Official Review: Broken Circle by Amy McKinley

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Official Review: Broken Circle by Amy McKinley

Post by lavellan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Broken Circle" by Amy McKinley.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Liv seems to have it all; she’s a successful artist, possesses a sizeable fortune, and has a doting husband. Alex, her husband, is the perfect partner. He’s sensitive to her needs and supportive, something Liv did not experience under the watch of her high-society parents. All this changes after Liv reveals her pregnancy to him. Suddenly, Alex transforms into a man she doesn’t recognize and starts acting strangely. He suggests that they visit his mother in Venezuela, triggering a chain of events that leads to Liv questioning the nature of their relationship. The main questions begging to be answered are “What is Alex’s true identity?” and “Will Liv and Alex’s relationship survive?” All of these and more are brought forth in Amy McKinley’s novel, Broken Circle.

Broken Circle hooked me from the start. I’m a sucker for a good mystery so I found myself glued to the pages to figure out Alex’s secretive backstory. The dual nature of Alex left me curious; I wanted to see which side of him was his true self: his kind and sensitive personality he displayed with Liv or his violent demeanor that emerged around his father and brother. McKinley does a superb job of developing her characters. Liv was believable and I could see myself acting similarly in her situation. I appreciated that Liv reacted in a realistic fashion toward traumatic events. Often, authors either have female characters act maudlin or seemingly get over the situation instantaneously. This was not the case in Broken Circle. Additionally, I really enjoyed the descriptions of Venezuela. I could picture Margarita Island, the place where Alex grew up, in my mind through McKinley’s vivid depictions of the tropical scenery.

The only improvement I can think of for the novel regards the general friendliness and willingness to help shown by Liam, a kind man who aids Liv, and his friends. For the most part, the characters that helped Liv were all extraordinarily helpful and kind. It would have been nice if all the supporting characters had been developed more. However, this wasn’t a big issue for me because most of the focus was on Liv and Alex. Both of these characters were exquisitely developed and felt truly human in their virtues and vices.

Broken Circle was exceptionally edited. I only noticed two minor errors while reading the novel. One example included the use of “waivered” instead of “wavered”.

Overall, I happily rate Broken Circle 4 out of 4 stars. There was very little that I disliked about the book, and I appreciated its nearly flawless editing. I was on the edge of my seat trying to figure out the mystery of Alex’s identity and to see if Liv would get the happy ending she deserved. I would recommend this work to readers who enjoy books with a dash of mystery and drama. Broken Circle does contain some depictions of violence; audiences who are sensitive to this sort of content may need to steer clear of it.

Broken Circle
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like lavellan's review? Post a comment saying so!
pjjones6969
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pjjones6969.html
Latest Review: Looking Glass Friends by E L Neve

Post by pjjones6969 »

This sounds like an interesting read. I rarely read romance novels but this one has piqued my interest. I'm curious to learn more about the relationship between these two characters. Thank you for your time and your great review.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Sounds good but not my thing right now. I'm definitely sensitive to certain things you mentioned at the moment due to outside factors, so I'm afraid I gotta pass up on what seems to be a great read.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
phills
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by phills »

Broken Circle" by Amy McKinley.]
This novel unveiled some ill faith that is attached to one relationship or another, most relationship are not pronounced some coup fell in love without knowing exactly what the man needed at that particular period..
This story teaches us how important it is for us to At least understand the base of any relationship we are getting involve to
Thanks...
TheBookNookLover
Currently Reading: We Hunt the Flame
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by TheBookNookLover »

I think this review was very well done. She gave enough information about the book to intrigue readers and make them feel confident that this would be a good book to read without giving away too much. She makes it clear that this story is believable and the characters are relatable, especially the female character Liv.
DeejaneBatino27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deejanebatino27.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by DeejaneBatino27 »

Sounds interesting! I wanted to read it. I love romance and suspense story.
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

Wow! The synopsis's scruples does give credit to this read. Looking forward to it. Thank you!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! You've gotten me very curious as to why Liv's pregnancy changes everything. I'm glad this one was so well done. Thanks for introducing us to it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

You have piqued my interest about Alex's split personality. I would also like to read the descriptions of Venezuela. This is an intriguing review. Well done!
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

oh i'm intrigued! I need to read this

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”