
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

kandscreeley wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 08:59 There have been many stories written about WWII. The best ones, though, are the ones that are a little off from most - the ones that discuss those left behind instead of those off at war. This definitely seems to fit that bill. Thanks!
I agree. I think that's what I like most about this story - It's a bit different from the typical WWII read. Thanks for commenting! :)
LPovinelli86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lpovinelli86.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by LPovinelli86 »

After reading this review I feel compelled to read the book. I am a huge fan of good character development in stories especially linked to real world events. I may bring this book to the beach with my on my vacation next week!
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I think it's so interesting to read about the lives of those left behind during WWII. This book provides an interesting perspective. Thanks for the review!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

LPovinelli86 wrote: 01 Jul 2019, 19:15 After reading this review I feel compelled to read the book. I am a huge fan of good character development in stories especially linked to real world events. I may bring this book to the beach with my on my vacation next week!
This I should definitely a character- driven book. I also like the real-world links in the story. Hope you like it and have fun at the beach!
Julie Petitbon

Post by Julie Petitbon »

danielleamy wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 10:57 I think it's so interesting to read about the lives of those left behind during WWII. This book provides an interesting perspective. Thanks for the review!
I agree. The time period is interesting, and this book offers a unique perspective. Thanks for responding. :D
Mangata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Mangata »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 11:04 They sing and dance and laugh, enjoying themselves just one day after their area suffered heavy bombing. They embrace the relief and the joy of surviving instead of focusing on the broken and shattered remains of their neighborhood.
I guess the war can take away many things, but it could never reach the joviality of the soul, without our permission. I love these characters and I'm impressed by the author's perspective on the war. Great review! Thanks!
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Post by janelwhite »

How interesting that this book truly is about just one week in time. What interesting characters, and I love how their stories are intertwined. Thank you for that insightful review.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

It does sound like an interesting story. Thank you for the insightful review, Julie Petitbon. Excellent review, Julie Petitbon.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”