Official Review: The Artist’s Special Touch

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Official Review: The Artist’s Special Touch

Post by Mindi »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Artist’s Special Touch" by River Wild.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I read The Artist's Special Touch by River Wild, and this is a story that definitely leaves a lasting impression on my heart. This touching first novel by the author is a simple, easy-to-read story, yet the storyline still has a depth that will keep the reader immersed until the end.

This book is about a young man named Jackson Henderson who lives with his single mother in the coastal town of Folly Beach, South Carolina. Everything about the town is picturesque, and the story follows Jackson through his late childhood and teenage years in the 1970s and 1980s, as well as into adulthood. Jackson learns at a young age that he loves to paint, and he becomes very talented at it as he starts painting different scenes that he encounters in real life. Much of the story is also about other events of his childhood and the people in his town who help to shape him into the man he becomes. When he is in high school, he meets a waitress named Hannah, who he falls in love with, and the story takes a turn toward romance as Jackson begins to interact more with Hannah. From that point on, there are some unexpected twists and turns to the story that will keep the reader engaged in the lives of the characters.

The author's writing style was very simple, and at first, it may seem that the story is just basic dialogue and events of Jackson's childhood. However, when you continue to read, the characters really come to life, and you realize how they all have a purpose in who Jackson is becoming. There are many very touching moments between Jackson and the people in town, especially Mr. Willie, a man who gives Jackson a job at his automotive business and who becomes like a father to him, being that Jackson's dad lives far away. About halfway through the book, some time after Jackson and Hannah meet, the story really starts to take a turn, and many unexpected twists and emotional events take place. The title of the book will take on a new meaning as an interesting twist to the story takes place, and from there, it is an emotional ride all the way to the end of the book.

While I was reading the book, I happened to think about how many aspects of it reminded me of the country song Paint Me a Birmingham. What is interesting is that I looked up the author after reading the book, and I read an interview with him that states he was inspired by that song! The story is definitely heart-warming and has a southern, small town feel to it.

The only negative to the book is that there are several grammatical errors. Mainly, it was misplaced commas and apostrophes. Sometimes, a comma was where a period needed to be, making a run-on sentence. As far as the story itself goes, I would give 4 stars, but I cannot do that due to the errors.

Overall, I will rate this book 3 out of 4 stars**. However, I would encourage you to not be deterred from reading the story because of that. Being a first book for this author, I think he has done a supreme job of telling this story. When you really get into this book, it will give you chills and leave a lasting heart-warming impression. I saw that this author is writing another book, and I am looking forward to reading it. I feel like the editing will take a turn for the better in future books, and I hope all his books become successful, because I see great potential in his writing. I would recommend this book to anyone wanting an easy, yet emotional story about faith, love, and friendship.

**The minor editing issues in the book have been fixed and the reviewer has upgraded the rating to 4 out of 4.

The Artist’s Special Touch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mindi's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

At least these types of errors can be fixed easily. This sounds like a drama, as it follows this boy's life. I'm not sure it's for me, but I enjoyed your review. I love that it was based on that country song. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

It seems you really enjoyed the book. Well-developed characters and plots make a book worth reading, and I am glad to see that the author paid attention to the development. Great review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

You have made me curious about the title! I like that you pointed that Mr. Willie became like a father to him. I wonder if the book explains why his father isn't around? Thanks for the recommendation.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like a very good and relaxing read :) I would definitely check this one out even in spite of the mentioned above grammatical errors. An artist's love story with twists and turns is worth reading, in my opinion. Thanks for a great review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a character driven story. I hope the author fixes the errors soon, as this might be something I would like to read in the future. Thank you for a wonderful review!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

This sounds like a lovely read. I don't mind commas or other grammar errors.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
maggi3
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggi3.html
Latest Review: Paper Doll by Caitlin Strommen

Post by maggi3 »

It's nice that his first book was done so well. The errors are unfortunate, but they don't take away from my interest. I'll have to try this one out. Thanks for the review!
Pronouns: they/them

:gay-rainbow:
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I wonder if the 'special touch' has something to do with the supernatural? I'm intrigued by your review, thanks for the recommendation!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Omordah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Omordah »

Very informative and heartfelt review. You peeked my interest, and it sounds like a great beach day read. Thank you for your review!
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

This sounds like such a good read, thanks for reviewing.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”